Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: non car tech and LCB car chat, ill change that! undercover police cars.
bi22le

posted on 14/3/13 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
non car tech and LCB car chat, ill change that! undercover police cars.

at the time of posting this all new posts were locost and such like related. that will keep the haters happy!!

on a non LCB note. i commuted in and out of central London today and witnessed sone awful, rude and selfish driving.

i was thinking that the reason they do it is because they can get away with it as there are no police.

so, if all police cars were under cover they would not know who is watching there offensive driving. do you think this would help stop some of the selfish driving i watched today?

Happy LCB peeps.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Westy1994

posted on 15/3/13 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
120 views and no replies... OK here's my take on it.

Being 'undercover' is not the answer, the answer is government funding. Police today appear to be as hardup as we are and face cuts in all departments. I think that they are hoping that the many CCTV systems that are in operation around big cities will help catch the person (s) commiting a crime - be that motoring related or not, once the infrastructure is in place it just needs one or two folks to watch screens all day, far cheaper than having a car with the costs that go with running one The problem is the cameras cant film everything and with the lack of 'On the beat' policeman offences go un-noticed - when was the last time you saw your local bobby on his rounds? be that on foot or on a pushbike let alone a car - There is no funding for the beat bobby now and is why kids today are as they are hanging about street corners and the like and...why you are seeing driving such as you are.

Answer - Reinstate the beat bobby and give them the Panda cars back Simples.......

spiderman

posted on 15/3/13 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
120 views and no replies... OK here's my take on it.

Being 'undercover' is not the answer, the answer is government funding. Police today appear to be as hardup as we are and face cuts in all departments. I think that they are hoping that the many CCTV systems that are in operation around big cities will help catch the person (s) commiting a crime - be that motoring related or not, once the infrastructure is in place it just needs one or two folks to watch screens all day, far cheaper than having a car with the costs that go with running one The problem is the cameras cant film everything and with the lack of 'On the beat' policeman offences go un-noticed - when was the last time you saw your local bobby on his rounds? be that on foot or on a pushbike let alone a car - There is no funding for the beat bobby now and is why kids today are as they are hanging about street corners and the like and...why you are seeing driving such as you are.

Answer - Reinstate the beat bobby and give them the Panda cars back Simples.......

+1
Local bobbies would also have a fair idea as to the culprits of crimes committed and be able to sort things out without involving the legal courts fiasco by getting culprits to right their wrong doings against other locals. More serious crimes would be obviously reported and dealt with appropriately. No1 eyeball is better than any cctv camera as the computer behind it is far superior than anything we can build.

Spider

Furyous

posted on 15/3/13 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
Driving around Auckland, I see at least a couple of police cars each day. I was back in Britain for a month over Christmas and the whole time I only saw a handful of police cars. I know the UK has a lot more unmarked cars, but you would think an obvious police presence would be a good deterrent. New Zealand drivers are terrible and crime rates are about equal to the UK, but my point is the police are more obvious in Auckland. Even in other towns I've been to there seem to be a lot of police cars going around.

I've often thought the concept of painting speed cameras bright yellow defeats the purpose. If you don't know where they are, you would be on your guard all the time. Instead we see what everyone complains about: People slamming the brakes on as they approach the camera, then speeding up afterwards.

britishtrident

posted on 15/3/13 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I am really getting pee'd off with the way solid white lines are ignored at slip roads and dual carriage way merges.
My other pet hate is the way it seems almost the done thing to ignore No U Turn signs.

The worst example of selfness I have seen is the section of the A77 between the B764 road end an Fennick which is by-passed by the M77, here the once 4 lane road is reduced to 2 lane black top with the other half turned into a full width dedicate cycle cycle lane. It is very common to encounter cyclist riding 2 or 3 abreast on the main carriage way ignoring the well maintained cycle lane, these cyclist mainly come from the Strathclyde Police training college who use cycling as part of their fitness program --- do as I say not as I do !

[Edited on 15/3/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

whitestu

posted on 15/3/13 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I drive in central london a lot and even when the police do see dab driving they seem loathe to do anything as stopping the traffic causes chaos.

Other than the cameras it is the law of the jungle.

