Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: W7DE Axle Weights
nludkin

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
W7DE Axle Weights

I am just filling out my lovely SVA paperwork and wondered if anyone knows what the design weights are for the GTS W7DE? Shall I just guess at 550Kg / 500Kg? to save bothering Darren.
James

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I can tell... if you under-estimate you fail the test.

If you over-estimate then they correct the paperwork at the test.

One more bit of SVA nonsense!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

oliwb

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger Cat is 500 Kg rear and 450 Kg front. I don't think anyone can argue about it with you really as long as it seems realistic. Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nludkin

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
That was quick responses.. Cheers guys.. In that case I will stick with 550Kg / 500Kg as I have a chunky Ford DOHC lump in the front!! And the chassis is a little heavier than standard.
macnab

posted on 3/1/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
kind of still on topic.

When MOT testing my buggy. If I use the brakes on the rollers the front wheels just lock and skid. There's just not enough weight to slow down the rollers. It does this everytime it gets tested and the MOT guys now knows it's going to happen so lets it pass, though the first time he had to take the car out for a spin before he was happy. Is this a problem on the locost at the rear and is that why you are best to over estimate the axle weight??

It's been a concern since I fitted those zeppelin's to the back...

[Edited on 3/1/07 by macnab]

macnab

posted on 3/1/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
well I can certainly get it weighed, I think the quarry up the road would help there, I'm sure they'd like the novalty.

I was really wondering whether it was best to over estimate, say get the car tested with extra weight on the scales, then remove it for the test. Would that make it easier to pass?

macnab

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I noticed you mention that. I go past the testing station regularly and it's always very quiet, infact I can't ever recall seeing a car getting tested there. If I did I would probably watch it been done.

I did get the buggy weighed but only it's total weight (620kg), after this I think I will get both axle's done individually since the back weighs alot more than the front. That should then sort out the brake test.

Bob C

posted on 6/1/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mac,
I think you're worrying over nothing: the "design weigts" on the SVA test are there to say what the maximum axle weight could be, above which suspension components might be expected to fail. Therefore it is usual to put very high values in (around 450 or 500kg per axle) and as long as this weight is nOT exceeded when their brake machine weighs it for real, they are happy.
Don't put a proper weight in or you run the risk of a fat tester exceeding it on their machine - you'd really kick youself if you just failed on that!!!!
I repeat - the weights you put on the form are supposed to be an upper limit - so put a big number in!
Bob

craig1410

posted on 9/1/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just make up a corner weight gauge from a pair of old bathroom scales. Most scales will read up to 125Kg so if you use two of them side by side with a little "weigh bridge" between them, you should be able to weigh up to 250Kg for each corner.

I intend to do this and make up a little ladder frame out of 25mm square box section to bridge the gap between scales. Then just jack up the appropriate corner and set the wheel into the frame. To make it accurate you will need to jack each of the other corners up to the same height but that's easy enough with bits of wood. Then just jack up two wheels at a time and swap the weigh bridge with the neighbouring block of wood and weigh the next wheel etc etc.

Cheers,
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.