Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: AAAArrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhh :mad:
jollygreengiant

posted on 13/10/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
AAAArrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhh :mad:

Ok so I did leave the bleed hose loose. Found this out after I took the engine & gearbox out again and then split them to check the hose. So I then proceeded to refit gearbox having rechecked the clutch alignment with a spare input shaft that I have.
Gear box still would NOT go home. So after three attempts I thought ' there's something wrong here' and started rechecking EVERYTHING.

Seems like on monday I shall be having a little discussion with Burtons. I did try tonight but they are shut now. This direct replacement for the cable system 'that will need no modifying or machining' is wrong the spacer is approximately 14mm too thick. Hence when the gearbox was going in the release bearing support nose was contacting the clutch plate and stopping everything from going together.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

wilkingj

posted on 13/10/07 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, which type 9 box do you have?.
One has a longer shaft than the other. Hence you could have the kit for the wrong box.

The V6 engined box is slightly different to the straight 4 engined box. and I believe the difference is about 1/2" or could it be 14mm

Just a thought / 2d worth.
Or it could be nothing to do with that at all

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 13/10/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Just a thought, which type 9 box do you have?.
One has a longer shaft than the other. Hence you could have the kit for the wrong box.

The V6 engined box is slightly different to the straight 4 engined box. and I believe the difference is about 1/2" or could it be 14mm

Just a thought / 2d worth.
Or it could be nothing to do with that at all

Ah but at the time of ordering I did specifically say "2.0 pinto and matching gearbox straight from a 2.0efi Granada which is the SAME as a Sierra".

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

SixedUp

posted on 13/10/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Burton thoroughly screwed up an order of mine some time back. Fair enough, it does happen from time to time, even in the best of organisations. The proof is in how they deal with it ... and Burtons were excellent. Everything was sorted out, at no cost to me, with no question whatsoever, as fast as you could have expected. Will be interested to hear how you get on.
Cheers
Richard

rusty nuts

posted on 14/10/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
ISTR the difference in length between the 4cyl box and 6cyl is approx 19mm or 3/4"
jollygreengiant

posted on 15/10/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I rang burton Power today and spoke to Tony.

" I'm sorry sir but we know that there is no straight forward replacement on these and the guy who served you would have known bewtter than to tell you what you told me. From what you say you need these two (APC5 £17.50 & APC7D £19.99 from web site) and the best I can do for you sir is £31.87. "

I ask what about a refund on the wrong one.

"Yes we can do that just send it back to us."

So If they could send a prepaid envelope so that I could send it back.

"I'm sorry sir but we don't do prepaid envelopes."

'Thats just dandy I say. I've taken 2 days of of work for this and I still got the engine hoist on hire until this is rectified.'

"I'm sorry sir but I can't dispatch anything until this is paid for."

Ok let me have a think for a couple of days until I get the pennies together.

Call ends.

Suffice to say I'm not a particularly happy bunny.

richard thomas

posted on 15/10/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Clive, if it's any consolation there were a number of occurences similar to this during my build - I think it's just a natural phenomenon that occurs in our chosen pastime......You'll probably look back when it's finished and have a chuckle at obstacles overcome

Easy for me to say, I know - i've finished mine and spend my time chuckling over obstacles overcome

John Bonnett

posted on 18/10/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
jollygreengiant, my heart goes out to you. You think the job is done, you've put the tools away and washed your hands and then you realise the whole lot has got to come out again and you think oh no or words to that effect!! I had a similar problem when I changed to the lightened flywheel and AP twin plate clutch. Despite many phone calls to Burtons, they were unable to supply the correct thickness release bearing and I had to get a spacer machined. It does seem that when a job starts to go wrong it goes wrong all the way down the line.

I do hope you get it sorted and back on the road.

atb

John

saigonij

posted on 18/10/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
i hate burton power. I ordered a kenlow fan switch from them once and after a week it still had not arrived, so i called them and the guy said he would send out another one as it must have bene lost in the post - they definitly sent it out.

funny thing is that the "replacement" one had the credit card reciept from the week before, so they blatently lied to me.

i dont mind problems as long as people are honest - when they lie it shows great disrespect.

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/10/07 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
Bit the bullet & paid for 'right ' size spacers on Wednesday 10:30am.
Received spacers Thursday 12:00.
Thursday 13:30 fitted spacers to unit.
Thursday night fitted unit to gearbox, fitted bell housing, Fitted hoses (AND tightened them )
5 minutes later the gearbox slid gently onto engine and was bolted up.

Just need to check clearance between release bearing and clutch cover.

rusty nuts

posted on 19/10/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Are you SURE you tightened the hoses?
jollygreengiant

posted on 19/10/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Are you SURE you tightened the hoses?

YEP. Sure.

NeilP

posted on 19/10/07 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Another milestone, Clive.

Be on your (highly illegal therefore only thought about) test drive soon!...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.