Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mighest Milage you've achieved?
morcus

posted on 26/1/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mighest Milage you've achieved?

I went to see a car that had made it a third of the way to a million miles today and the car, a Volvo V70, looked pristine inside and out. Didn't check everything as I was only there because my dad had come to see a 407 and I was just looking around. This got me wondering, whats the most you've ever gotten out of a car and did you have to do anything major to get it there?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

PSpirine

posted on 26/1/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
My Passat is currently on 233k, on original engine, gearbox, CLUTCH :O

Had a set of rear dampers, and front suspension bushes etc. along with cam belts and oil changes. No wear to driver's seat at all, just the usual scuffing round the car from arduous use. Everything still works, all electrics. Starts on the first crank, even though it's a diesel.

Only thing is front ball joint failed while driving last week so have to see whether it's worth repairing it.

Volvo and late 90's VAG cars tend to be somewhat over-engineered, and comfortable enough that people will keep them for hundreds of thousands of miles.

fha772

posted on 26/1/13 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Our 2000 Mercedes ML500, is at 295K, the only non service item failure was the transfer box diff last year, it took 45 minutes to swap the box, and the replacement box cost £125.
But, the rad has just developed a minor leak, and so has the header tank, both due to the plastic they are made going brittle, I've got a new tank and rad to fit next week, total cost of £190.
Apart from that, we've had no real issues.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

wilkingj

posted on 26/1/13 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I sold my 1984 Land Rover about 6 years ago with about 180k miles on it (I did 100k+ in it), and my mate has taken it over 270k and beyond.
Its still going strong, and in regular use.

Just regular oil and filter changes, it makes a big difference on a diesel.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 26/1/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sold my BMW 525 which was 6 year old with 220k miles.

1 clutch n gearbox etc.

Only issue was a new dpf filter n bushes.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 26/1/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get 300,000miles out of my old £350 Citroen XM , had 125,000 when I got it , lasted 13 years and got £2000 under the scrapage scheme.Had a clutch ,a few sets of tyres, a set of suspension spheres ,one wheel bearing and a drop link
bob

posted on 26/1/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Galactic miler coach

I met someone who had a Volvo chassied 53 seater coach that had covered 650K miles plus, the only reason the coach was sold last year was because of emisions in london otherwise it would still be running.

The coach evidently had the original engine and gearbox and the only major part replaced was the diff or part of it (electrical gyro type braking failed)

Also heard this milage is not unheard of with coaches and 650K is not exactly special.

bashracing

posted on 26/1/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
about 8 years ago i got a lift home in a nissan bluebird taxi with 1.2 million on the clock,
most i've had is 315k on a 300 tdi disco but it had a new head at 200k

40inches

posted on 26/1/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Have a SAAB 9-5 Aero Estate that has 107,000 miles on it, and a SAAB 9-3 SE hatch with 230,000 miles, both going strong.

mark chandler

posted on 26/1/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
2 x P38 range rovers, 4.6 HSE both hit 200k, one blew a head gasket @ 195,000 apart from that just fluids and brake pads and discs.
NigeEss

posted on 26/1/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
300tdi Disco with 268k apart from usual service items it only ever needed a header tank.
Recently bought a Transit Connnect with 230k, full dealer history though.
Dad had a Mk4 Cortina estate, 2l Pinto with 285k on the original clutch and camshaft and that
was used as a taxi

The secret is simple....regular oil changes and mechanical sympathy.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

INDY BIRD

posted on 26/1/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Current Mondeo st tdci has done 190k in that time normal servicing oil pressure switch and just the other day front spring broke what a pig of a job to fit a new spring on,

Other than that touch wood all good and still get 56 mpg

BigFaceDave

posted on 26/1/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Passat TDI with 206k on the clock and never had any problems with it, I think it had about 230k when I sold it to someone on here so I hope its still going! Might find out soon if he reads this thread!

I once drover a N reg Merc sprinter hire van with 650k on it and it went like stink! Really didnt feel like it had done that many miles either was a cracking van! That would have been about 2004, I hope its still going!

plentywahalla

posted on 26/1/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Reading this thread cheers me muchly .... It makes my Disco Td5 with only 247,000 feel young and full of life...! New auto box at 180k otherwise faultless.

