Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First car ??
Ninehigh

posted on 29/1/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
True you might as well get yourself a small runabout (fronting, pah, what copper thought I was driving a high-spec 405 at 17 on my own policy?) and have them as named drivers. Make sure they earn their own no-claims too. Stepson's going to be going through this in about a year and I'm thinking it might be as well sticking him on the Mondeo rather than the 106 (which is costing us more to insure for some reason)

Maybe this reasoning is that their first shed is going to get dinged, however mum and dad's pride and joy is going to be looked after for fear of the a**e kicking of his life (I know I did!)

stevegough

posted on 29/1/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
Things have not changed that much. My first car was a 1200 Ford Anglia. Cost £100 to buy and £100 to insure.

I was about to say that! - but mine was a 105E (1050) engine - I used to hanker after the super 1200s! Car cost £140 and I think insurance was £40 !

However, I don't think this is helping the thread - poster, is it?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

britishtrident

posted on 29/1/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
quote:
Things have not changed that much. My first car was a 1200 Ford Anglia. Cost £100 to buy and £100 to insure.

I was about to say that! - but mine was a 105E (1050) engine - I used to hanker after the super 1200s! Car cost £140 and I think insurance was £40 !

The 1200 123e Anglia should have been cheaper to insure they used to spend more time in the garage getting new big end bearings than the 997cc 105e version.

Early Ford Kent engines were crap until they got the 5 bearing crank,

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

stevegough

posted on 29/1/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
quote:

The 1200 123e Anglia should have been cheaper to insure they used to spend more time in the garage getting new big end bearings than the 997cc 105e version.

Early Ford Kent engines were crap until they got the 5 bearing crank,

Funnily enough, that's what happened to mine - but I had thrashed it!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/1/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Back to the classic insurance.
Yes, it is possible at 17.
Heard of quotes under £800 on mini's, and eldest daughter is planning on my Triumph Toledo in just over a year. Stick it in her name, and that way my NCD won't be affected if she prangs it. If considering this route, best to avoid convertibles
Mini's make a lot of sense, as although not cheap to buy, will always hold value (unless dinged)

Ninehigh

posted on 29/1/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Back to the classic insurance.
Yes, it is possible at 17.
Heard of quotes under £800 on mini's, and eldest daughter is planning on my Triumph Toledo in just over a year. Stick it in her name, and that way my NCD won't be affected if she prangs it. If considering this route, best to avoid convertibles
Mini's make a lot of sense, as although not cheap to buy, will always hold value (unless dinged)

Wonder if I could get one mainly for this purpose?

morcus

posted on 30/1/11 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
It doesn't bother me (As I have no kids) but aren't minis really bad in crashes? As I say I've got no kids and when I do they won't be getting cars out of me but I imagine alot of parents would be put of by something like that.

Anyone looked into putting their kids on their kit insurance? Some guy selling a GTM told my brother it would be cheaper to insure than a normal car even at 17.

Something else to bear in mind. Sometimes low estimated milage puts the price up, thats why I'm insured for 6K when I only do 4K (when getting my quotes 6K was the lowest).

Just a slight sidetrack (I don't think it really warrants it's own tread) what qualities are ideal in a first car for a 17 y/o?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/1/11 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Of course a multi-airbagged chelsea tractor would be safer, in fact so would a new 5* NCAP motor, but mini's and the like were what we grew up on, and in something like a mini you get a healty respect for speed and other road users. Modern cars insulate the driver, and so speeds tend to be higher and more risks taken (possibly)
Besides, in reality the vast majority crunches are dings, dents and so on. Maybe the odd hedge, but I do that when rallying
People are getting scared and believing the hype pushed by manufacturors that old cars are deathtraps, which is not the case. Not what I was expecting on this forum TBH.
And yes I am protective of my kids, but I hopefully understand the risks. And more importantly, I hope they do, which is where most of the problems occur. By the time she is 17 my eldest will have competed in a few autotests and maybe autosolo's, getting her on a track may be a little more difficult, but that of road experience should give her a bit of nouse when it come sto car control, reckon that is better than an airbag

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/1/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

Just a slight sidetrack (I don't think it really warrants it's own tread) what qualities are ideal in a first car for a 17 y/o?

Cheap insurance! That means definatly no modifications (wheels/paint/spoilers etc)
PLUS something that you won't lose sleep over if/when it gets little dings. For me that means a cheapish car, other more affluent peeps it may mean a new range rover sport...

Thinking about it, I wonder if a two seater (smart car , any others?) may be a good idea as it means the teenager can't load it up with a load of mates and get all over-excited?

