Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Racing seats that fit (Recaro SPG?)
Blackbird

posted on 1/9/07 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
Racing seats that fit (Recaro SPG?)

Hello folks!

I tried searching for the topic but didn't come up with the results I was hoping for.

The question I have is if anyone has ever installed a racing seat like the Recaro SPG in a locost.
I have checked for fitment and it seems that the width between the mounting surfaces on the sides of the seat should work just fine, however, I was unable to determine the overall width of the seat at the bottom part (shoulder wings shouldn't be a prob).

I currently have a nice set of Cobra racing seats in my race Miata, Evolution for the driver and Suzuka for the passenger, which unfortunately they are to wide for the locost, but I'd like to duplicate the set up in the locost that I'm gonna start working on very soon.

Thank you in advance,

Moti

ned

posted on 1/9/07 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
For race style seats most people fit lightweight grp shell seats. It is unwise to fit fabric seats like those you mention over here incase you get caught out in the rain.

Nearest to what you are after that I know fits should be the cobra roadster 7 or one of the intatrim range (eg odyssey or ranger).

Ned.

[Edited on 1/9/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nludkin

posted on 1/9/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
If you build a wide bodied locost. i.e. McSorley+4 or a GTS W7DE, then you should get about 50cm to play with either side and can get some racing seats in. However, the standard locost is way too small and as Ned says the Intratrim range or Cobra roadster 7 seats are your best bet.

I currently have 2 Cobra Imolas in W7DE and luckily haven't been caught out in the rain yet to see the error of my ways. People do comment on how comfy the seats are though

RazMan

posted on 1/9/07 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Apart from the weather issues, are you sure that a standard bucket seat won't place you too high in the car? You may find that you will need a double-height windscreen

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoop

posted on 1/9/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Lotus Elise/vx 220 seats just the wright width and get you right on the floor of the car. Just got to make new frames. If i did it you can
Blackbird

posted on 1/9/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not too worried about weather issues (read - not at all), I'm in the desert of southern California and the car is going to be parked in my garage and be used for racing only.

I would have built the car with offset transmission tunnel and put any racing seat I want for the driver (making it a single seater) but I want to teach my wife how to drive it too, so I'm trying to find a racing seat that works.
I tried some of the Kirkey and Ultrashield seat but I haven't done anything quite wrong enough to sustain that kind of punishment... my god, they are just awful.

Anyways, I'll be happy to get any further input.

TIA,

Moti

RK

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the heads up about the Kirkey. I liked the idea, because they are almost local to me, but they don't look the part, and if they aren't comfortable, there's no point. GRP in orange is what i'm looking for.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.