However often cameras are set up just to make some money. I got caught by one and fought it on the grounds that the road markings and signs were clearly designed to set the driver up to get a ticket.

I won as well.

Stu

zetec

posted on 15/3/13 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
In London the influx of people from other countries has driven down standards. I cant believe the number of people who not just run red lights but ignore them totally! Bad enough enough in a car but when 40+ ton of non UK plate lorry steams through after leaving the M25 things are very wrong! Also, how do illegal imagrants get insurance? I've lived in the UK all my life and I get asked everything about my life etc...I wonder if they are insured? Or if they would stop if they caused an accident? or if they have a licence? I now point out to my kids to watch the traffic and make a game of counting the number of red light jumpers just to make them aware.

Pet hates at the moment.

Old fav...Middle lane owners club
Ten point turn on a busy high street stopping all traffic both ways, big fav with local minicabs.
Dozy parents dropping kids off at school when 99% live within 5 mins walk.

More traffic light cameras, more road side checks (the car might be insured but is the driver?)

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

maccmike

posted on 15/3/13 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
my biggest pet hate is indicating.

or rather the lack of it.

round abouts, motorway lane changes, turning off main roads, cross roads, T junctions. No one seems to indicate where I live.

Funny thing is though, as soon as theres a marked car, the standards suddenly improve.

So they do actually know the rules, which peeves me even more.

Peteff

posted on 15/3/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I almost got knocked down on a Pelican crossing yesterday by a woman in a Jimny who was obviously far too important to have to stop for a red light and bleeper. At the traffic lights down the road if you are coming uphill and going straight on or left people coming down the hill to turn right seem to think it is their right of way and cut across the front of you. I also live opposite a junction with a stop sign which is regularly ignored and drivers cut the corner coming into the junction causing anyone approaching it to brake sharply, unless it's the bus then they go into panic mode and swerve onto the pavement.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Phil.J

posted on 15/3/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Another thing that really ticks me off is drivers who sit in traffic queues with their foot on the footbrake rather than using the handbrake. It's just plain discourteous to the following driver.

[Edited on 15/3/13 by Phil.J]

whitestu

posted on 15/3/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

round abouts, motorway lane changes, turning off main roads, cross roads, T junctions. No one seems to indicate where I live.

Funny thing is though, as soon as theres a marked car, the standards suddenly improve.

I did a driver training thing through work a coulpe of years ago. The instructor's main criticism of my driving was that I used the indicators on the motorway. In her view you shouldn't really be indicating on motorways for joining, leaving, chainging lanes etc.

Stu

jps

posted on 15/3/13 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

I did a driver training thing through work a coulpe of years ago. The instructor's main criticism of my driving was that I used the indicators on the motorway. In her view you shouldn't really be indicating on motorways for joining, leaving, chainging lanes etc.

Stu

The thing that annoys me the most is seeing driving instructor cars being driven badly!

swanny

posted on 15/3/13 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote

Stu

I remember being told this on an advanced driving day. cant see what harm it does and surely its a better habit to be in (indicating everytime you change lanes) than not indicating at all? certainly the potential consequences for both options seem to weigh heavily in favour of the safety first, indicate every time approach?

paul

mcerd1

posted on 15/3/13 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestuI did a driver training thing through work a coulpe of years ago. The instructor's main criticism of my driving was that I used the indicators on the motorway. In her view you shouldn't really be indicating on motorways for joining, leaving, chainging lanes etc.

did she complain that you didn't youe the middle lane enough too ?

-

maccmike

posted on 15/3/13 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Im an advanced driver. If you have the slightest chance of impacting on another drivers course, you indicate.

If Im travelling faster then the car behind, and the mway is clear other wise, I wouldnt indicate to pull in front of them.

However, if Im in the outside lane, I would indicate to move into the middle lane if there were left lane users.

The IAM teaches you to indicate the least amount possible unless required.

britishtrident

posted on 15/3/13 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Always be 100% sure indicate where there is a possibility of somebody appearing from a blind spot.

In Portugal in for a couple of hundred metres in the vicinity of a slip road they have solid white lines between the lanes on 1 and 2 lane dual carriageways to stop drivers moving over into the path of a vehicle in the outside lane.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 15/3/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec

Pet hates at the moment.

