Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW stop-start tehnology
ash_hammond

posted on 9/6/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
BMW stop-start tehnology

Has anyone drove the newer BMW 1 and 3 Series with the "stop-start" technology. When the car is stood in traffic the engine shuts down and then fires up again when the clutch is depressed to select 1st gear.

Is it any good?

Does it saves a reasonanle amount of fuel?

I have just been told my new company car has this feature - unsure if i am going to get on with it or not

- Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

mookaloid

posted on 9/6/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine has it and he asked BMW to switch it off - which they couldn't do.

it annoys him.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

smart51

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
a 1.8 litre 4 stroke engine uses about 0.3 litres of petrol per hour at idle.

The official fuel consumption tests have periods of idle in them, maybe 30 or 40 seconds at a time. It makes their MPG figures a bit better if they turn the engine off rather than let it idle. And yours too if you drive a lot in busy city traffic.

The systems that start the engine when the clutch is pressed are the best ones. By the time you've put the stick in 1st, the engine is running and you drive away as normal. I don't wee why all cars aren't fitted with such a system.

I also don't see why there shouldn't be a button to turn it off, for when the car is hard to start, or the battery is flat.

[Edited on 9-6-2008 by smart51]

coozer

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ha ha, just wait till its 10 years old and takes more to start, you'll be lurching along on the starter LOL!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DarrenW

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I hired a new 1 series last week with it. Found it OK. Cant comment on fuel saving ability.

Davey D

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
do you have to take the car out of gear, and release the clutch for it to work, and the engine turn off? if so cant you just leave it in gear, and keep your clutch held in to stop the engine cutting out?

DarrenW

posted on 9/6/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I found pressing the clutch retarted it and it stayed started hilst stationary.

Wouldnt put me off buying a new BMW.

Richard Quinn

posted on 9/6/08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Me neither! Just ordered a 123D M Sport for work.
hughpinder

posted on 9/6/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
We have it on ours. I dont especially like it, and I'm sure it doesnt save much fuel, but you get used to it quite quickly - but probably helped the car stay in a lower tax band than it would otherwise have been in.
I thought there was a button on the dash (like an "A" with a circular arrow round it) that turned it off?
Regards
hugh

UncleFista

posted on 9/6/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
As available on FIAT "Ritmo" (Strada) in the 70's

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

JoelP

posted on 9/6/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
i doubt the fuel saving will offset the cost of a new starter every 40000 miles!

Its definately a gimmick IMHO.

Must point out to smart51, i cant see how periods at idle improve your MPG, since you are using gallons and getting no miles at all.

rpm

posted on 9/6/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
it's a major PITA my wifes mini has got it and i always switch it off when i drive the car otherwise you get to a junction or traffic lights flick the car into neutral and it cuts out just as the lights go green or the traffic clears, it starts instantly on pressing the clutch but it is really annoying.
Richard Quinn

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
As I said earlier, I've gone for the 123D M Sport. I don't care whether it's a gimick or not but when it means that you don't get crippled (relatively speaking!!) on tax (CO2 emmissions are 138g/km) on something with 204 bhp and that will get to 62 mph in 7 seconds with an alleged combined fuel consumption figure of 54.3 mpg I'm willing to put up with it.
Donners90

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
You may also be able to get round it by having the air con on. Wastes even more fuel, but should keep the engine running....unless it hasn't got A/C or has an electric A/C pump!
smart51

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Must point out to smart51, i cant see how periods at idle improve your MPG, since you are using gallons and getting no miles at all.

You seem to have missed the point. Periods at idle spoil your MPG. As you say, you burn fuel and do no miles. The BMW switches the engine off instead of idling and that is what saves the fuel.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.