Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting this one-off through IVA?
Alez

posted on 7/4/11 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Getting this one-off through IVA?

Gents,

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2263528.htm

Do you think this can be made road legal any cheaply at all?

Would anyone be interested in doing it for me?

Ballpark cost breakdown? (labour + bits as obviously it requires lights and so on)

Thoughts, please?

SeaBass

posted on 7/4/11 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Nice car. I would think you are looking at at least £1.5k to get it totally on the road doing the work yourself. Refit wipers, demister, lights, sort out projections (inside and out!), labels, locking devices, reverse gear. It would not be nice to drive on UK tarmac though.
deezee

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'd guess additional work work be

Dash with all tell tale lights
Interior projections
Exterior projections
Noise
Fuel Tank location
Securing all wiring, fuel and brake lines
Exterior lighting
IVA Friendly Steering wheel
Handbrake required
Brake Bias
Windscreen heater
Indirect Vision
E Marked Glass

I think there would be a surprising amount of work as at no point has the IVA been considered in the build.

Alez

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Uh ok, so effort wise, seen as a road car this is a half built car... but then again it wasn't conceived for the road anyway.
chrisxr2

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
loving that

That is lovely, is there the potential to swop everythinh to another mini??? Seems a bargain for whats there.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Triton

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
nice car for not a lot of money.....go on buy it you know you want to and to hell with the cost of making it road legal.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
I'd guess additional work work be

Dash with all tell tale lights
Interior projections
Exterior projections
Noise
Fuel Tank location
Securing all wiring, fuel and brake lines
Exterior lighting
IVA Friendly Steering wheel
Handbrake required
Brake Bias
Windscreen heater
Indirect Vision
E Marked Glass

I think there would be a surprising amount of work as at no point has the IVA been considered in the build.

There are some pretty tough things in that list. Adding a reverse gear is also needed, and might also be quite hard.

All round I guess it would be possible, but it would be depressing to take what looks like a nicely engineered race car and change it just for the test.

Alez

posted on 7/4/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Reverse used to not be a requirement! I've owned two road legal bike engined locost cars and none had reverse. Is this change something to do with the change from SVA to IVA?
Triton

posted on 7/4/11 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Reverse used to not be a requirement! I've owned two road legal bike engined locost cars and none had reverse. Is this change something to do with the change from SVA to IVA?

I'm afraid so the new IVA calls for bike engined cars to be fitted with a reverse doodah.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deezee

posted on 7/4/11 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yes it was brought in with the IVA, a long with other additions and revisions.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/4/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezeeYes it was brought in with the IVA, a long with other additions and revisions.

Such as £190 up to £450 in a single sweep! Not that I'm bitter or anything

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 7/4/11 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I can't be the only thinking of just buying a cheap knackered Mini road car and moving the number plate and chassis number accross? Then just inform the DVLA of the engine change and make sure your insurance know about the 'modifications' and bobs-yer-munkle.

Not completely above board but.... sometimes convienience far outweighs the risk. I mean how many hugely modified Mini's are out on the roads now? Probably more than standard Minis and as long as your taxed, insured and MOT'd the Police aren't going to do anything and ANPR speed cameras will never pick up any problem.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Alez

posted on 7/4/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
You might get away with it but only until you need to get it through MOT, so I can't see that as an option (despite personally not having any ethical problem with it).
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/4/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
yeah beetle based cars are great for that kind of thing, even the chassis number is a doddle to put on another car. Just to have the free road tax makes it well worth while to buy an old pile of rust just for the number and log book. It’s totally imposable to tell afterwards.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

blakep82

posted on 7/4/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
lol, and ot think of all the outrage you get on here whenever someone finds a MNR, MK, etc registered as a dutton on ebay

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 7/4/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
lol, and ot think of all the outrage you get on here whenever someone finds a MNR, MK, etc registered as a dutton on ebay

Not from me you won't.

If the Government insist on Policing the roads with cameras that can't tell a Beetle from a Baja or a Mini from a Z-Car or Dutton from an MK then thats their fault.

To be honest I'd rather have encountered 50+ dodgily registered MK's on the way home tonight than the seemingly endless strem of middle lane morons that blighted my journey.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/4/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You might get away with it but only until you need to get it through MOT, so I can't see that as an option (despite personally not having any ethical problem with it).

TBH i doubt the MOT tester would care, its got a chassis number and number plates....

If its not fitted with certain things, he cant test them as i understand it.

If some of the monstrosities that find themselves on ebay get through ok, then why the hell not.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Alez

posted on 12/4/11 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_CopelandIf its not fitted with certain things, he cant test them as i understand it.

If some of the monstrosities that find themselves on ebay get through ok, then why the hell not.

Hmm not sure it works like that? Actually I want to replace the steering wheel of my MX-5 with one of the original Momo ones without an airbag (since the airbag doesn't work anyway) but I haven't done in case it won't get through MOT.

blakep82

posted on 12/4/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't have to have an airbag for MOT. my airbag warning light has been on for years, it doesn't work, yet passed many mots without it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_CopelandIf its not fitted with certain things, he cant test them as i understand it.

Hmm not sure it works like that? Actually I want to replace the steering wheel of my MX-5 with one of the original Momo ones without an airbag (since the airbag doesn't work anyway) but I haven't done in case it won't get through MOT.

It can't be tested anyway, unless they are going to drive into a wall. MOT is not as strict as you think Alez.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.