Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting the car back into good nick
cadebytiger

posted on 14/4/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Getting the car back into good nick

Hello all

The bodywork on my Tiger has declined over the past few years and now looks terrible. It has scratches and chips (particularly on the bonnet - thats what happens if you take you forget to do your bonnet catches up!) and has faded from red to orange with white and black swirls.

I also need to clean up the paint on various parts of the suspension and chassis where it has started to peal.

The grp is riveted in place and to get it off i will have to drill them out which will leave the ends of the rivets sliding around inside the chassis rails. How do people deal with this?

I will then send the pannels off to be preped and sprayed i think. I don't have the space/skill to do it myself.

Does anyone know a good bodyshop near me (south birmingham). Any idea what it is likely to set me back?

Thanks again

Rupert

[Edited on 14/4/11 by cadebytiger]

wilkingj

posted on 14/4/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Squirt some Waxoyl into the chassis, this will stop the rivets rattling about, it will also protect the chassis from rusting inside as its been drilled and exposed to the air / moisture etc.

Cant help with the bodyshop, but make sure they are knowlegeable when it comes to fibreglass as its probably not the same paint as for metal etc etc. It needs careful prep. The better the prep the better the final finish.

Ask to see some of their paintwork on Fi-glass, or better still find a customer who can give you the low down.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/4/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
You'll not hear the rivets rattling around anyway, so wouldn't worry about that... Although waxyoil is a good idea for rust prevention.

Have you thought about just replacing the bodywork? Not sure how much tiger charge but it's a possibility.

Also you could get them vinyl wrapped while still on the car.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Miks15

posted on 14/4/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just saw youre from bournville, i run around there sometimes.

Always wierd running past a chocolate factory

And just thinking about another post yesterday (i think) can you not polish back the bad paint to the good paint underneath?

Might save taking the panels off?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.