Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Indy R - Differential Mounting
tommyab

posted on 15/3/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Indy R - Differential Mounting

Hi,

I tried to mount the diff to the Indy R chassis yesterday (after cleaning/painting) and got stuck on the lower mounts.

Im using threaded bar to mount it - top one goes through fine, but on the bottom the chassis members are in the way.

I also tried bolts at the bottom, but there's not enough space on the diff to get the bolt head/or nut in.

How have you done yours? Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

PAUL FISHER

posted on 15/3/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
When mounting the Indy R diff,you need to use cap head bolts,these are pushed through from the inside out,so that the nut can be tightend on the outside of the diff carrier,and a allen key can be used to hold the cap head bolt.
mads

posted on 15/3/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Paul, do you not use the long diff bolts provided by MK? I had some with my kit... =o/

[Edited on 15/3/09 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

A1

posted on 15/3/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
arent they for the lower of rear hub carrier? theyre the same as the original diff bolts.
tommyab

posted on 15/3/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks, Paul. I will order some of these. Cant seem to find any big enough other than online.

Thanks for the help.

tom

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 15/3/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Got mine from a local fixing's shop, £3 for both. I could only find large quantities online.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 15/3/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
Paul, do you not use the long diff bolts provided by MK? I had some with my kit... =o/

[Edited on 15/3/09 by mads]

As "A1" above has said,the long bolts provided by MK are for the rear uprights,they just happen to be the same size as the standard Indy diff mount bolts,you have to supply your own bolts to mount the diff,on both the Indy and Indy R,any local nut and bolt company should be able to supply these,and the cap heads.

procomp

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

If it's not a daft question ?. Why when MK are building cars themselves. why do they not supply the special bolts that are required in the kit as standard. I mean they must have them in stock as they are using them.
Surely this would save the customer having to go faffing around trying to sort them out.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jubal

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

If it's not a daft question ?. Why when MK are building cars themselves. why do they not supply the special bolts that are required in the kit as standard. I mean they must have them in stock as they are using them.
Surely this would save the customer having to go faffing around trying to sort them out.

Cheers Matt

I'm actually in the market for a kit soon and issues like this interest me. However, in comparison with other kits are MK any worse than others at not supplying every last little bit?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/3/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Cheers Matt

These bolts are not "special bolts" Matt, they are a couple of cap head bolts,that can be easily sourced from any local nut and bolt supplier,as you well know,what any locost kit manufacturer must ask itself is where do you draw the line,at what you do and don't supply in the kit in order to keep the kit at a competitive price,also some builders would already have one of the long diff mounting bolts from there donor vehilcle,so they would not want to pay for a new bolt they do not require.I think if you look what you get in the Indy kit,in comparison with its competition,it represents superb value for money.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.