DavidW

posted on 13/11/13 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Take it from me, you can never have too many wheels, tyres, or engines

Well said that man!

yellowcab

posted on 14/11/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Col - I now have 5 sets of wheels in total (2 sets of 15s, and 3 sets of 13s)

I'll be selling them off & getting rid, only need two sets ideally, wet & dry.

yellowcab

posted on 14/11/13 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Will be swapping the tyres from the Ford Laser 13s (Yoko A021 Wets) over to the Pro Race 1.2s

Weight of a Caterham CSR 6x13 wheel with Avon CR500 175/55/13 tyre is 10.2kg (40.8kg all four)
This coming from my 16kg per wheel & tyre combo of the 15s, saves me a total of 23.2kg of unsprung weight.
Bring car total down from 542kg to 518.8kg unladen

New rear Sierra caliper spings from RJK350

Fronts fit OK, despite gappy cycle wings (due to be changed anyway)

Rears foul as expected, same problem as with the Pro Race 1.2s, the handbrake hook itself, not the spring this time

Not that I'll be keepng the 175/55/13 tyres, but the rolling radius is 160cm, as opposed to 180cm

[Edited on 14/11/13 by yellowcab]

hkp57

posted on 15/11/13 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
YellowCab

Great post but I would like to hear some feedback on your brakes, from what I see you have standard Sierra rear brakes and master cylinder and Wilwood Powerlites on the front.

How do they perform in stopping power and feel?

Does this get rid of the wooden feel with standard sierra front calipers?

yellowcab

posted on 15/11/13 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes hugely - going from the Sierra fronts, to the Wilwoods was probably one of the biggest physical 'feeling' changes I made to the car.

Despite not having a bias setup, it brakes incredibly flat without any particular wheel looking up prematurely.

yellowcab

posted on 16/11/13 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst in Egypt I was using my GoPro to record my 3year old daughter driving the quads, once finished I put the GoPro in my pocket with the mic still plugged in, no bother I thought... well... it turns out the 3.5mm mic jack socket is only held to the motherboard by 4x teeny tiny blobs of solder, so please please please be careful if anyone uses a GoPro when plugging in, and removing an external mic.

Took my GoPro to bits, and they're manufacturered in a way where the two motherboards cannot be disassembled from each other, therefore I have bridged the points on the motherboard so I have an internal mic back, it means I can no longer use an external mic of any kind - but its better than nothing

I seem to have found some traction, although the tyres in the first pic are too wide for my car & wheels, these are 245/45VR13, lol they're perfectly suited to a 8-9J rim, so slightly too wide for me to catch the bead when fitting them to either sets of my 6 & 7J wheels

Said tyres - to suit 8J - 9J rims if anyone is interested?

Colin - I took your advice and got spares lol the slightly shorter set are 200/50VR13 which are a perfect fit for anything between 6J and 8J wheels

Let the chopping any changing commence, only took me an hour to remove, strip, valve, refit, inflate & balance all 8 wheels, and dispose of 4 tyres, and bring home the 4x bare Laser alloys

These are my two dry rears 6J Caterham CSR wheels with 200/50VR13 Yokohama Advan a005

Wouldn't fit on anything less than 6J

All loaded up for the journey home

These will now be sold on

Wheel & tyre combo weights

Caterham 6J wheels with Avon CR500 175/55/13 tyre - 10.2kg (my dry fronts)
Caterham 6J wheels with Yoko Advan A005 Slick 200/50VR13 tyre - 11.6kg (my dry rears)
Total dry weight: 43.6 kg

Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 with Yokohama A021R 185/60/13 tyre - 12kg (my wet & every day fronts)
Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 with Yokohama A021R 205/60/13 tyre - 13kg (my wet & every day rears)
Total wet weight: 50.0 kg

yellowcab

posted on 17/11/13 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Lasers now sold

Pat_T

posted on 17/11/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Olly,

love all the various wheel/tyre combos!

The road/wet set up looks spot on

Am I reading this right though, for the dry trackday set up you're going to run a 175 Avon CR500 fronts and a Yoko slicks on the rear?

I would have thought this will lead to massive understeer? Isn't there a slick front available in a size that would suit?

www.instagram.com/patroclueus

yellowcab

posted on 17/11/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
LoL, I've since changed my mind on the dry setup.

I'm going for slicks allround now I've found a dirt cheap supplier of CR500s and A048r in Hinckley.

I will now ditch the 175/55s in favour of 185/60, or the same Yoko slicks as I'm using at the rear, although maybe slightly overkill

Hugovdb

posted on 17/11/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Great project! Read all the pages and loved it. Would love to know the differance in tires on track, keep it up!
bobinspain

posted on 18/11/13 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I am simply awestruck by your ingenuity, technical ability and sheer 'nous.'
The thread's a great read and a salutary lesson as to how things should be done and the lengths one needs to go to, to get things 'right.'
You put some 'professional builders' in the shade.
Keep up the good work.

Best regards, Bob.

daveb666

posted on 19/11/13 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Wow massive wheel and tyre day! Good job you have an estate daily-driver huh?

Any outside photos of the car with its new shoes on, or is it blocked it with all your spare sets of tyres?

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

yellowcab

posted on 19/11/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
lol cheers, last night I popped down garage, removed rear calipers as drivers rear was leaking, to find that handbrake mechanism had been locked on the drivers rear clamping the pad to this disc permanently, and the pads hadn't been located on the piston of the caliper correctly so wasn't using the full pad, just the outer edge, I'm now mildly excited at the thought of being able to stop.

