Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The red line?
Furious D

posted on 19/4/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
The red line?

Where should it be on a 2.0L Pinto with twin 45's, all standard.

Just curious really dont particularly want to blow it or cause major damage.

What do you take it up to?

Cheers
D

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/4/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
till it starts to rattle, never blown one up even when I've tried (stationary with foot to the floor and steam pouring out the rad ). On the standard valve springs they start to float and that prevents it killing itself. Even shredding the belt does nothing.

Only way I can think off is to dump it in second at like 100mph, that should do something...

[Edited on 19/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
keith2lp

posted on 19/4/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I take mine to 6500/6700 on weber 40's and a kent FR32. I think it would go to about 7000 but I am not to brave enough to try.

Keith

[Edited on 19/4/07 by keith2lp]

se7ensport

posted on 19/4/07 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Only a pinto owner asks red line questions

currently take mine to 6700, with new ecu that I can alter the limit I'll set shift light to 6750 and max at 7100. from reading around standard botom end will rev to 7000 all day long, occasional visits to 7250 won't kill it....

[Edited on 19/4/07 by se7ensport]

Furious D

posted on 19/4/07 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds pretty good then. Taken it to 6,000 on many occasion, doesn not really sound like it wants more but feels like it does.

Me think more this weekend then......
D

roadrunner

posted on 19/4/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
My old pinto had a cut off at 6200, and that was with fr32 cam, that was always enough, but my new one red lines at 12500 revs, OOOPPPS , not a pinto any more.

roadrunner

posted on 19/4/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
My old pinto had a cut off at 6200, and that was with fr32 cam, that was always enough, but my new one red lines at 12500 revs, OOOPPPS , not a pinto any more.

snapper

posted on 19/4/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Standard forged rods go to 6700, later cast rod 6900 basicaly the injection rod. Lighter pistons and pins 7200.
anything over this will drastically reduce the service life of the rod (500 miles) these are all continuous running at these revs. If you just hit the higher revs occationally you should be O.K. lighten the little end and use a lighter piston and pin then you can go to 7500.
Cosworth rods and V6 pistons are good for 7500, 8000 and have the correct deck height, Fiesta 1600 Diesel con rods and V6 pistons 7500 to 8000 but they are a bit to tall, you need to deck the pistons.
I also remember from someware that the piston ring lands on the standard pistons can collapse at high revs.
There is no easy route to high revs in the pinto, the crank is bulletproof but mind the flywheel, the rods are the week link. The easier option of cossy rods and V6 pistons still needs the pin retainer sorted and will rev but your valve train is now suffering....... and so it goes on.

Oh, if your pinto won't rev past 6200 then you have a rev limiting rotor arm in your dizzy.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

roadrunner

posted on 20/4/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Megajolt.

DarrenW

posted on 20/4/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the flip side to the discussion is estimating what revs your max power comes in at and then what you need to rev up to to keep the gear change on the power band. This level will probs be lower than th erev capability of the engine and allow you to keep it motoring and have a safe margin (all ref setting shift lights).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.