Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modifying lower rear shock mount on dedion beam
ned

posted on 12/7/04 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Modifying lower rear shock mount on dedion beam

Darren (et all),

Would there be any problem with me moving the lower rear shock mounts on the dedion axle as in the picture below.

The reason I want to do this is that the shock is going to be extremely short - max 12" open to fit in the standard location. I have some shocks, but they're slightly longer, and don't give enough room for bump (only 1" before the rubber bump stop). Moving the shock bracket as per the pic would give me an extra 3 inches or so.

Any comments anyone? or suggestions for alternative pickup points, I don't want to have to go and buy more shocks if I can help it...

Thanks,

Ned.

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 12/7/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 12/7/04 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
What about where the tube meets the didion tube wherer they are welded, a bit back? I am not sure how thick the tube you think of attaching it to is and it might buckle a bit.
Peteff

posted on 12/7/04 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Extend your top mounts inwards and slant the shocks to them. Rescued attachment IMG_1004.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1004.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ned

posted on 12/7/04 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Alain,

the metal on my location pic is quite substantial, i wouldn't worry about it buckling.

Interesting idea pete. i've ordered my fuel tank, so will see how much room i have to mount the two tubes at 45 degrees to the rear bottom end from the 4" rollbar plates and see if it'll work..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dozracing

posted on 13/7/04 at 04:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned,

Either would work, fuel tank shouldn't get in the way either.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

garage19

posted on 13/7/04 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
From my basic understanding (mis-understanding?) of suspension geometry, if you angled your shocks in more wouldn't that create more of a falling rate action???

I would weld brackets where you have suggested ned but check for clearance with the inside of the wheel and tyre first.

Doug.

mandy69

posted on 13/7/04 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
tight wad,buy some that fit.
Steve Hnz

posted on 15/7/04 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote
How about using a longer bolt from your top trailing arm mount on the axle . I know it would put the mount 90` to what it was originally but the book ones were that way aound & if the single purchase was a problem then run a tab off the hub tube to brace the outer end of you bolt. You may need to shift your top mounts out slightly too, but this way you keep your shock vertical & give more clearance to your wheel. Just a thought. Cheers, Steve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.