Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: i need a small radiator. But what?!
JoelP

posted on 17/8/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
i need a small radiator. But what?!

Hi all.

My current radiator, of origin unknown, is a little too large. It has to be seriously leant back in the nose, and i think this is affecting the air flow through it. It is 500mm wide and 470mm tall. I would rather something more like 400mm tall, and then i can stand it up, and stick a big fan on it easier.

Im not too bothered about price, im just sick of the car running hot.

So does anyone have any suggestions?! Much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

wicket

posted on 17/8/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Mercedes 190 rad, 292mm wide x 320mm high (core area), triple row, copper/brass construction with plastic tanks top and bottom. Listed in local rad. dealer book for up to 2.5 litre cars. In and out pipes are on the side but the overall rad is small enough for that not to be a problem.

Few pics in my archive.

JoelP

posted on 17/8/05 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
thats small! off to ebay, but do you happen to know a code to get it new?! Cheers.

ned

posted on 17/8/05 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
polo rad, the ally cored one is good. from an early/80's polo iirc. fits inside my standard nosecone and is meant to be able to cool a 200+bhp xe without problems...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 17/8/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
any idea of size ned? as it happens, the other car in the garage has a c1988 polo rad, would this be the same? wouldnt like to break one locost to fix another! I noticed it looked more suitable (i was puzzled why mine fitted so easily, didnt know if the nose was larger or further forward (bigger car)).

Might just dig out another polo rad then one on ebay as it happens!

[Edited on 17/8/05 by JoelP]

ned

posted on 17/8/05 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
don't know sizes mself without measuring, but think surrey dave posted dimensions and a pic a while back..

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 18/8/05 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Nissan Micra rad and fan (K reg) fitted, it cools the 2.0L zetec without any problems.
SixedUp

posted on 18/8/05 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
any idea of size ned? as it happens, the other car in the garage has a c1988 polo rad, would this be the same? wouldnt like to break one locost to fix another! I noticed it looked more suitable (i was puzzled why mine fitted so easily, didnt know if the nose was larger or further forward (bigger car)).

Might just dig out another polo rad then one on ebay as it happens!

[Edited on 17/8/05 by JoelP]

330 mm high approximately
470 mm wide approximately

From a '83-'90 1050 / 1300cc Polo. Costs ~£50 new from German and Swedish, part number 17321B.

Just fitted one to my Tiger Super Six, and its very nice indeed. Its also reputed to be the same thing that Westfield sell for sbout £90 as their light ally racing radiator

If you prefer the Mercedes option then try part number M17301 or M17301A (which looks like the small one). Both are 72+vat though, so more expensive than the Polo.

Cheers
Richard

[Edited on 18/8/05 by SixedUp]

4bturbo

posted on 18/8/05 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
genuine 190 radiator's
2.5 16V - Chassis Designation
WDB 201035
part number is A2015006103
Retail is £220 + v.a.t

I can do them at £175 + v.a.t.

P.S. I'm parts manager for mercedes benz main dealer so if anyone wants parts

wicket

posted on 18/8/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
It was second hand and only done a few hundred miles but looked new, pressure tested & a coat of paint for £50 cash
JoelP

posted on 18/8/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
gadger on ebay tells me that the polo rad is 20"x15", which sounds suitable, and similar to the above dimensions. So im gonna grab that, as its cheap and local

Cheers for all the input guys!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.