Author: Subject: Priceless
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/7/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Priceless

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8136193.stm

Passenger fixes faulty airliner
Boeing 757-200
The airliner landed at Glasgow only 35 minutes late

Holidaymakers avoided a long delay to their flight home when a passenger fixed a mechanical problem with their plane.

Passengers on Thomas Cook flight TCX9641 from Menorca were told to expect an eight-hour wait while an engineer was flown out from the UK.

One passenger then identified himself as a qualified aircraft engineer and offered to try to remedy the fault.

He was successful, and the plane landed in Glasgow only 35 minutes late.

A spokeswoman for Thomas Cook said the company followed strict procedures to ensure the man was qualified to work on the aircraft, a Boeing 757-200, during the incident on Saturday.

The passenger worked for another airline, Thomsonfly, which has a reciprocal maintenance agreement with Thomas Cook.

It was reassuring to know the person who had fixed it was still on the aeroplane
Keith Lomax

"When they announced there was a technical problem he came forward and said who he was, " she said.

"We checked his licence and verified he was who he said he was, and he was able to fix the problem to avoid the delay.

"We are very grateful that he was on the flight that day."

Holidaymaker Keith Lomax, from Stirling, was travelling home from a week's break with his wife when the plane's captain announced the expected delay.

"We were in the plane, ready for take-off, when he announced there was a technical problem and that an engineer might have to be flown out from Manchester to fix it," he said.

"Then a stewardess told us there was an engineer on board and they were checking out to see if he could work on it. He was obviously successful. When he came back onto the plane there was a round of applause from the back of the aircraft.

"It was reassuring to know the person who had fixed it was still on the aeroplane. What are the odds of something like that happening?"

Jon Ison

posted on 6/7/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Could have done with him 2 years back, genuine not made up or expanded 36 hour delay...........

eccsmk

posted on 6/7/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
im sorry but i'd be running as far away as possible
flying scares the life out of me at the best of times

blakep82

posted on 6/7/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eccsmk

yeah, but what they're saying is quite right. they checked his license and he was all qualified, AND he was going to fly home on that plane too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

davie h

posted on 7/7/09 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
a few years ago me and the wife were going to gran canaria and the plane boarded about 20 mins later we were told there was a problem with the plane and would be delayed until they could get the plane fixed so off we got, about 3 hours later a small airplane landed and taxied up to our plane annd a guy got out did some work on the front landing gear, gumped back into the small plane and left. this was in full view of all the passengers. you could smell the fear in the air everyone back on and away we went with no problems

Davie

[Edited on 7/7/09 by davie h]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24179682@N04/?saved=1

02GF74

posted on 7/7/09 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eccsmk

are you sure it is the flying and not the crashing ?

woodster

posted on 7/7/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
flying would be a lot safer if the ground was a lot softer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.