Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine angle with dry sump
francy555

posted on 20/12/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Engine angle with dry sump

Hi guys,

I'm currently having issues fitting the hayabusa engine to the RHL, (no suprise there).

I was wondering if the engine is dry sumped does the engine still have to be mounted at the same angle as it would be in the bike or can the engine be tilted so that the engine is running more or less as vertical as possible?

I'm having bother getting the propshaft and sprocket adaptor to run straight, when the engine is in position with a wet sump so I was thinking fitting a dry sump would allow me to tilt the engine towards the vertical bring the propshaft into line with the diff.

Your thoughts?

Francy

iiyama

posted on 20/12/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Theres no need for the prop to run straight and I was under the impression that its probably better for it to have an offset.

Regarding the sump, it would be better imo to have the sump flat. This in turn will mean that the cylinders are off vertical.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

BenB

posted on 20/12/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
It surely depends on how the dry sump is designed. Most dry sumps are designed so that the oil drains towards the pick-up points, if the engine was too angled this might not happen....
stevebubs

posted on 20/12/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
common consensus is parallel flange faces but offset a bit so there is a slight angle in the UJ
francy555

posted on 20/12/08 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
How much of an angle do you reckon would work?
Alez

posted on 26/12/08 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
I think you can have a big angle. I've seen the way that MK Sportscars build LHD R1 Indys and, compared to a RHD, their engine is offset to the right towards the centre of the car quite a lot, resulting in a lot of angle on the UJ (can't tell how much but you may be able to find pictures of the arrangement, I don't have any), together with a long exhaust mainfold. This results in significant power loss on the transmission, though. These LHD MK R1 Indys are currently being used for a private championship here in Spain at the moment. Sorry I can't be more specific

Cheers,

Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.