Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: upgrading brakes?
robby

posted on 16/11/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
upgrading brakes?

looked back, but canna find what i'm looking for! any suggestions for front calipers, using cortina just now, thinking maybe of wilwoods? cheers!
andyd

posted on 16/11/06 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Try Rally Design

Rally Design

You can buy a direct Wilwood replacement caliper for the standard Cortina M16 one.

[Edited on 16/11/2006 by andyd]

Andy

ned

posted on 16/11/06 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
or hi-spec, contact kitcar workshop, very reasonable aswell.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paublo999

posted on 16/11/06 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Bought Wilwood Powerlite front calipers for my Westie... lovely bits of kit. They are American, so just check that the fitting etc will match your hoses without lots of hassle...

I bought them from Rally Design following a power buy at the westfield sports car club wscc.co.uk, you could see if the discounts are still available. I managed to call up and get 20% off a year later..

Cheers
Paul

andyd

posted on 16/11/06 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
or hi-spec, contact kitcar workshop, very reasonable aswell.

Ah nice one Ned...

I've been designing with Wilwood in mind and swearing about the Imperial dimensions of their kit. Having now looked at the HiSpec website I'm a convert already!

For a 4 pot direct M16 replacement I think the Ultralite4 is the way to go. It's lighter than the Wilwood Billet Dynalite and they are a UK company... keep it in the country and all that.

Andy

robby

posted on 16/11/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
sound, looks like it'll be the ultralites, cheers!
MikeRJ

posted on 16/11/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone had problem using aftermarket calipers without dust seals? The ultralites etc. are sold as competition calipers rather than for road use and this is something that concerns me a bit. Is it worth the extra money for the fully dust sealed midilite calipers?
Gergely

posted on 16/11/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
I am just curious, why would you chose the UL2 when the UL4 is a 4 piston design, also a direct M16 replacement and the same weight (actually 5 grams lighter)? Is there any reason?
Gergely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyd

posted on 16/11/06 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gergely
I am just curious, why would you chose the UL2 when the UL4 is a 4 piston design, also a direct M16 replacement and the same weight (actually 5 grams lighter)? Is there any reason?
Gergely

Erm... whoops I think is the reason!
I named the link "4" and linked it to the "2's", sorry about the confusion.

Andy

andyd

posted on 16/11/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Has anyone had problem using aftermarket calipers without dust seals? The ultralites etc. are sold as competition calipers rather than for road use and this is something that concerns me a bit. Is it worth the extra money for the fully dust sealed midilite calipers?

Mike, are you talking Wilwood or HiSpec? From the HiSpec website I can't actually make my mind up if their Ultralites have dust seals or not.

Actually whilst I was typing this I had another look and HiSpec's Billet calipers state "fully dust sealed" whereas the Ultralites do not.

I'm guessing that the pistons may well be worse off with no dust seals on the Ultralites but they are made of stainless steel so they may be ok.

You're right though, it would be nice if someone has had some on the road for a while and could offer some kind of review.

I'm currently waiting on an email back from Richard at HiSpec so I may well ask the pointed question about expected road life without dust seals.

Andy

Hammerhead

posted on 16/11/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi-spec have had some bad press lately, allegedly the owner has a bad attitude towards customers.

Try a google search on hi-spec problems.

chriscook

posted on 16/11/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
The best thing to do if you want Hi-Spec calipers is to order them through the Kit Car Workshop as already suggested. Martin sells lots of them and I had good service from him - I found a small problem with my discs, i posted everything to him and he sorted it without involving Hi-Spec themselves. Sent me some new discs and pads to go with them with a couple of days.

Only had them on the road <2000 miles so can't comment on any seal issue or non-issue.

Chris

[Edited on 16/11/06 by chriscook]

Stu16v

posted on 16/11/06 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
Hi-spec have had some bad press lately, allegedly the owner has a bad attitude towards customers.

Try a google search on hi-spec problems.

In my (and others) experience, not just lately...
I tried ordering some brake stuff a few years ago when I was first building the car - and got let down.
So, after running the standard Cortina calipers for three years, in March of this year, I thought I would have another go. To cut a long story short, after repeated and fundemental problems, the kit finally went back for a full refund at the end of August this year. After what I saw, I personally wouldnt recommend HiSpec stuff to anyone...
Shame, because most folk who have got their stuff to fit speak highly of it, and it does look the part.

Dont just build it.....make it!

chockymonster

posted on 16/11/06 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the Raceleda R16 caliper.
4 pot caliper, light. Mnr list them on their website for £245 inc vat a pair.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

marc laptop

posted on 16/11/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
in december ( next batch arriving ) they are £230 inc vat

best regards marc

andyd

posted on 16/11/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead

Well I've had very prompt emails back from Richard in sales and although I've obviously not purchased anything yet I'm not getting any indication of unhelpfullness. In fact he's being very helpful to the extent of getting me Autocad files to make sure of my measurements etc.

I've also had a good email response from David at Kit Car Workshop (Fisher Sportscars) too.

I've yet to work out exactly what I need and who's able to give me the better deal so we'll see.

Andy

hughjinjin

posted on 16/11/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't recomend hi spec to anyone, at least not if you deal with them directly. I don't know if their stuff is any good or not but the sales side of the operation is appalling. I ordered brake discs from them nearly a year ago and am still waiting for them! I gave up phoning up to find out what was going on and bought some ap racing stuff instead.
I would go for the powerlite, but don't be fooled by weights published on their site, the brackets (alloy) that were supplied with my midilites weigh about 1/2kg each! plus the pads.

RazMan

posted on 16/11/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the lack of dust seals in these calipers, I have heard that it is never really an issue as the type of drivers that own them are more likely to inspect them and keep them clean - the best way to ensure that corrosion never takes a hold.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

DIY Si

posted on 16/11/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
They also tend to get used when it's warm/dry, rather than in the depths of winter when the roads are covered in salt.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

MikeRJ

posted on 17/11/06 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Regarding the lack of dust seals in these calipers, I have heard that it is never really an issue as the type of drivers that own them are more likely to inspect them and keep them clean - the best way to ensure that corrosion never takes a hold.

I have also heard that, but it's just silly IMO. How many people here regularly remove the pads and pump the pistons out to check for corrosion?

tomblyth

posted on 15/6/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
ul4 have dust seals
procomp

posted on 16/6/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi tried them all and it has to be willwood every time.

Are the kitcar workshop still in buisness after the owners accident and sale of fisher cars ?. As said reaserch the sheeer incomtatence of hi-specs supply and dealing of problems.

Outlaw calipers can be brought direct for less than £150 pair from the states.

Cheers matt

Deckman001

posted on 16/6/07 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, are all the calipers mentioned a direct replacement for the M16 Cortina one ?? Also, are they sva compliant as to pad retention ??

Jason

RazMan

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Wilwoods do an M16 equivalent. Rally design stock it here
I haven't heard of any pad retention issues with SVA and mine passed ok.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

iiyama

posted on 17/6/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Is there an issue with pad retention re Hi-Spec then?

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.