Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brakes Sticking
irvined

posted on 13/7/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Brakes Sticking

Hello,

I had some wonky old calipers on, and it was evident they had seen better days, so I bought some reconditioned M16 calipers from rally design.

Sadly i had a bit of a problem on route to SVA. I was driving along minding my own business as you do, and then it started getting slower, and slower, down to the point where i was in first gear and the front brakes where smoking as I tried to find somewhere off the main road to stop.

Upon stopping the brakes where locked on. At first I thought the pedal had stuck, so i checked that, plenty of wiggle, car still not moving freely.

Prior to this, the brakes where working perfectly, both wheels had equal effort, and releasing the pedal released the wheels.

After about ten minutes i started wiggling the car back and forward, and then as if by magic, the brakes are no longer locked on. The front left appears to be more locked thean the front right, as it was hotter, and it was pulling slightly to the left.

Before and after the problem, the brakes function normally.

When i noticed the problem, it appeared as if the brakes where getting more stuck, wheras i had expected them to fade out eventually and become easier to drive. I don't recall pressing the brake pedal at all, let alone hard enough to cause that much braking force.

Any ideas? I'm at my tethers end

Cheers

David

http://irvined.blogspot.com

JAG

posted on 13/7/06 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
What type of braking m/cyl' do you use?

Two cylinders and a balance-bar or one tandem cyl'?

With or without a servo/booster?

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

irvined

posted on 13/7/06 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Two cylinders .75 and .6something, Luego bias bar without servo.

I should add, the previous SVA run used the old calipers, and did not give me this problem. (The effort was out by about 20% though.)

[Edited on 13/7/06 by irvined]

John Bonnett

posted on 13/7/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
If both calipers were afffected it is unlikely to be a caliper problem. Could it be that the master cylinder piston is not returning fully every time and the hydraulic pressure not releasing. Perhaps it is a question of adjusting the pushrod in the balance bar.

John

fesycresy

posted on 13/7/06 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Does the caliper line centrally with the disc ?

Check by removing the pads, bolt up the caliper and bolt up the disc.

If they are not central and the one pad is clamped then the expanded disc will cause binding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

keith2lp

posted on 13/7/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Brakes

I had a the same problem with mine. Check the bias bar is letting the m/c fully return as mine was not and every time you used the brakes the pressure built up until the brkes were on.

To rectify the problem I increased the gap between the pedal and the bias bar fitting.

Keith

muzchap

posted on 13/7/06 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Or - take the MasterCylinder apart and make the hole in the washer bigger - it's this the bar 'fouls' on apparently.

Gent from yukspeed pointed this out to me - so I've ordered a new MasterCylinder and going to give it a go

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

John Bonnett

posted on 13/7/06 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you look in the Rally Design catalogue, they show the pushrods should be parallel with each other. The bias being obtained by screwing each pushrod in more or less into the balance bar. If you use a dashboard adjuster, then the balance bar moves the pushrods at an angle to each other by screwing or unscrewing and I can see that if this happens at some point there will be an issue with the washer inside the master cylinder. If both pushrods are parallel then I think it points to the pressure not being relased becuause the front pushrod cannot retract sufficiently.

John

fully sideways

posted on 13/7/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with John, but just check that the front cylinder is not seized as one did it to me whilst driving in anger ! got better in the pits then !!!

Andrew

Is throttle wide open ?

britishtrident

posted on 13/7/06 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the lads have spotted it defo a master cylinder pushrod problem -- as already stated usually the mushroom end of one or both of the mastercylinder pushrods is fowling on the washer in the end of the cylinder -- really critical even loss 0.5 mm of movement can cause the hydraulic lock you describe.
zetec7

posted on 13/7/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Are the new calipers opposed-piston type, or "sliders" (where the caliper centres itself about the rotor by sliding back & forth on pins)? If they're sliders, you're likely to find that the slider pins are corroded/dry/over-greased, any of which will cause the slider to push over to one side. Thus, one of the brake puck pushes constantly on one side of the rotor, the rotor gets hot & expands, causing even more pressure, causing more heat, etc. This happened to me on a motorcycle at speedfinally it seized (front wheel, of course), instant lockup/crash. In my case, it was over-vigilance - I put too much brake grease on the end of the pin (which went in a closed hole), caused an airlock, etc....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fully sideways

posted on 15/7/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
if you have a pin or slider problem it will be identified imediately in the travel and exerted pressure needed to apply a brakign force ..

definatley sounds like a master cylinder problem

Is throttle wide open ?

MikeR

posted on 16/7/06 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
The new calipers should be the M16 cortina ones - twin cylinder not the slider ones.
irvined

posted on 16/7/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well, it definitely looks like a master cyl problem, it worked before i changed the calipers though, but as its been sitting for two months pretty exposed to the elements, i wouldnt be surprised if something in the master cyl got a bit sticky.

I'll whip it out and have a look next time i'm over. Contemplating hiring an other luton van and taking itin the back of that for the SVA, I know it will pass SVA, or at least i'm 99.99% confident this time around, at least after i can drive it, i'll be able to give it a proper drive to find out whats wrong. Talk about chicken and egg.

Cheers guys.

MikeR

posted on 16/7/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
you could always drop it off at mine

i'd fix it and get it through SVA then "look after" it for a while

aka the rest of the summer.

irvined

posted on 17/7/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ahah,

Sounds like a plan, tell you what, you go up north, fix the brakes for me, and i'll drive it down to yours via Carlisle SVA, then you can look after it for the afternoon whilst I register it

MikeR

posted on 17/7/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, i'm spotting a flaw in the plan here......

involves me doing all the work and getting none of the benefits.

oh, just realised, i'm busy :p

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.