Board logo

Who's installed a Nissan 200SX engine?
scoop - 25/5/09 at 06:59 AM

Thinking about fitting this engine to my Locost. Can you point me towards someone whos done it? I naturally have a few questions and would like to trawl their photo's.
Steve

Humbug - 25/5/09 at 07:53 AM

That's the engine Jasper has got in his Stylus

Paradoxia0 - 25/5/09 at 08:38 AM

I think that is what graemeMK has in his Indy...

Could be wrong though...

Mark

wilkingj - 25/5/09 at 08:53 AM

Check the nissan SX200 owners club site for known problems before you buy.

I believe they can suffer from a problem, which isnt cheap to fix (on high mileage / worn engines). Hence buying a good one in the first place will save you time, money and grief later on.

Excellent engine, my mates son has one. and it goes very well.

MakeEverything - 25/5/09 at 08:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Check the nissan SX200 owners club site for known problems before you buy.

I believe they can suffer from a problem, which isnt cheap to fix (on high mileage / worn engines). Hence buying a good one in the first place will save you time, money and grief later on.

Excellent engine, my mates son has one. and it goes very well.

Ditto for the 2.0 V6 FTO engine. I looked at one of these but they can be frought with problems that cost £££ to fix. - Particularly around the semi sequential gearboxes IIRC.

oudakontrol - 25/5/09 at 10:44 AM

Check out the PUMA cars in Australia. They fit the Nissan SR20 DET engines. The cars are 75mm wider and 50mm higher by memory to fit the engine and the alternator has been moved to the other side.
Great engine and good horse power.

Cheers

MickA - 25/5/09 at 11:27 AM

Scoop,
the SR20DET will virtually fit in a book chassis but we add 2" to the height as these motors are rather tall I have one fitted to mine but its 2"taller2"longer and 4"wider and it all looks uniform and yes the alternator is in the way of the steering column so it has to be relocated.
Cheers MickA from Australia

scoop - 25/5/09 at 03:17 PM

Thanks guys will check it all out and try to speak to those in the know
If i wanted their is a donor car going begging not too far away from me. Thinking of stripping it down over the summer and installing over the winter.

RK - 25/5/09 at 10:37 PM

I've fit a CA18DET, which is a bit smaller in output (173 HP supposedly) and 1.8 (instead of 2.0) than the SR20, but is a bit taller. Send me an email or u2u and I'll link you to my picasaweb site.

scoop - 26/5/09 at 07:22 AM

U2U sent RK. It may only be 173 standard but it looks easy to get a loads more out of it especially when your mate is Dave Green of Henstead Motorsport fame (if your into turbo'd Jap cars that is)
Steve