Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: colour change
kastrato

posted on 17/3/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
colour change

I am thinking to change the car's colour. I bought it second hand and it is not the colour I wanted. It is red and I want it to be suzuki rizzla blue. How difficult is to change the colour when you have not previous experience of something similar?
I have only sprey the front wings from red to black but I was not very happy with the result it was not sunny at all and after a month or so stonechips start appeard and remove the black and the red (the colour of the car) was startingto be visible.
I know, I know it was a disaster which I fix it by replacing the wings wit carbon fibre to forget the whole issue I created.
I can afford to do this with all the bodywork though that is why I am asking your help.
Please tell me first what sort of equipment I will need and secondly tell me step by step what I need to do to trasform my car from red to blue.
If somebody give a rough estimate on the cost of a transformation of that kind.
Thanks in advance

MK INDY fireblade

kastrato

posted on 17/3/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
If somebody have done it already I would find some pictures really helpfull.

MK INDY fireblade

Mark G

posted on 17/3/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know how you'd go about changing the colour of the panels, The colour in my panels seems to be in the fibre glass panels.

I'd guess that the best way to do it would be to sell your panels to someone thats building an indy and just buy a new panel set.

Anyway, to give you an idea of what it would look like I just did a quick mock up for you in photoshop.

(I'm assuming it's your car in your gallery?)

Before

And After

Hope you like.

swanny

posted on 17/3/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
what about the paint system that deauville sell? can be done with a b&q roller, costs 200 quid, and apparently looks really good. they had a car on the stand at one of the shows, that had been done with it that looked good and the system got lots of sales.
caber

posted on 17/3/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
go to somewhere that does taxi advertising and get them to cover your car in vinyl of the appropriate colour should cost about the same or less than a dodgy respray

Caber

jacko

posted on 17/3/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I like it in RED
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kastrato

posted on 18/3/08 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the photoshop and all the other replyes.
much appreciated.
I can't sell to anybody my panels or either buy new ones because my car is in Greece.
The sticker idea is really good I know places that cover the car with zelatine for the stonechips I am sure they can do colours too.
why I didn't thought of that I wonder....
I gues red is ok but that rizzla blue is very tempting...

MK INDY fireblade

DarrenW

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
There was a guy on WSCC (JeffC) who did an excellent write up on colour changing a Westfield. Maybe someone who goes on that site could post a link (AndyD might do that if you U2U him). He even quoted paint costs and spray booth hire etc. He is a good painter himself though so the finish was probs better than most would achieve.

DarrenW

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Also try searching for Mark Allansons posts - he has painted his car a couple of times.

And for vinyl wrapping take a look at oioi's car - its a very aquatic Westfield.

02GF74

posted on 18/3/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
i was gonna change collur of mine (red too ) but decided agaisnt it, for the time being, since it would need a lot of masking and time to do a decnet job.

you can do a good job with spray cans but takes a lot of time, the time being prepration and then smoothing off.

people have used rollers to apply paint - not done that myself but ultimately depends on time and money.

kastrato

posted on 18/3/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like I am going to destroy my paintwork because I dont think I can do it propertly.
It will remain red then for now. Thanks for all the replyes

MK INDY fireblade

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.