Also replaced the bronze steering bush to remove the 8thou of play I had as it was annoying me.

Removed the fuel tank to replace it with a Caterham race fuel bag which didn't fit, so putting my ally tank back in, but not before making a boot box and new boot lid.

Despite not having any rear brakes on, I will stick the rear wheels on got some photos in both guises later :-)

yellowcab

posted on 19/11/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
So remember when I had my car setup by ProComp, and we moved the upper rear wishbone up alongside the shock absorber which left the bottom hole free, like so:

Had some 42mm aluminium spaces made up so I could clamp up the lower hole to maintain the strength & rigidity of the upright

As above, I removed my rear calipers in hope to replace all the seals in them, but they're pretty bad, so decided to cut my losses and buying some new reconned ones from BigReddRacing from eBay, and these will go back to them as a part of the deal and £100 cash back

Here you can see the small amount of disk that was being used because of the pads not being located on the caliper piston correctly

Thought I may have had to replace the disks aswell, but upon removal there was no signs of wear, no hairline cracks and more importantly no lip on the edge and the thickness was still that of new, so I cleaned them up and painted the bells

Lastly - to complete my 'upsprung' weightloss journey, a single wheel nut weighs 61g, a set of four weighs 244kg, which means I have a kilo of rotating mass that I could easily reduce, so on my Xmas list goes a set of lightweight wheels nuts (not to mention they look beaut lol)

yellowcab

posted on 19/11/13 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
And spent a good hour just having a general tidy up - sifting through my 'bits to sell' and taking photos of necessary bits for advertising them

Some general workshop/ garage shots

Awaiting new callipers, new shortened springs, new pads & old disks to go back on so it can go back on the wheels

Dave - it was too dark to get the car out when I finally got down to the shed - so this is the best I could do in order to show the new wheels on the front end of the car, soz!

Rear end still bare

Hiding under the towel are the wider 245 slicks that are for sale, the fuel tank is sat ontop, as they was out to try the Caterham fuel bag which didn't fit

Still need to fit my Healtech Speedohealer, so I can get rid of my velcro sticky pads on my dash which holds my phone to show the speed lol

15" wheels & tyres for sale - to be advertised in a mojo

Will be making a boot box before everything goes back in, so I have somewhere to put things

Sploshed a load of paint on the bells of my rear discs - but I have a feeling I've already told you that lol

[Edited on 19/11/13 by yellowcab]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 19/11/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice mate. Might need some pictures of your rear wishbones so I can make me some rosejointed ones ;-)

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

yellowcab

posted on 19/11/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
From earlier on in my thread....

quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab

Yes, 7 photos of exactly the same thing - because they're that sexy

40inches

posted on 19/11/13 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well Olz, for someone who put his car up for sale, I think you are going about it the wrong way

yellowcab

posted on 19/11/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
haha, kinda had a change of heart, and it's funny y'know - I've just literally saved all your 'boot box' photos, in order to copy it - however, please forgive me for my poor poor fabrication skills compared with your masterpiece that is

However, in my defence (excuses already) I have a rollcage to contend with, which makes it an arse of a job to do - as the floor of the box will need to be 2-piece, as it will not fit as one single piece.

Secondly, I wrongly had my fuel tank made slightly too tall (being greedy on the range per tank), which means the floor of my boot will be stepped, as it will go down about 2 inches when it goes over the diff (and incredibly shallow over the tank)

Thirdly, need I go on? I will anyway, my fuel filler (due to poxy cage again) is way more central to the car than yours - so I dunno what to do about that either

Now, enough excuses out the way - feel free to chip in at any point during me trying to make it lol

40inches

posted on 19/11/13 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Naw! It will turn out fine, the main thing is that it's usable, and I won't criticise your fabrication skills one bit. Not in public anyway

yellowcab

posted on 20/11/13 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
So despite only ordering them yesterday afternoon - we had a delivery at 11am this morning - my new rear Sierra brake calipers courtesy of BigReddRacing on eBay - cannot recommend this company enough... the deal is you send them your old ones and get a staggering £100 cashback (simply because of how rare they are getting)

I removed my old ones with the intentions of replacing all the seals on them, but it just wasn't worth it financially - so opted for reconditioned items instead.

Ordered some new pads too which again I got for a bargain price, some Pagid items down to £15 instead of £90 for the set (not that I believe they were ever for sale at £90 mind lol)

ludobenc

posted on 20/11/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
wonderful thread!

you are a genious!

thanks again

[Edited on 20/11/13 by ludobenc]

yellowcab

posted on 20/11/13 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
As if it would go smoothly, haha, all lovely though working with new parts...

Replaced standard spring for RJK350 ones

Ground down handbrake mechanism hook, to make more clearance

They look nice at least, disks painted, callipers on, shortened springs fitted, handbrake 'hook' ground down a little, handbrake cable clevis ground down a little

But they still foul the stick on slim wheels weights, so in frustration i just ripped the weights off so they fit... but obviously thats not the answer, I forgot to bend the handbrake hook down 5mm, to clear, I'm not even sure bending the hook down will make the spring clear anyway - will it? - doh!

And Dave, just for you although still not quite on the floor lol

[Edited on 20/11/13 by yellowcab]

daveb666

posted on 21/11/13 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, new wheels are a big improvement.

Can't believe you stole the Javelin reserved sign!

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

<<  15    16    17    18    19    20    21  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.