Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old Driving to New Photo License - Any Pitfalls?
Surrey Dave

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Old Driving to New Photo License - Any Pitfalls?

Was thinking of replacing my old green license with a new identity card job , it seems that there are a whole load of new groups these days will I lose out , by updating?

Think mine , A,D,E on it .

blakep82

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
you'll still have those, you'll only lose them if you somehow pass your test after 1997, but if you already have them, you'll keep them

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

P ?

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
It's renewable every 10 years at currently renewable price
blakep82

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by P ?
It's renewable every 10 years at currently renewable price

weird, i've had mine for 11 now, and not needed to renew...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

vinny1275

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Blake, have you checked the expiry date on your licence?

blakep82

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
Blake, have you checked the expiry date on your licence?

yep, well, for rubbish medical reasons i have to do it every 3 years, BUT the 10 year renewal is for a new photo, i've never had to replace the photo, and my license is currently valid til may 2013, and i got my licence in jan 2000, so over 13 years on the one photo, and this current licence was replaced in may 2010 (not quite 10 years exactly), so should have had a new photo then...

[Edited on 3/5/11 by blakep82]

hucky

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
section 4b is the exp date. apparently if its past that date then licance is void untill replaced... its just another way for the UK to screw us over really as you have to pay to update
MikeCapon

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hoorah for the old green paper license then.

Mine was issued in 1987 and runs out in 2027

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Had to renew mine @ £25 IIRC last year, Passport this year @ £50 + child's passport @ £50

If you have a paper one I say keep hold of it, I only ended up with a photocard one as I moved house and had to update the address which dictated changing to a photo lisence

steve m

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
my licence is pink and isued on 25/01/83
jollygreengiant

posted on 3/5/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
to quote the old adage,

'If it ain't broke don't fix it.'
It will only end up costing you more and give you a world of grief as well. WHY give the (mis-)government any more than they diserve.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Humbug

posted on 3/5/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's pink and green and valid until 2029 - interestingly enough, to the day before my 70th birthday... I wasn't born until 11am, so they are doing me out of 11 hours driving that I should be entitled to

So, as long as I don't move house I can keep this ragged piece of paper stuck together with sellotape, which is already nearly 14 years old for another 18 years... Perhaps I should have an 18th or 21st birthday party for it?

blakep82

posted on 3/5/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Mine's pink and green and valid until 2029 - interestingly enough, to the day before my 70th birthday... I wasn't born until 11am, so they are doing me out of 11 hours driving that I should be entitled to

So, as long as I don't move house I can keep this ragged piece of paper stuck together with sellotape, which is already nearly 14 years old for another 18 years... Perhaps I should have an 18th or 21st birthday party for it?

when it's 17, it can get its own driving license

Surrey Dave

posted on 3/5/11 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I'll keep it until 2025............

[Edited on 3/5/11 by Surrey Dave]
David Jenkins

posted on 3/5/11 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
My original licence was a little book with a red card cover... showing my age!

Just make sure that the paper one is totally legible, clean and tidy - someone got nicked a year or three back because his paper licence was deemed to be unreadable.

[Edited on 3/5/11 by David Jenkins]

Humbug

posted on 3/5/11 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

when it's 17, it can get its own driving license

Good point... though, since it's disabled, it should be able to get its own licence at 16?

trikerneil

posted on 3/5/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you do decide to update your license go to the post office with your old one and get them to take a couple of photcopies and stamp them with the official post office stamp and write "original seen" on the copies. It should only cost a couple of quid.

I have heard of people losing entitlements i.e. bike license and having to take their test again.
If you have an officially stamped copy of your old license you are in a better position to get your entitlements back if they get "lost".

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 3/5/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
What's a license?

It's Evolution Baby!

JoelP

posted on 3/5/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
What's a license?

did you sell yours?!

paulf

posted on 3/5/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
You can ask to have the old licence returned when you apply, I recently decided that I really needed to change the address on my old licence as i moved house some time ago and not got around to it.
I asked for the old licence to be returned and also put a note to remind them of bike entitlement, old licence came back with cancelled across it and new one with all entitlements and was free of charge due to change off address, I also save one time of having to renew it every 10 years (''
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by trikerneil
If you do decide to update your license go to the post office with your old one and get them to take a couple of photcopies and stamp them with the official post office stamp and write "original seen" on the copies. It should only cost a couple of quid.

I have heard of people losing entitlements i.e. bike license and having to take their test again.
If you have an officially stamped copy of your old license you are in a better position to get your entitlements back if they get "lost".

HTH

Neil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.