Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Camera?
coozer

posted on 15/4/13 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Which Camera?

Looking at getting a new point and shoot compact...

Been very happy with my Lumix TZ5 until wor lass dropped it and knackered the lens..

Had that one a while now anyway so time for a new one...

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?????

Ta,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tegwin

posted on 15/4/13 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think you need to give us a bit more detail... what sort of things will you be photographing.... what sort of environments do you visit etc?

I have a Panasonic FT4 waterproof camera and the photos it takes are pretty good. It lives in my rucksack and gets soaked and bashed against stuff on a fairly regular basis..... If I had a "normal" camera it would stay at home for fear of wrecking it..

If you don't need the waterproof stuff the latest panasonic point and shoots with compound lenses are pretty impressive

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ReMan

posted on 15/4/13 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Look at the Canon range

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

coozer

posted on 15/4/13 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Lives in my pocket, doesnt get abused (apart when the wife has it in her clumsy hands) and takes these sort of pics, but in better detail..

Lack of light on this one...

Just want something up to the latest tech in the £200~£250 range..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

twybrow

posted on 15/4/13 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for te Canon range. If you can streth to the 'G-series' - you wont be disappointed. All the features of a SLR, wrapped up in a point and shoot case.
nick205

posted on 16/4/13 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
What a brilliant and diverse set of snaps B-)B-)

Macbeast

posted on 16/4/13 at 04:53 AM Reply With Quote
Could you re-shoot the third one but with better light ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

snapper

posted on 16/4/13 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
First decide on a price range your happy with, this will narrow the choice.
If your prone to dropping cameras buy one with a neck or wrist strap and one that will take a filter
Second but a UV filter and fit it.

I have a D3 for work and the one lens I hate to use is the 14mm it has a huge domed front element, the only lens I can't fit a UV to
Many of my lenses have taken big hits in the course of my work and a £20 UV is cheaper than a. Expensive lens

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

balidey

posted on 16/4/13 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Price range is needed really.
But my wife recently treated herself to a new Nikon (I think it was the...) S9400. Nice little bit of kit, was just under £200. When you get the settings right you can use it as a simple point and shoot and gives really clear pictures. A world apart from our old 5 year old Sony point and shoot.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

dhutch

posted on 16/4/13 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Look at the Canon range

Theres not a lot on there at the moment, but my last few compacts, and my printer, have all come a referbished stock from Canons ebay outlet which as worked well for me so far, including getting a replacment head for the printer when that blocked after sitting idle for a few months.

Daniel

hughpinder

posted on 16/4/13 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I got a canon G12 when it was the 'latest' model. You can get one now for £250 new and you will only get a better picture by going for a full SLR and using a tripod (and not with the base cheap zoom on the SLR either). Don't worry that it hasn't got the highest resolution you will ever see, unless you want to print bigger than A3. You should think about zoom rage though as the G12 doesnt have the longest zoom (great wideangle for landscape though).
Regards
Hugh

MikeRJ

posted on 16/4/13 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
The G12 is a superb camera, but one of Coozers requirements is "Lives in my pocket" and the G12 is a fairly bulky lump. You'd need a decent sized pocket to get it in (i.e. you'd get it in a coat pocket, but probably not trouser pocket).

I have a Canon SX220HS which I can certainly recommend, picture and video quality are both very good and it has a very useful optical zoom range. The SX260 is out now for around £190 and gets good reviews. They are a nice size too, not so small that it's hard to use with normal sized hands, but slim and small enough to fit comfortably into a pocket.

[Edited on 16/4/13 by MikeRJ]

David Jenkins

posted on 16/4/13 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Any reason not to have another Panasonic Lumix? I have had a TZ10 for couple of years now, and I'm very pleased with its performance. It's easy to use, and it gives me decent photos of the 'holiday and family' variety. I'm not sure what the latest version is called.

There are some features it doesn't have that I would like - optical viewfinder for sunny days, a flash shoe and a remote shutter of some sort - but you don't often see those on any pocket camera these days (unless you spend a lot of money).

Ignoring those, I have no complaints with mine.

coozer

posted on 16/4/13 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, all 3 pics where taken with my TZ5 and I quite like the reviews of the latest TZ30.

Was just poking to see if there was anything else to look at.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bi22le

posted on 16/4/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
i have a tz 10 and love it. its been around the world with me and the optical zoom is top draw.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

geoff shep

posted on 16/4/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Had a Lumix TZ which was great but eventually broke. Recently got a Canon SX260 which I am even more impressed with - 20x optical zoom and GPS. There is a non-GPS version, the SX240 which is otherwise the same and about £35 cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Powershot-SX260-Digital-Camera/dp/B0074K1JRW

brookie

posted on 19/4/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Thanks, all 3 pics where taken with my TZ5 and I quite like the reviews of the latest TZ30.

Was just poking to see if there was anything else to look at.

hi there buddy am also in the same boat as u,but not got as much money as u so am going for the tz27 at only £160 it will just do me fine ,but if I had your money it would be the tz30 or stretch little bit more for,the all new 2013 tz40 been to currys and all 3 do look very nice

amalyos

posted on 19/4/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the TZ30, fantastic camera, really happy. I took it to Thailand at the beginning of the year and took some great photo's, until I tried using an underwater camera bag....it got a bit wet

Claimed it on my house insurance and got another one, still cost me £100 excess.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

Krismc

posted on 19/4/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a cannon power shot cost about £150 and its great, also a cannon 550dlsr both superb pics.

Kris

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.