Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cost of motorsport sponsorship.
pif

posted on 26/8/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
cost of motorsport sponsorship.

Right, don't all rush at once. This is just speculative and may come to nothing......but if i did want to splash out on building some awareness of a brand through motor sport sponsorship what would i be looking at cost wise.

Not F1 stuff, i mean locost type things. All uk based too. The type of things i see folk doing on here, and if it comes to fruition then you guys may well be a good port of call.
If you are into this kind of thing please try and mention what i could expect for my money as I have to present this to the company owners next week, the more detail the better.

thanks in advance

pif

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

MK9R

posted on 26/8/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
you have u2u

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 26/8/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'd put it this way- if a car doesn't currently have sponsering all over it, it's owner probably wouldn't need much £££ to put on the stickers....

Then again, kind of depends what it's advertising.

Richard Quinn

posted on 26/8/09 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Never mind the costs, focus on the benefits!
Most people are grateful for whatever they get e.g. a bit of stickerage for a set of tyres etc.
Your employer might have to justify to the tax man that it is a legimate business expense but if it is then there should be no reason why this shouldn't decrease the corporation tax liability at the end of the year.

Nash

posted on 26/8/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience we would whore ourselves for very little however there is a rule of thumb and it depends on who is seeing it.

For example if the race series is televised then the value obviously goes up. You are then into positioning. A good position on the car that is picked up on camera every time the car is in shot is worth a lot more then a position that is only picked up say from behind.

Its not rocket science and ultimately it is all negotiable.

There are other tangable benefits for the sponsor, sponsorship is tax deductable, you can use it away from the track to promote your business. You can use it in multiple campaigns over long periods of time. You can woe clients with track days and corporate hostpiality even if its a relatively low key event.

The support series to bigger series are normally good value.

THere are lots more but it is somethig you can milk if you get it right but can be a bind if you get it wrong. You need to know what it is you are branding and how you are going to use it.

....Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

loggyboy

posted on 26/8/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
The key thing to remember with sponsorship is not really the awareness it can generate (as unless you are the main sponsor in a high level series, you get very little coverage), its more the client and employee entertainment you can get. Taking a perspective client (if your business has/needs them) is a very good way to get them to relax and put them in your captive audience.
RK

posted on 26/8/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
What giving a few bucks to a very few people (not including what I gave myself, which was hugely more...) for bike racing, was paid back just in relationships. For example, when I needed certain parts down the road, I was put onto them for good prices etc. When you race anything, you need the contacts because you are always needing parts in a hurry.

The amount I gave myself was just for tax reasons for my business.

Jubal

posted on 26/8/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
The key thing to remember with sponsorship is not really the awareness it can generate (as unless you are the main sponsor in a high level series, you get very little coverage), its more the client and employee entertainment you can get. Taking a perspective client (if your business has/needs them) is a very good way to get them to relax and put them in your captive audience.

This is what it's all about. Companies I've been involved with have in the past sponsored Darren Turner and Oli Wilkinson. Costs were on the several £k p.a. region but the return, for example when Oli coached our customers at Bedford for the day, was excellent.

RK

posted on 27/8/09 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
And for those in line to receive sponsorship, it is actually a responsibility that you have to work for. You can't just show up and race every now and then, you have to show up for sponsor events and generally be jovial to everyone. I found it a bit of work in the end.
procomp

posted on 27/8/09 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just to throw a few numbers in. The cost of being the sole sponsor of a championship within the 750Mc ranges from 3.5K - 4K. Locost is currently without a sponsor. Although i suspect you will be aiming higher up the tree where there is TV coverage if it is a substantial sponsorship package your looking at.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 27/8/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Just to throw a few numbers in. The cost of being the sole sponsor of a championship within the 750Mc ranges from 3.5K - 4K. Locost is currently without a sponsor. Although i suspect you will be aiming higher up the tree where there is TV coverage if it is a substantial sponsorship package your looking at.

Cheers Matt

Sorry Matt, but I'm a bit sleep deprived and confused at the moment.

Are you saying £3.5k - 4k per year to be sole sponsor of a single car, or a series within the Championship? eg RGB?

So what would you get for that level of investment? I've had a look on the 750mc website and can't see any sponsorship of individual series mentioned at all?

I can see in the technical regs that the Championship Sponsors Decals must be applied to the cars. So for £4k you get decals on every car within your Championship?

Cheers

Mike

pif

posted on 27/8/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the responses so far. The corporate side is not something I had considered, is there much of that at a 750mc meet??

The initial objective for the brand owners was to generate awareness of this new brand ( which is automotive market targeted) with potential users / customers. that being drivers and crowds. The reason for going to motor sport was as they are new to the uk and relatively small they are looking to get a foothold as a niche product.

Without speaking to to them until next week the early talk was to support individual cars / karts in series and to then possible use images of these in corporate material or at shows. I.e on a show stand at a trade show have a vehicle or 2 for crowd attraction purposes on the stand. Trophy's would be even better......

Is this something people would be prepared to do.

I like the idea of driver / car combos at trackdays too.

the colours for this product are quite strong and unique, would it be better to get these "skin" type jobbies applied to cars or painted. How much do the skins cost?

any karters got any cost ideas.

Pif

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

procomp

posted on 27/8/09 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

That's a Championship not a car. That's Minimum costs. You can up that with extras etc such as having garlands for 1st 2nd 3rd at every race with bigger trophies. I dare say that BARC and other clubs would be charging an awful lot more for championship packages.

Cheers Matt

MK9R

posted on 27/8/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pif
thanks for the responses so far. The corporate side is not something I had considered, is there much of that at a 750mc meet??

The initial objective for the brand owners was to generate awareness of this new brand ( which is automotive market targeted) with potential users / customers. that being drivers and crowds. The reason for going to motor sport was as they are new to the uk and relatively small they are looking to get a foothold as a niche product.

Without speaking to to them until next week the early talk was to support individual cars / karts in series and to then possible use images of these in corporate material or at shows. I.e on a show stand at a trade show have a vehicle or 2 for crowd attraction purposes on the stand. Trophy's would be even better......

Is this something people would be prepared to do.

I like the idea of driver / car combos at trackdays too.

the colours for this product are quite strong and unique, would it be better to get these "skin" type jobbies applied to cars or painted. How much do the skins cost?

any karters got any cost ideas.

Pif

Pif, i've sent you another message regards the livered up car.

Regards 750 club, come along to one of the meets and have a look at what goes on. Shame you just missed Silverstone as thats the biggest of the year with every formula racing during the weekend.

[Edited on 27/8/09 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.