[Edited on 30/1/11 by cliftyhanger]

morcus

posted on 30/1/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a feeling that most two seaters are going to be costly insurance wise. I may be wrong but I think Smart cars were more to insure than superminis and most other small two seaters cars were really expesive because they were low volume cars (Like Axiams, they're rediculus for insurance). On 2 seaters If you want a laugh have a look at an insurance quote for an original Honda Insight. It's because of the batteries but it still gets me.

I was actually thinking beyond financial reasons which off course makes everything academic (Hence why it doesn't need it's own thread).

I don't think this has been asked, but what is the car going to be used for?

karlak

posted on 30/1/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I was actually thinking beyond financial reasons which off course makes everything academic (Hence why it doesn't need it's own thread).

I don't think this has been asked, but what is the car going to be used for?

We live in a village with awful public transport, so it will be a means of getting around, probably used for the Sixth Form "commute", save the "piss take" they charge for school bus transport per term. I think like most 17 year olds these days, the first cars are used as much as anything to gain experience.

I was speaking to someone a while ago who heard of an insurance company specifically for lads, that has a 11pm curfew, made quite a difference to the cost apparantly. Would suit me (not sure about him ), as if he's going up town I would rather give him £20 for a taxi back, than the risks of driving back in the early hours possibly loaded up with mates who are happy on beer.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Davey D

posted on 30/1/11 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I would definately recommend the K11 micra. Loads of them about for spares, cheap enough to buy, and reliable engines. A lot of them have been owned by old grannies too, so havent been thrashed about.
trextr7monkey

posted on 30/1/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
quote:

I was speaking to someone a while ago who heard of an insurance company specifically for lads, that has a 11pm curfew, made quite a difference to the cost apparantly. Would suit me (not sure about him ), as if he's going up town I would rather give him £20 for a taxi back, than the risks of driving back in the early hours possibly loaded up with mates who are happy on beer.

We looked intothe i box scheme or whatever it is called and for not using the car ever between 11pm and 5 am ( £100 surcharge each trip!!) and restricting mileage it only reduced quote by about £30 compared to Adn miral etc quotes. There might be some better schemes that have started more recently but it appeared to be a bit of a marketing con.

Re kit cars the Quantum owners club do a pooled scheme which does bring insurance down to reasonable lvels and we seriously looked at obtaining a Quantum 2 +2 but felt it wa s a bit flash to leave around town, theyalso doan H4 with zetec power but the back end is plain fugly
hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

morcus

posted on 31/1/11 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
For the record I'd like it noted that I appear to have been quoted as saying something I didn't. Though the curfew thing seems like a good idea.

Ninehigh

posted on 31/1/11 at 04:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
On 2 seaters If you want a laugh have a look at an insurance quote for an original Honda Insight. It's because of the batteries but it still gets me.

Just looked, tis about the same as our mondeo... Which I guess is a bit high considering it's a 1l 2 seater greenmobile compared to a 2l td repmobile

karlak

posted on 31/1/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add what I have found from my inital post..

It seems that two companies come out as best quotes,

quindirect insurance and Adrian Flux.

Collingwood only insure them while provisional and then cancel the policy when they pass and refund the remainder. Trouble here is that if they have been on prov for 6months, then that is not used as part of their first years NC bonus.

Bloody nightmare though, there must be a better way of insuring young lads and evaluating their "real" risk. I think they are all assumed to be like the tits that you see racing away from coppers on these police,camera,chavs programs

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Kwik

posted on 1/2/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
classic mini:

decent one for around £1000, will teach him about restoration and car maintanance.

insurance for me (18 year old in london) £640 on a classic car policy, will beat any corsa or fiest for looks, and im 6ft so no height issues

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 1/2/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Citroen C2

New enough to be reliable and safe (4star ncap)
Old enough to be cheaper, and parts available.
Funky enough to be cool, common enough to be undesirable to scum (ie thiefs and police!)
Get a 1.1 if you want group 3 insurance. 1.4s are Grp 6

Wife had a 1.4 Furio (VTR/S look alike) to replace her first car (Saxo). Lots of gadgets for money and drove nicely. Was good step up to her first Hot hatch (Fiesta ST)

Nowadays I wouldnt stick a child of mine in a 10Yr old + car just for the safety factor.
Old minis, fiestas, novas/ corsa may be easy to repair/maintain, but arent exactly full of airbags and ABS.

[Edited on 1/2/11 by loggyboy]

trextr7monkey

posted on 1/2/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
For the record I'd like it noted that I appear to have been quoted as saying something I didn't. Though the curfew thing seems like a good idea.

Don't know why it did that ? I just used the quote button as usual and Karlaks words came directly from you!
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

morcus

posted on 1/2/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's cool I didn't think you were up to anything, was just pointing it out because it's weird.

After the last two winters I wouldn't want to be without ABS. I had at least one incident this year which I'm certain would have been a crash without it (Someone stopped at a roundabout then pulled out infront of me onto the roundabout, then paniced and started spinning the wheels).

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.