Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which engine from the Ford saga?
Alez

posted on 19/5/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Which engine from the Ford saga?

I'm not very familiar but the popular ones for Locost builds seem to be the so called cross flow, Pinto, Zetec and Duratec?

I would like to know which one of these was the first to feature electronic ignition and EFI as I'm looking to buy a basic spec Locost or similar but don't want to go neither contacts nor carb.

Thanks for your help

big_wasa

posted on 19/5/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Last of the pinto's was efi but there is the cvh between that and the zetec.

It dont get much cheaper than a zetec if starting from scratch.

Alez

posted on 19/5/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
That's exactly the information I needed, thanks!
mcerd1

posted on 19/5/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
The stock pinto EFI setup has been used by quite a few folk on here
thanks to a recent thread about mpg figures I know that richwill, jollygreengiant and Mark Allanson all have this setup (and there others too)

there is an old thread somewhere with a guide to shortening the plenum to fit under the bonet

the only thing I'd say is there are plenty ways to get electronic ignition for cars with carb's - even on the ones that originally had points [/contacts]
a bike carb + electronic ignition will give you more power than the stock EFI

ps - if you want any pinto EFI bits I stripped 2 whole cars with it - but I'm using bike carbs so I'm not using any of the EFI bits

[Edited on 19/5/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Alez

posted on 20/5/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Nice I'm not looking at it from a builder's perspective but this is all valuable information, I may change my mind on the carb actually, the bike carb setup sounds interesting.

Oh and I've just learnt from you it's not "contacts" but "points", which is useful too...

coozer

posted on 20/5/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec with bike carbs is the cheapest way to go these days. Instant 150~165bhp.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mcerd1

posted on 20/5/11 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
I may change my mind on the carb actually, the bike carb setup sounds interesting.

Oh and I've just learnt from you it's not "contacts" but "points", which is useful too...

the sort of bike carb's most people use on are from late 90's ~900cc+ super bike (ZX9R's, R1's, Fireblade's.... and so on)
so they are relatively modern, quite cheap and capable of plenty of power

I think technicaly its a 'contact breaker' ignition system, but most people in the UK would call them points
ford acutally started using distributors with electronic insides on the last of the cars with carbs (things like carb'd sierra's etc....)

if you go to a more modern engine that doesn't have a dizzy you can still use carbs but you'll need an ignition only ECU like megajolt or similar (which can be fitted to almost any engine)

[Edited on 20/5/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Alez

posted on 20/5/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'd rather avoid having a distributor even if it has electronic ignition inside. I've seen aftermarket points to electronic ignition conversions for Mallory distributors as used on Rover V8 engines and I'm not too convinced.

Hmm OK, then if I wanted "proper" electronic ignition (I mean no distributor) and carbs, what engine choices do I need to watch when I look at the adverts?

And if I wanted EFI, am I looking for "last of the Pintos" onwards as advised by big_wasa or do those have distributor type ignition (be it contacts or electronic)?

Cheers for the tips.

mcerd1

posted on 20/5/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
the last of the pinto's = late 1980's onwards (hard to be exact, but most 88-93 cars are EFI)

all the pintos have distibutors, so do the DOHC's and CVH's (even the cosworth YB's had a dizzy)

if you want something that never had a dizzy then your looking at zetecs and duratecs

I wouldn't worry about which ignition system the car has when you buy it, if its running with carb's then you can easily change it to a distributorless system yourself
have a read here: http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide
(if the car has EFI and a dizzy its a bit tricky, as it might involve a whole new ECU depening on the setup)

only thing to watch out for on some engines (like pinto's) the dizzy also drives the oil pump - so you need to keep atleast the bottom half of it - like this cut down one I've got:

I got an EFI pinto in my donor car, but I've got rid of all the EFI bits and the dizzy - I'm going to use these ZX9R carb's instead (on a very shinny bogg bros manifold) with megajolt for the sparks - alot of people on here use similar setups

that said there isn't anything really wrong with the factory electronic distributors, they are just as reliable as the systems without a dizzy in my experience

[Edit] did you see this add form last week: linky

[Edited on 20/5/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Alez

posted on 23/5/11 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hey, thanks for that, crystal clear now, very useful.

That Luego looks correctly priced to me and very nice but what I'm looking for exactly is either a cheap Locost (3k maximum) or preferably a better spec and more expensive (up to 6k) Fury / Phoenix / Stylus.

Thanks.

Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.