Oulton Park
Snetterton

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Beginners track suggestions
thefreak

posted on 31/3/10 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Beginners track suggestions

As you guys seem to like playing on the black stuff a lot I thought I'd ask for your input.
I booked the missus on a caterham experience day at Brands for Christmas. Brands are messing around with dates, as they're moaning about having Caterhams there for a full day taking over the track.
The company I booked it through have offered a few other circuits as alternatives.
She hasn't been on track before, and never driven a 7, but is a bit of a petrol head and is currently helping me build one.

So what I'm after is what track would be nice and easy in your view for her to pick up quickly and enjoy the day instead of spending most of it trying to remember the layout.

The options are:
Brands - hold out till dates become available
Silverstone - Not sure which circuit
Cadwell
Oulton Park
Snetterton

I've done Brands Indy, Silverstone Indy and GP and Oulton. I thought Brands Indy was the quickest to get the hang of, but that's just me. What do you lot think?

TimC

posted on 31/3/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Snetterton is easy enough. I'd definately leave out Cadwell and Oulton (awesome awesome awesome!!!), the shorter Silverstone layouts are a doddle and Brands is ok too.

Madinventions

posted on 31/3/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
There's a track 'evening' coming up at Snetterton on May 20th, and it's limited to a maximum of 40 7-esque cars. Could be a good first trial run?

Link

It's being organised by Grant Taylor of OBNS motorsport and a list of who is confirmed can be found here

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Johneturbo

posted on 31/3/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Depends with Silverstone as it might be the stowe circuit which isn't part of the main track
just some car park with cones!

i'd wait for brands indy as like you say its easy to learn, and you can't beat the feeling of paddock

thefreak

posted on 31/3/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madinventions
There's a track 'evening' coming up at Snetterton on May 20th, and it's limited to a maximum of 40 7-esque cars. Could be a good first trial run?

Link

It's being organised by Grant Taylor of OBNS motorsport and a list of who is confirmed can be found here

Ed.

My car isn't on the road yet, which is why I bought her this for xmas, so the day is already paid for, just got to decide on where/when

thefreak

posted on 31/3/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Snetterton is easy enough. I'd definately leave out Cadwell and Oulton (awesome awesome awesome!!!), the shorter Silverstone layouts are a doddle and Brands is ok too.

Yeah, that was my inital thoughts, but not done Snetterton or Cadwell. I know Snetterton is quite an easy circuit compared, but really wanted Brands.

speedyxjs

posted on 31/3/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Id say snetterton is probably the easiest. Brands has a pretty basic layout too but is much hillier.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

adithorp

posted on 31/3/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cadwell and Oulton are great circuits but probably not best for a novice.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

turbodisplay

posted on 31/3/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
snetterton has loads of run off, perfect for a newbie. Also is not too hard to remember the track.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
edspurrier

posted on 31/3/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Consider Bedford - lots of run off and designed for novice training

Silverstone Stowe is a great little circuit, now it's been extended to 1.8 milesand some very tricky corners. No more a car park with cones.

dlatch

posted on 31/3/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
snetterton has loads of run off, perfect for a newbie. Also is not too hard to remember the track.

Darren

+1 perfect beginner circuit and also just as fun for the more experienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 31/3/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edspurrier
Consider Bedford - lots of run off and designed for novice training

+1

I have heard very good reports about Bedford Autodrome.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

bi22le

posted on 31/3/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Seems you dont mind a drive to get there!
I live on Brands door step and think its a great track with everything you need.

If you want a cheap, short track that has its technical corners try Lydden Hill. Its about £120 for a whole day open pit and very relaxed on rules so she cant get too confused with which side to overtake and when.
That is a drive for you though as its near Canterbury, kent!

It is the home of Rally cross though!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Hellfire

posted on 31/3/10 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think you're looking at it the wrong way...... Personally, I'd go to Cadwell. It is technically difficult to get the right line on every corner, every lap but you're going there for fun and not to compete aren't you? Can't think of a better place than Cadwell to have fun. It's like a roller coaster ride for cars........

Phil

[Edited on 31-3-10 by Hellfire]

TigerB6 Paul

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest would be Silverstone Stowe circuit. Personally i'd go to Cadwell though as imho its the best circuit in the country to drive.
GMPMotorsport

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay

Darren

By far the easiest one to learn and with a good bit of run off shouldn't get it to any bother IMHO.

+1 perfect beginner circuit and also just as fun for the more experienced.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

will121

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
is it going to be a beginners organised track day, or part of a bigger open pitlane day? if purely beginners day then would say any of those tracks would be ok as its more controlled and organised to not feel pressured into driving around others faster and able to go more the pace you are comfortable to lurn at.
i went today to trackday at silverstone national circuit (passenger only though) and not a patch on Cadwell but did have a mini bus trip around the new GP circuit under construction and the new facilities and pits all ment to cost ober £50million!! looks like its going to be good when finished

Heather

posted on 1/4/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi fellow Belperite

I haven't been out on track yet, it is our intention for me to take the Wolfe out to play on a novice track day in the 8 week gap between the RGB races April to June. I have spent hours trackside watching and although it may be a more difficult track my preference is for Oulton Park followed by Snetterton.

thefreak

posted on 1/4/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heather
Hi fellow Belperite

I haven't been out on track yet, it is our intention for me to take the Wolfe out to play on a novice track day in the 8 week gap between the RGB races April to June. I have spent hours trackside watching and although it may be a more difficult track my preference is for Oulton Park followed by Snetterton.

You local then? I do like Oulton, but remember it is quite slippy up the top under the trees. I remember watching a friend racing in an R1 Cup race nearly highsiding it there, think he went on to win the race too lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.