Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A New Project, GT6 aluminium body
ceebmoj

posted on 16/11/14 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
looks great, how are you going to finish the lip of the wheel arch?
mark chandler

posted on 16/11/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic work John, when finished you will have a lovely car to enjoy.
John Bonnett

posted on 16/11/14 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
looks great, how are you going to finish the lip of the wheel arch?

The edge lips under and is bonded and countersunk riveted to the inner wheel arch. I've cut a piece of plywood that I shall use to clamp the aluminium tightly against the inner wing and then it can be tapped over with a nice tight bend. I did the same on the other side and it worked out well. Hopefully some pictures tomorrow.

Thank you Mark, yes I hope so. I'm hoping to do three events in France next year and also get up to Donnington for the TriumphFest so there's no time to lose.

John Bonnett

posted on 17/11/14 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I had to work hard today but the wing is pretty much there now with just a bit of tidying needed. The picture show the B post return in place over the top of the wing ready to scribe and cut and trim. The second the wing tacked to the return. The third fully TIG welded and the final one the return starting to be tapped over against the inner wing.

snakebelly

posted on 17/11/14 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, this thread is becoming legendry
ceebmoj

posted on 17/11/14 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
looks great.
rdodger

posted on 17/11/14 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Legend........................... wait for it......... ary!

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/11/14 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
it always seems a shame to paint cars built like this, I'd just polish it up like chrome
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 18/11/14 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, to be honest it ain't that great but you know the right things to say

It will be painted I'm afraid because the car is going to be used and nothing corrodes aluminium better than a salt/water solution.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/11/14 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm assuming and sorry if this has been already covered before in conversation, but is there a barrier between the steel and aluminium panelling? I notice that some of the recent pictures seem to show the aluminium being on top of what appears to be bare steel.

It's just I've just spent the last few months and heaps of cash replacing corroded aluminium panels on a landrover where they had been contacting the steel work or bolts or washers...it's a nightmare

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 18/11/14 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
John

You started off with gas welding, now it's TIG what changed and why?

I once tried gas on thin ali sheet, trying to repair a rangerover tail gate, everything fell apart in molten blobs

mcerd1

posted on 18/11/14 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
VVVV
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Can I ask about the welding? Is it all gas welded? If so why is it gas rather than tig? Sorry if you have already told us earlier in the thread.

I've gas welded most of the panels because the weld bead is very malleable and the heat affected zone is annealed. This makes the planishing and further working of the panel easier than if they had been TIG welded. The long weld across the rear of the body below the tailgate aperture is TIG welded because it would have been difficult to wash the flux off if it had been gas welded. I shall also TIG weld the B Post return onto the wing because this will lead to minimal distortion and no further forming will be needed. I'll just need to sand the weld bead flush. That's the plan anyway. I hope to report some good news tomorrow night!

[Edited on 18/11/2014 by mcerd1]

-

mark chandler

posted on 18/11/14 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, already answered then it's a a long post now.

Thanks

John Bonnett

posted on 27/11/14 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
With the body panels all made and fitted I've been turning my attention to fitting the bonnet and making a a tubular steel frame for the air intake aperture and around which the aluminium will be dressed.

I'm making a simple plywood buck to hold the bonnet in place and the transverse stages will be notched to locate the tubes for the bonnet supporting frame. Here are a few pictures.

rdodger

posted on 27/11/14 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
No pressure John!

You can always have another bonnet made

John Bonnett

posted on 27/11/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
No pressure John!

You can always have another bonnet made

John Bonnett

posted on 27/11/14 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of time today spent looking and adjusting so not much to show. However I have made a longitudinal sweep and from that cut the centre station for the buck. Just a couple of pictures I'm afraid.

John Bonnett

posted on 7/12/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a while since I posted any progress but I've been beavering away. Not a huge amount of perceived progress but I've spent a lot of time measuring and fitting in an effort to get the bonnet sitting in the best position with respect to the body and the general appearance.

The buck is now finished and this provides some reliable datum points as well as a firm base to support the two bonnet halves.

Right from the outset, it did look as if there was too much shape in the bonnet where it meets the door so I took the bull by the horns and cut a Vee stretching from the door end a foot towards the front. I then tapped the aluminium down onto the buck which closed the gap and then welded it up. Phew! Glad that's done. The transition is definitely much closer now so it was the right thing to do.

ceebmoj

posted on 7/12/14 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Great progress. Will the steel opening form be left in why'd bonnet? Or will it come out once the shape is there.
John Bonnett

posted on 7/12/14 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
Great progress. Will the steel opening form be left in why'd bonnet? Or will it come out once the shape is there.

A good question. The steel hoop is actually a fundamental piece of the bonnet supporting frame. There will be two longitudinal legs coming off the lower part of the hoop going back to the hinges and two longitudinals inboard of the headlights going back from the top of the hoop to a transverse tube near the scuttle. The aluminium will be dressed around the the hoop which will secure the bonnet to the frame in that area.

The buck itself was quite fiddly and time consuming to make but well worth the effort as all I have to do is to notch out the transverse stations to lay the tubes in and they should be located perfectly. Fingers crossed on that!

I'm going to make a start on the hinges tomorrow. I've been given some really nice oilite bronze bushes which are absolutely ideal. They have an 8mm bore and the shank fits nicely inside the 5/8" tubing that I'm using. Deep joy

John Bonnett

posted on 9/12/14 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've now made the hinges for the bonnet which are a very simple affair but hopefully will be up to the job. The bonnet itself is light and the inner wings will be fixed to the chassis rather than an integral part of the bonnet. So the hinges will never have a huge load to cope with. The aluminium sweep represents the bonnet and shows that the opening will be sufficient to access the the engine bay.

stevebubs

posted on 9/12/14 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Holy cow .. not really looked at this site properly in a while and I see this... coming on really well, John...
John Bonnett

posted on 10/12/14 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Holy cow .. not really looked at this site properly in a while and I see this... coming on really well, John...

It's coming on nicely Steve and early in the New Year, I've got the added bonus of Trev D's colleague Martin who made the bonnet coming down to my workshop to make sure it fits properly; all very exciting.

nick205

posted on 10/12/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Just a real pleasure to watch John

John Bonnett

posted on 11/12/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Just a real pleasure to watch John

That's really kind of you Nick, thank you.

Trev |D's mate Martin reckoned with the hinges where I've put them the bonnet doesn't open wide enough and of course, he is right. The sweep looks as if the open position is more than adequate to give good access to the engine bay but I'd not allowed for the restriction of the wings. So, today I've moved the hinges three inches towards the front and I think that has done the trick. I'd only tacked the clevises so it was no great problem to get them off.

I've also started bending the tube for the bonnet supporting frame so we are still progressing albeit slowly.

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.