Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: strange clutch question
jamie1107

posted on 8/11/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
strange clutch question

ok im building a cvh turbo 7 with a type 9 the problem i have is this
im using megasquirt and an efi cvh block which has the trigger on the back of the fly wheel hence i cant change it for the easier option of the 1.8 cvh sierra flywheel i also intend to put quite a bit of power through this clutch so im guessing the sierra clutch wouldnt be man enough anyway
so i intend to run a 220mm rsturbo clutch but you guessed it the splines are wrong in number and diameter
so my thinking was this if i have a 220mm rs turbo cover plate with a slightly smaller 200mm clutch in it would that work im thinking i would just get a ring of 10mm around the edge which isnt used or do i just junk that run a sierra set up and go for the less accurate trigger off the front pully
cheers guys

rusty nuts

posted on 8/11/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.8 CVH Sierras have the toothed wheel on the crank pulley and would be a source of ready made sensor and mounting. As for being less accurate???
Chippy

posted on 8/11/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Dont know if it will fit, but you could try a diesel clutch, they are designed to take far more torque, worth a try. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

ss1turbo

posted on 10/11/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
The Sierra clutch is 215mm - close enough? Splines will be right for the type 9 as well..

The Sierra front pulley is no less accurate - as long as you use the bottom cover to mount it as well. It's ally, so can be polished

Long live RWD...

jamie1107

posted on 11/11/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking i would have to make up a bottom pully with a 36-1 trigger wheel you see hence my concerns about acuracy but correct me if im wrong here i have two options

use a sierra sfi engine flywheel which has the trigger in the back of the flywheel

or use a sierra 1.8 bottom pully which has a trigger wheel built in ? with its bottom cover only thing is and this might sound stupid but does it fit the 1.6 efi turbo fiesta block ?
cheers guys

owelly

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used a plate from a derv Focus. It was 118mm and the correct splines. Some Galaxy dervs use the same clutch. I'll find a linky to National Clutches as they reconned one for me to make sure the overall dia was what I needed.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fill your boots!!
http://www.national-auto.co.uk/cata.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jamie1107

posted on 12/11/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
ah ha the galaxy has the 118mm with a spline of od 26 with 23 splines so theres .6 of a mm in it so with any luck if its nice and central thats .3 either side which should be ok
i couldnt find a focus one like that but my qh catalogue is a bit old
good luck with the next 999 challenge im asuming thats urs with the alfa lump in
maybe a couple of turbo s might help lol

owelly

posted on 12/11/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, but more power is the last thing I need!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.