Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ruined my battery
Irony

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Ruined my battery

Do to my naivety and lack of experience I have I think completely ruined my brand new never been used VARTA battery. I bought it a year ago and have foolishly left it without charging it. I put the multimeter across it the other day and no voltage whatsoever. Is this battery now completely ruined? I haven't tried charging it.

I did by it from a local motor factor and having read up on here about it I made sure it's got either a 4 year guarantee or maybe 5 year. Has anyone tried taking a battery back and in what circumstances is a exchange likely?

[Edited on 23/2/12 by Irony]

Bluemoon

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Charge it first, see if it recovers (you never know you could be lucky).
owelly

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Have a looksy at the plates. If they are all wavy and furry, chances are it's knackered in which case return it under warrenty but don't tell them it's been sat for a year!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Have a looksy at the plates. If they are all wavy and furry, chances are it's knackered in which case return it under warrenty but don't tell them it's been sat for a year!

+1

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 23/2/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
The thing with these new battery chargers, is that they need to recognise that a battery has been connected to start the charge. If your battery is completely flat , try fooling the charger by dropping a 12v current across your battery pins. I use a drill/driver battery.
Brad.

P ?

posted on 23/2/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
i shopped for batteries purely for the 4/5 year guarantee... halfords at one point knew what i wanted before i said anything 7 times in a year swapped a battery ... the good old days of large stereo's hehe

just need your receipt

britishtrident

posted on 23/2/12 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Frst try this, Put it on a slow charge for 24+hours don't be surprised if it takes 12 hours before it starts to take more than a tiny current if the battery is taking charge the current will eventually rise then slowly fall off as full charge is approached.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

clanger

posted on 23/2/12 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
optimate is your friend, flat batteries are a way of life for us bikers
pewe

posted on 23/2/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Back in the bad old days we used to whack 30amps into totally flat batteries on the grounds that they were sweet FA use anyway. Surprisingly 9/10 they resurrected themselves but you couldn't wander off and leave then cooking!
If all else fails take it to a local friendly garage and ask them to whack some charge in to wake it up.

BTW clanger just back from a sneaky two wheel blat - boy do I miss that!
Cheers, Pewe10

clanger

posted on 23/2/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
BTW clanger just back from a sneaky two wheel blat - boy do I miss that!
Cheers, Pewe10

waiting for the salt to go before pulling the covers off the 748

britishtrident

posted on 23/2/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
There is a difference between a flat battery and an absolutely flat battery with no charge at all.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

plentywahalla

posted on 23/2/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Frst try this, Put it on a slow charge for 24+hours don't be surprised if it takes 12 hours before it starts to take more than a tiny current if the battery is taking charge the current will eventually rise then slowly fall off as full charge is approached.

Agreed ... if it has just gone flat then it won't have caused any damage/buckled plates etc. If you whack a big charge into it now, that is when the damage is done. Charge it on a very low current, less than 1 amp or so for 24 hours. You have to slowly bring it back into life.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.