Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Phoenix (and also Fury)
Alez

posted on 10/12/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Phoenix (and also Fury)

Is the Sylva/ST Phoenix with any manufacturer at present? I can't find a website for Rainbird Racing who I think were last to have it.

I was wondering why the Fury (which Sylva developed afterwards) is significantly more popular as the two seem extremely similar to me.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm planning to buy one at some point.

blakep82

posted on 10/12/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
bgh geartech have the fury, and also a link on their page for raw engineering, who seem to say they've just taken over the phoenix?

http://bghgeartech.co.uk/html/bgh_kitcars.html
http://www.striker-cars.co.uk/phoenix/

unless the info's out of date lol

[Edited on 10/12/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

clairetoo

posted on 10/12/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think the main reason the Fury is more popular is that it
comes with doors and a screen , whereas the Phoenix has
neither....

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

jeffw

posted on 10/12/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Which is a good thing

They are similar but also different. The Phoenix is effectively a full bodied Striker (which is the approach Raw will take I'm sure) but the later STM Phoenix had different chassis (even went round tube on some). There are a number of different versions of the Phoenix (Mk4 Clubman, Sylva Phoenix, STM Phoenix, Rainbird and then the Cyana MX500 and now Raw Phoenix).

The cockpit seating in a Phoenix tends to be narrower than a Fury and as has been said no doors or windscreen (although it has been tried). There are some Furys with Phoenix back ends.

I suggest you talk to Fisher Sportscars (BGH) and Raw then make the decision from there.

MK9R

posted on 10/12/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
you maybe able to get the round tubed pheonix kit from Caged

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 10/12/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Fury is more popular because it was really well supported (kit car workshop and Mark Fisher both did a brilliant job).

Phoenix was less comprehensively supported, especially for road use.

With the recent acquisition by the striker guys I expect the Phoenix to become popular.

Matt

Alez

posted on 10/12/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, so the Phoenix is now with Raw Engineering, cool! They have done a great job with the Striker in terms of support over many years, have they not?

As for the Fury, there's the standard one with doors and a windscreen and there's also the "Spyder", with neither. Not sure if the Spyder was developed by Sylva or the Fury was already in the hands of Fisher when that came out, but it seems to be very popular.

loggyboy

posted on 10/12/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Oh, so the Phoenix is now with Raw Engineering, cool! They have done a great job with the Striker in terms of support over many years, have they not?

I ordered my Striker in April, so should have had my kit in May/June, but it didnt appear. Raw got bought out by new managment in August, I was then promised my kit October, but I still dont have my kit and havent heard anything from them since October. Judging by their website they are more concerned with attending shows and sorting the Phoenix demonstrator than fullfilling old orders. So not doing very well IMO at the moment!

adithorp

posted on 10/12/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
RAW has recently been bought by the Bulmers (of cider fame). They also have purchased the Phoenix body rights and will be suppling Strikers, Fulcrums and Phenix all based on basically the same chassis.

The Fury is more popular because it's been easier to get one. Fury developed by Sylva, Spyder variant by Mark Fisher and Fullscreen Spyder by KitCarWorkshop.

[Edited on 10/12/10 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Alez

posted on 10/12/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I ordered my Striker in April, so should have had my kit in May/June, but it didnt appear. Raw got bought out by new managment in August, I was then promised my kit October, but I still dont have my kit and havent heard anything from them since October. Judging by their website they are more concerned with attending shows and sorting the Phoenix demonstrator than fullfilling old orders. So not doing very well IMO at the moment!

That's bad! I presume you've been calling them from time to time to see what the situation was? Did you put a deposit on it when you ordered it long ago? If so, has it been refunded?

Alez

posted on 10/12/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
RAW has recently been bought by the Bulmers (of cider fame).

Nothing lasts very long in the kit car business, it's always the same story, as soon as you memorize the name of a company, it goes out of business or sells whatever rights...

loggyboy

posted on 10/12/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlezThat's bad! I presume you've been calling them from time to time to see what the situation was? Did you put a deposit on it when you ordered it long ago? If so, has it been refunded?

I chased Mel on a monthly basis up until August when it he handed over to the Bulmer brothers , Callum and Jerermy (IIRC its their Dad who had and sold off the Cider empire back in 2004). I then gave the the new guys a chance to settle before chasing in October which was when I was promised (by new owner Callum) it would be ready the following week. I havent chased since then as our first baby was due in November so even if it was ready, I wouldnt have been in a position to collect it.
Im now not really fussed when it arrives (right on top of christmas isn't really ideal) so gonna wait for them to call me (I dont beleive I should have to chase them at all, let alone as much as I have.)
Ive paid a £500 deposit ,which depending on when/if they bother to update me, I will make call on if I want a refund or If I acctually still want the car (was hoping to get a lot of the build done this summer, prior to the lil one coming along.).

[Edited on 10/12/10 by loggyboy]

Alez

posted on 11/12/10 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Disappointing
gml7

posted on 12/12/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've had trouble with poor communication and some uncharacteristically poor work from RAW. I was told 2-3 weeks for a cage to be fitted, 6 weeks later after constant chasing it was "ready".

Make sure you deal with Callum and not Jeremy. You will still have to do most of the leg work and there's a whole raft of excuses but you will eventually get there.

Fully inspect any work/parts as well, BEFORE paying. I have learnt the hard way! The work done on my Striker was shoddy and foolishly I'd paid up front. It was like pulling teeth to get it corrected, but in fairness they are putting it right.

I agree that it seems that the effort seems to have been put into the website and going to shows rather than looking after existing customers. And every time i've been over to the factory Jeremy has been very keen to show me how much work they've done on his car!

Alez

posted on 14/12/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'll just get a Fury Spyder instead!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.