This is a massive problem and one that SWMBO and I suffer from as parents. Whilst many families do indeed live within walking distance of the school (1/2 mile for us) the fact is most parents have to drop kids off as school on their way to and from work.

We would love to walk the kids to and from school and I make a point of it on Fridays as it fits with my schedule. Monday to Thursday we have no option but to drive them to and from school

Parking at the school is a PITA. A minority of parents are so bad at parking that the local PCSO now patrols the area advising people on their shortcomings. Amusingly enough it's the ones in the biggest, poshest cars that park the worst and get the most flak

(not taking offence at your comment BTW, just making a general point about the way people's lives work)

whitestu

posted on 15/3/13 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by zetec

Pet hates at the moment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a massive problem and one that SWMBO and I suffer from as parents. Whilst many families do indeed live within walking distance of the school (1/2 mile for us) the fact is most parents have to drop kids off as school on their way to and from work.

We would love to walk the kids to and from school and I make a point of it on Fridays as it fits with my schedule. Monday to Thursday we have no option but to drive them to and from school

Parking at the school is a PITA. A minority of parents are so bad at parking that the local PCSO now patrols the area advising people on their shortcomings. Amusingly enough it's the ones in the biggest, poshest cars that park the worst and get the most flak

(not taking offence at your comment BTW, just making a general point about the way people's lives work)

As the local scholos are full we've got two kids in one school and one in another so no way of walking them all to school without one or the other two being late.

spiderman

posted on 15/3/13 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you live within 1/2 a mile of the school can kids not walk themselves to school? I did from the age of 6. I know the roads are busier nowadays but that's because 1/2 the cars on the roads at 8-9 o'clock are kids being driven to school.

Spider

maccmike

posted on 15/3/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Theres a private school around the corner from me, if the kids walked how would the parents show off their Maserati's and Aston's etc?
nick205

posted on 15/3/13 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
If you live within 1/2 a mile of the school can kids not walk themselves to school? I did from the age of 6. I know the roads are busier nowadays but that's because 1/2 the cars on the roads at 8-9 o'clock are kids being driven to school.

In our case, kids are 7, 5 and 5 (twins) and the route to school involves crossing two busy main roads with no crossings. One road in particular is very busy in the morning and there's no way I'd expect them to cross it safely on their own.

The "half the cars on the road are going to school" issue IMHO relates straight back to my comment on people having to drop their kids at school on the way to work.

I'm in full agreement, kids should walk or be walked to school....the reality is somewhat different though. As with most things, a bit of lateral thinking could help - I'd be happy to re-arrange my work schedule to run a walking bus one morning a week. Getting enough parents together and coordinated to do this again is somewhat different!

whitestu

posted on 15/3/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you live within 1/2 a mile of the school can kids not walk themselves to school? I did from the age of 6. I know the roads are busier nowadays but that's because 1/2 the cars on the roads at 8-9 o'clock are kids being driven to school

I think 6 is a bit young, but from 8 they will do. Youngest is only 5 though.

Ninehigh

posted on 15/3/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
The "half the cars on the road are going to school" issue IMHO relates straight back to my comment on people having to drop their kids at school on the way to work.

Ok some people HAVE to, but it looks like an awful lot of people don't.. Most places I've worked my travel time is cut by 40-60% during school holidays, now if those people are dropping their kids off at school on the way to work where are they now? Don't they work during term time?

I've also found that this reduction in traffic isn't limited to school dropping off time, during half term it's quieter ALL DAY

v8kid

posted on 16/3/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I am really getting pee'd off with the way solid white lines are ignored at slip roads and dual carriage way merges.
My other pet hate is the way it seems almost the done thing to ignore No U Turn signs.

The worst example of selfness I have seen is the section of the A77 between the B764 road end an Fennick which is by-passed by the M77, here the once 4 lane road is reduced to 2 lane black top with the other half turned into a full width dedicate cycle cycle lane. It is very common to encounter cyclist riding 2 or 3 abreast on the main carriage way ignoring the well maintained cycle lane, these cyclist mainly come from the Strathclyde Police training college who use cycling as part of their fitness program --- do as I say not as I do !

+1

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.