Just done 350 mile round trip today towing a boat and trailer. Ran like a bird.

[Edited on 26/1/13 by plentywahalla]

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

pmc_3

posted on 26/1/13 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigFaceDave
I bought a Passat TDI with 206k on the clock and never had any problems with it, I think it had about 230k when I sold it to someone on here so I hope its still going! Might find out soon if he reads this thread!

I once drover a N reg Merc sprinter hire van with 650k on it and it went like stink! Really didnt feel like it had done that many miles either was a cracking van! That would have been about 2004, I hope its still going!

That would be me! Sold it september last year at 245k not because of any running issues but because it needed a pair of tyres, backbox, front calipers, rear discs and pads and taxing. Sold it as spares or repairs and it is still on the road as far as I know. It was used daily and regularly used to pull cars about on a trailer.

BigFaceDave

posted on 26/1/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
quote:

That would be me! Sold it september last year at 245k not because of any running issues but because it needed a pair of tyres, backbox, front calipers, rear discs and pads and taxing. Sold it as spares or repairs and it is still on the road as far as I know. It was used daily and regularly used to pull cars about on a trailer.

Its taxed until the end of next month! Id love to know how many miles its got now! I cant remember ever having to do anything to it just serviced it a few times and a new cambelt and water pump when I bought it and that was it! Proper locost stuff!

will121

posted on 26/1/13 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Peugeot 306 hdi from New for 10 years, done 225k same clutch couple shocks and a in tank fuel pump (plus a French wiring issue under warentee) I sold it as thought clutch was on way out, two years later its still driving around and still not had clutch done, since selling it had a Laguna and now a vectra had more issues than ever before!
T66

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Cavalier 1.7D - bought with 90k on it, sold it for£500 with 220,000 on it.

Only work it ever got done, was the timing belt which snapped and broke 2 of the rockers. Only spent on fuel and tyres

coozer

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Leyland Lynx, worst drive in the world, crashing over the bumps. bang bang.. however at 1,000,000 mile, yes, 1 million.. still on original engine and gearbox..

Also all the buses in the depot had a re-engine (default) at 1 million miles..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

kajzw

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
298k from my 2001 Golf Tdi, only needed a head gasket, a clutch and a fair few tires! All ended abruptly at the hands of the Father-in-Law when he forgot that brakes are useful for stopping!
fha772

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
If we can count commercial vehicles, I've got a 1936 ERF with around 550K on the clock, it's been off the road for the last few years, as the Cab's wooden frame has gone rotten.
We've owned it from nearly new, and once I've done the cab it will be going back to work, not to shows, lorries are meant for working, not polishing...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

sdh2903

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just to go to the other end of the spectrum we have a 1999 sprinter with a scissorlift on the back at work that spends its days plodding around the airport when it's rarely needed. 2300kms from New! The joke is as we have a running maintenance contract to satisfy health and safety, it gets serviced every 6 months, there are 20+ service stamps in the book. New oil and filter approx every 100km

pmc_3

posted on 26/1/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
quote:

Its taxed until the end of next month! Id love to know how many miles its got now! I cant remember ever having to do anything to it just serviced it a few times and a new cambelt and water pump when I bought it and that was it! Proper locost stuff!

Only big thing I had to do was to replace most of the suspension arms at the front for the MOT. Two brothers bought it who both owned Passat's they were trying to make 2 good cars out of 3, looks like one of theirs drew the short straw!

[Edited on 26/1/13 by pmc_3]

coyoteboy

posted on 27/1/13 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
My fathers BMW 5 series made it to 250K miles *With the original exhaust from top to bottom*.
chicade

posted on 27/1/13 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Peugeot 205 diesel many years ago c reg had 286k on the clock still on original engine and box after driving it for a few days the speedo worked fine but the mileometer never increased spoke to guy who I bought it off he said it hadn't worked for years and he did a daily commute of around 75 miles 6 days a week! I run it for 2 yrs doing approx 300 miles a week too must of done 400k+ easy and other than oil changes and some front pads n tyres ran like dream and I sold it for £200 which was all I paid for it cheapest couple of years motoring I have ever had! Plus it would run on anything .... Diesel,Gas oil,kerosene,veg oil owt really!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.