Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How does the GTS Bodywork attach?
craig1410

posted on 4/4/04 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
How does the GTS Bodywork attach?

Hi,
A quick question for Mark or Darren.
Do you guys have any details on the attachment points for your bodywork sets. In particular I am interested in where each piece of bodywork attached to the chassis so that I can weld suitable brackets onto my chassis prior to painting it. I don't want to order the bodywork until as late as possible because I don't have anywhere to store it safely while I work on other aspects of the car and in particular I would like to be done with welding cutting and grinding before I get the bodyparts delivered.

For example, for the scuttle, do I need any supporting structure underneath such as the "extra" cross tube and side tubes as detailed in "the book"?

And for the nosecone, do I need a lower mounting bracket as in the book?

Same sort of questions for the rear arches. Do you have details of the required curve required on the chassis to match the wings.

These questions may be answered in your build manual and if so then I don't mind buying it but it would be very useful if you could knock up some simple drawings of the mounting's required so that I can do as much prep in advance as possible.

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 4/4/2004 by craig1410]

dozracing

posted on 4/4/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Craig,

Very quick reply.

Scuttle bolts down onto chassia as does nose.

Rear wings bolt to chassis (2 places) and rear panel. I forget what the rear panel radius is, and the wheel arch but i'll measure it. Don't let me forget to measure it keep badgering me if you don't hear.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 4/4/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Darren,
So from what you are saying there are no "brackets" as such to be made up for the nosecone or scuttle, just something like rivnuts drilled into the existing chassis box section.

As for the rear arches, perhaps I am better waiting for them to be delivered before I try to create an appropriate flange to bolt them to. I expect that I have to fit the rear panel before I can fit the arches anyway yes?

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Cheers,
Craig.

dozracing

posted on 5/4/04 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Craig,

Yes your absolutely right.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
M@Triton

posted on 5/4/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Nice orderly fashion of rear panel and side panel then the wings....rivnuts for scuttle and if you are concerned about them spinning a cheaky wee blob of araldite or something similar is ideal to stop them doing a dance when you don't want them too.

Mark

craig1410

posted on 5/4/04 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark,
I've actually left an email for Darren with my order for a 7 piece body kit. I had a couple of final questions for him regarding the widths of the wheel arches but I don't expect this will be a problem. Let me know if Darren isn't around and perhaps I can forward the questions to you instead.
Cheers,
Craig.

James

posted on 16/4/04 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
If a windscreen is fitted to the scuttle I'd imagine that at speed there is an awful lot of force applied to the scuttle mounts via the windscreen. Are rivnuts strong enough for this sort of loading?

Cheers,

James

undecided

posted on 16/4/04 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
How else are you going to do though? And as nearly every seven is made and looks the same perhaps this is an issue with all of them?
I was informed by people i bought rivnuts from too glue them in as well using araldite.

Peteff

posted on 16/4/04 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
The bonnet holds the front of the scuttle down more than anything if it is a good fit.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Toolbox_USA

posted on 21/9/04 at 02:53 AM Reply With Quote
If you are concerned abuot the rivnut spinning, use a knurled body type rivnut. They are plenty strong, too - especially if you buy the ones with the larger top flange.

Try these - http://www.bollhoff-rivnut.com/id10.htm

There are vibration dampening ones as well. http://www.bollhoff-rivnut.com/id13.htm

Jeff

Jeff

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.