Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: possibly insane rambling but hear me out
Messenjah

posted on 19/1/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
possibly insane rambling but hear me out

the 7 in its basic form has a high power to weight ratio and is "relatively" easy to manufacture

why not have longer travel suspension, 4wd with locking differentials, fit some big chunky tyres and a front mounted winch + bumper

with a rover V8 to compensate for the extra weight of the 4wd system and give some more tourque

would it not be a fairly ultimate off roader ??

JonBowden

posted on 19/1/06 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good.

Jon

oliwb

posted on 19/1/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a bobcat! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 19/1/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes... Look at Bowler Tomcats and the suchlike.

Already been done, and they even look like the cars they are copied from... The land ROVER!.

You could try it with say... a Sierra 4x4. But you wouldnt have a locking centre diff which is essential when you are in REAL mud / slippery conditions.

Normal car type 4x4's are great on Tarmac, but not so hot in real mud!.

Traction control and abs, would help, but you cant beat locked diffs and a V8

Mind you... sounds like a great project, and bound to be fun

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve_gus

posted on 19/1/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
sounds more like a development of the thing in ron champions other book.

if its your thing, sounds like an interesting car! 4wd isnt that easy to squeeze in tho...

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/1/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Messenjah
the 7 in its basic form has a high power to weight ratio and is "relatively" easy to manufacture

why not have longer travel suspension, 4wd with locking differentials, fit some big chunky tyres and a front mounted winch + bumper

with a rover V8 to compensate for the extra weight of the 4wd system and give some more tourque

would it not be a fairly ultimate off roader ??

There used to be a Dutton Phaeton S2 with a full underpinning from a Deranged Rover, it was used in muddy competitions and did really well

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

akumabito

posted on 19/1/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Suzuki Samurai running gear!

Light and reliable engine (ok, not too powerful but mehh), 5 speed gearbox, 2 speed transfer case, lockable center diff...

Plus Samurais with battered bodywork and rotting chassis are about as cheap as chips

I had been thinking along similar lines before, although I was thinking more of a sort of sandrail type vehicle, only with the engine up front.

That way you could probably use a book chassis modified for IRS and longer wishbones to allow for more suspension travel.

[Edited on 19/1/06 by akumabito]

locoboy

posted on 19/1/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
wouldnt the chassis need some serious beefing up to take the far larger torsional forces associated with the longer wishbones which would be needed to allow greater suspension travel?

Im not saying it couldnt be done just that it may not resemble a locost chassis once its completed

ATB
Locoboy

steve_gus

posted on 19/1/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
there are mods (relatively simple) than beef up the chassis - the aussies have to get more than twice the rigidity to pass. the auusie list on yahoo has details as does cymtrics posts on here

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

akumabito

posted on 19/1/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Extra triangulation should take care of most of the problems. You would probably have to find a different way to mount the shocks anyway because they would be much longer than on a regular locost.. plus it would probably be a good idea to use thicker tubes for the construction if you really want to use it offroad.
mark chandler

posted on 19/1/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
A bare range rover chassis, or better still two front halves welded together is not that heavy.

The real wieght on a Landrover is axles (especially the front), engine and gearbox.

I would not expect the car diffs to last long, the snatching when landing or braking hard is what does things in. You also need to consider trees, spin on a track and hit the tyre wall, spin in the woods and its all a bit harder ! Thats why the blue book has its own section for roll cages on off road cars

You could make a very fast 4wd locost, but go off road and I suspect it will start to fall apart.

Regards Mark

NB/ if you want some RR axles & a 4.6 V8 for a £1k mail me, that was my last hobby !

akumabito

posted on 19/1/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well, there's a lot of talk about Freelander diffs on the forum lately...
Messenjah

posted on 19/1/06 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
yeah one of the first posts said look at the bowler wildcat and tomcat and stuff theyre just a landrover really

i mean to have it still look like a 7 which in the end i guess would look more like a sand rail rather then a landrover

or possibly just front engined rear wheel drive with a locking diff in the rear axle and long travel suspension and big wheels and tyres

akumabito

posted on 20/1/06 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
...what's the wheelbase of a Locost? (McSorley 442) I'll make some sketches, see if I can get anywhere near Land Rover values for wheelbase and ground clearance while still making the vehicle look alright.

I'm pretty sure the bonnet would need to be *a lot* taller than on a regular seven though. It would have to accomodate the engine, but also the front driveshaft will run underneath the engine, right? (please do correct me if I'm wrong)

Donners90

posted on 20/1/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Does it have to be 4x4???

These guys manage with 2WD and looking similar to a 7 Rescued attachment DSCF0036.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCF0036.jpg

Alez

posted on 20/1/06 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote

timf

posted on 20/1/06 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 20/1/06 by timf]

indykid

posted on 20/1/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
...what's the wheelbase of a Locost? (McSorley 442) I'll make some sketches, see if I can get anywhere near Land Rover values for wheelbase and ground clearance while still making the vehicle look alright.

I'm pretty sure the bonnet would need to be *a lot* taller than on a regular seven though. It would have to accomodate the engine, but also the front driveshaft will run underneath the engine, right? (please do correct me if I'm wrong)

an indy is 93" approx. iirc. presumably, that'd make a +442 97"

if a 90 has an 89" wheelbase, you'd need to shorten the chassis, not extend it, unless you were going for the rangerover hybrid look.

tom

[Edited on 20/1/06 by indykid]

akumabito

posted on 20/1/06 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
an indy is 93" approx. iirc. presumably, that'd make a +442 97"

if a 90 has an 89" wheelbase, you'd need to shorten the chassis, not extend it, unless you were going for the rangerover hybrid look.

tom

[Edited on 20/1/06 by indykid]

Thanks

Not going for any particular look, except maybe for a Locost-gone-horribly-wrong look.

I would just take the Land Rover specs as a guideline because their wheelbase/ground clearance is a proven combination. A 97 inch wheelbase would be right in between a Defender 90 and a Range Rover. Should be perfect actually.

The Defender has about 215mm ground clearance under the diffs with standard suspension/wheels. Now that doesn't help much if you want to conjur up some vehicle with independent suspension all around..

I want to know the ground clearance under the chassis as a reference point.. I can't seem to ind it anywhere online. Guess I will jsut have to wait till I visit my parents again so I can measure their Defender.

akumabito

posted on 20/1/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just found this site:

http://www.rhino-offroad.com/index/vinfo/2.html

They're pretty expensive, but look like a lot of fun!

Macca

posted on 20/1/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Just to clear something up, the Land Rover 90 has a wheelbase of 92.9" and a Range Rover has 100"
Ta
Col

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.