Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shimming gts dedion
scoop

posted on 18/5/11 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Shimming gts dedion

Assuming that they are all made on the same jig and are therefore not too far out from each other what sort of shimming are people putting in to get a bit of toe in and camber. Come to that does anyone know what sort of settings it gives you as standard? I know your eyes can play tricks on you but my wheels look like they are towing out.
Cheers

gavin174

posted on 18/5/11 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I used a GTS de-deon on my locost.

I didn't shim it all. Haven't had the car professionally set up thou

Have done 2k miles and a couple of airfield days and tyres are wearing nice and square

Seems to handle ok to.

Have you set the ride height correctly as this will alter the camber.

Cheers Gavin.

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

Triton

posted on 18/5/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
They WERE made square so wheels ran without any toe in or out, but that was a quite a few years ago now so who knows these days.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 18/5/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Not much I presume but then I don't know your car. As the camber and toe won't vary with suspension movement on a dedion (assuming nothing flexes!) about 0.5 negative camber and a couple of mm toe-in I guess.

It will very much depend on your tyres for camber. Why not put a few mm toe-in to keep things safe and increase negative camber until you no longer feel an improvement, and then back off a little.

As I found by experiment you don't want toe out at all the blessed thing becomes unstable and darts all over the place. Flex in rear suspension under hard acceleration can cause this hence the toe in.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
birdii

posted on 18/5/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think there is anyway you can shim the hubs/axle to alter the toe, it is what it is! I guess if its wrong then the plates need to come off and be re-aligned correctly but not easy without a jig to work from.

If you were to put a wedge type shim behind the hub then the location bolts would not be aligned squarely to the hub plate on the tube so this wouldn't work.

I had an axle from GTS which had one of the plates welded on upside down (the holes are slightly different width apart top and bottom), one day I might chop it apart and rebuild using plates that include the calliper mounting lugs. Have never got around to checking the toe on the replacement axle.

Eyes can play tricks when looking at wheel angles, try a length of straight steel located on the wheel to exaggerate the angle.

Dan

big-vee-twin

posted on 18/5/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Perfectly straight, and I can't see how it would be possible to shim

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

gavin174

posted on 18/5/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
When I was racing sierra's we would put washers between the hub flange and the bearing carrier, if that makes sense

That way we could adjust camber and toe on the rear..

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

nick205

posted on 18/5/11 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
You can shim it by fitting washers between the Sierra hub and the axle mounting plate. Very thin shims (0.5mm) will have have a marked effect on the toe angle over the size of the wheel. I corrected and balanced the rear toe on my old Indy in this way and achieved a noticeable improvement. As for bolt misalignment, this IMHO is a non-issue over the distances and angles involved.

Before you make any adjustments you have to check the existing set-up including; centreline of the car, set-back across each axle, ride height, front toe/camber and so on. Only then can you make any decision on what and how much to adjust things by and then re-check the set-up to make sure you haven't changed something else.

I'd recommend a read through Des Hammill's book on setting up kit car suspension and brakes for more detailed info on the theory and practices - published by Veloce.

scoop

posted on 19/5/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hit and run but many thanks for all your replies. I'll have to go somewhere who can do the full motorsport set i guess to have it properly. Cheers
procomp

posted on 20/5/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

On the back end of the MK Indy's and the older Mac1's Etc i use shim steel and make washers. What thickness is required will depend on how far out the settings are to start with.
Your aiming for around 1.5mm toe in and 0.5 neg camber.
The actual Dedion setups will vary widely from each other on accuracy all dependent on how it was welded up and allowed to cool.

Cheers Matt

Magnus 2074

posted on 15/5/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have just finished building my GTS and started to do the wheel setup today.
To my suprise, the GTS Dedion axle had 13,5mm total toe-in!!
I bought the kit through Darren 2½ years ago, so I guess claiming a new axle isn't possible....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.