Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Big decision - elite diff ratio
Thetom

posted on 6/12/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Big decision - elite diff ratio

im building a spire gtr with an 09 fireblade engine. After talking to spire, ive always planned on putting an elite reversing diff in it. The time has come to order it...and i need to pick a ratio; advice please! ! At present I do not have any wheels for it. I am not building it as a race car, more of a road toy with occasional track days.

Im thinking ill prob use something around a 15-195 wheel, and playing around with the calcs, looks like my ratio of choice would be around 3.2-3.3 ish. giving a top speed around 140. Its a lot of money to spend so i want to get it right (although I guess I can always buy other drop gears if i want to change it later).

Does that sound about right to you guys?

hkp57

posted on 6/12/13 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Think a 3.2 may be a bit tall for a blade engine, great for cruising but will take the fun away on acceleration.

Buddy of mine runs a blade motor in his live axle westy with a 3.54 Diff and its a good balance for road and track use. Another buddy uses a 3.62 in his blade engined Indy and is a wicked track toy tho a little rev happy in road use but very usable.

In my Busa I am putting a 3.38 due to the extra torque, end of the day its what type of road use you have planned, touring versus local back road hooligan.

ReMan

posted on 6/12/13 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure how the 09 gearing is compoared with the older 'blades

My 95 one was on 3.62, but have recently dropped to 3.38
I like them both, in their own right but a 3.5 would be perfect

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Thetom

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Not sure how the 09 gearing is compoared with the older 'blades

My 95 one was on 3.62, but have recently dropped to 3.38
I like them both, in their own right but a 3.5 would be perfect

The experts seem to agree!! Just spoke to spire, his advice was to go to 3.565 as the best all rounder for good acceleration and a 125mph ish top speed...

adithorp

posted on 6/12/13 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Keep in mind the 2 comments above relate to 7's where the poor aero limits the top speed anyway. The Spire aero will easily take it past 125 with that engine and the right gearing. The down side is a high first gear so setting off is trickier and all the gears are a bit longer and I doubt you'd max it out on track.

I've a 3.21 in my R1 Fury and that gears it to 149mph and on the limiter in first hits 72mph. Around 3.4-3.5 would be nice on track but the current gearing is fine on the road and really helps on a long run, where 70mph is 6500rpm so not reving too hard.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

daniel mason

posted on 6/12/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
do the elite diffs not have drop in ratios so you can alter to suit?

Duncan36

posted on 6/12/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I had this exact setup in my GTR, I've got all the ratios on a spreadsheet and graphs from Elite I can email you if you'd like. Mine was for the track rather than the road and was geared for 130mph.

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

Thetom

posted on 9/12/13 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
thanks; elite have done me graphs and sent them through anyway so ive got them already!

Daniel, yes they do...but you gotta pay for em so itd be nice to get it right of the bat! Saying that they arent that expensive so its not the end of the world, but good to know others have gone similar and it works well.

Duncan36

posted on 9/12/13 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
It may not matter much for the road, but you do lose more power putting it through a prop and diff than if you were go use a chain diff setup. I've just sold my car and the new one will have a radical/quaife reversing chain diff setup.

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.