Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking about building a Panther
gazzarose

posted on 15/8/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about building a Panther

Hi guys,

Im a newbie to the kit car world, but been thinking about building one for years but only now really in the financial situation to start thinking properly.

Is the panther as good as it looks. I'm basicacally looking to build one for as little as possible. I was thinking use everything from sierra in standard, then anything that needs improving can be projects for future winters. Realisticly, how little money could I build one for. Whats the best way to go about it? I was gonna buy a sierra (does it matter which one, my only preference is a 2.0 so I dont have to upgrade the engine for a while).

Also, is it just a case of bolting it together, or is a case that the chassis needs to be fiddle with to get things to fit properly. I've read Dave's build diary and he didnt seem to have any major issues.

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.

Gazza

nib1980

posted on 15/8/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search on here for GTS and have a think, there are many companies out there who do very similar pakages
mookaloid

posted on 15/8/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that for a first time build it would be a very good idea to pick a manufacturer which is close to where you live so that it is easy to visit if you have any questions/problems.

As above do a search on here to get views on the different manufacturers to see which ones are cheapest/easiest to build.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

StevieB

posted on 15/8/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Don't rule out MK, Mac#1, MNR, Airies, striker.*

They're all much of a muchness in their most basic guise (MNR and Striker stand a little bit apart in their design and dynamics) and are fairly closely priced.

I'm don't know why, but the letters GTS seem to provoke some emotions on here

*Other manufacturers are available

[Edited on 15/8/08 by StevieB]

flak monkey

posted on 15/8/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Kit is excellent quality, no problems bolting together. No work required to chassis etc and I have never heard any complaints about quality.

Undeniably, some people seem to have issues with supply of parts, this however tends to be odd single items rather than whole kits. And from personal experience I didnt have any problems, and know of many others who had similar positive experiences.

If you are local to GTS, get in touch with them and call in, they are a friendly bunch

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

thunderace

posted on 15/8/08 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
i avoid them just read the posts about them riping people off on here ,i got riped of from them last year.
D Beddows

posted on 15/8/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
The quality of the parts is actually a lot better than some of the favoured suppliers on here BUT unless you live within easy driving distance of wherever GTS live at the moment forget it because Darren is possibly THE worst person imaginable to run a customer focused company....... it's a shame really because he should have a nice little business rather than hiding out in 'Ullapool' and selling parts on ebay from his 'unfinished build'

[Edited on 15/8/08 by D Beddows]

big_wasa

posted on 16/8/08 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
^^

I bought some of that it was a very good item and a very good fit. Iordered in three lotts and each was delivered within 10 days.

Thing is, his ebay acount was cancelled and his own website is down

I do like the shape and fit of the panther

locoboy

posted on 16/8/08 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Another semi satisfied ex panther builder and ownere here.

I had one hickup with supply and that was it. The quality of the parts if top notch better then the likes of MK.

I had more supply issues with MK than i ever did with GTS!

Here is a finished one for you to see for yourself.

rear 3 qtr low
rear 3 qtr low

[Edited on 16/8/08 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

plantman

posted on 16/8/08 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't buy anything at all from GTS, I have tried to buy 4 items from Darren.

1. de-dion axle 4wks to arrive after several( i really mean 20-30) phone calls

2. suspension brackets ages to arrive again and there was 1 missing when i phoned up( you will have to phone a zillion times to make contact with anybody) it was so what never offered to send another one.

3. bottom front wishbones can't remember exactly but somewhere in the order of 10wks another zillion phone calls either no one never answers, lots of that- or yeah will sort it out but nothing happens

you would have thought i would have learnt my lesson by now but ........

4. Ordered steering rack extensions NEVER arrived Did loads of phone calls just give up in the end and ordered them from luego turn up a couple of days later.

Gts tuning/ Darren drove me to despair with just the few items i tried to order. I would strongly suggest to use someone else LUEGO were very good with the few items I have ordered and MK also very efficient.
If i was in position to start agian I would consider both these companies.

best of luck with your build

DRC INDY 7

posted on 16/8/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Mk or mac1 is the way to go

just getting my flak jacket

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Triton

posted on 16/8/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget there is the Haynes Roadster....and did I mention Triton do a really nice fibreglass body set for it even the odd seat....

Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazzarose

posted on 16/8/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys,

I does seem like a good quality kit, and it looks good and only uses one doner. But I am a bit concerened about the suplly issues, cos I probably won't be able to order the whole kit in one go, so will have to get it in dribs and drabs.

The other problem is I'm down in south wales, and all the manufactures seem to be somewhere in the midlands, so which ever I choose it'l be a long drive to get there. Are there any down my way?

Thanks again

Gazza

Stott

posted on 16/8/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hello to you from S Wales!

RAW are close(ish) being in Hereford, a friend has a 20v silvertop 4AGE striker and it's ace

Depends what you want to spend though.

http://www.rawengineering.co.uk/location.html

gazzarose

posted on 16/8/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
The raws are a bit pricey for me at the moment. Realistically, whats the lowest I could hope to build a car for, bearing in mind that everything will have to be bought in as I cant weld. I can do wiring no problem so could chop up a sierra loom, and use as much as I can from a single sierra. Is 3.5k doable? I dont mid if i end up having to add/upgrade things later on an. Just want a good base for a fun car. Doesnt have to be the fastest and I don't intend racing, just want something thats fun to drive with out costing a fortune (my tintop Lexus IS is fun to drive and is resonably quick, but I seem to be just poaring money at it for fuel, tax, tyres, servicing and so on).So i'd rather keep it for best and use a locost as much as possible (although that will probably mean weather gear,bloody british weather,lol).

Gazza

flak monkey

posted on 16/8/08 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Robinhood zero kit?

Not a bad start, single donor, chassis could do with a bit of work if you are really picky, but nothing too much required (about a day to add some more triangulation in places thats all). The quality is nowhere near that of the GTS, but then you get what you pay for and if you are willing to invest higher levels of time you can get them looking good.

My girlfriend will soon be building a zero, with some help from me modifying the chassis.

Personally if I were to build another I would build an MNR, nothing to do with GTS problems, but purely down to I like the look of the new bodywork

David

Sera

COREdevelopments

posted on 16/8/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
where bouts are you in south wales? i would say go for something like mac1 or mk, i started with a luego chassis and used parts from different makes including GTS! for a cheap and quickish car use a 4age, bullet proof and sound great!!

hth

Rob

gazzarose

posted on 16/8/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
My long term plan is to start with a pinto, then eventually drop in a zetec, so a chassis that accepts both would be the best. I think I'l just have to keep looking and thinking. I'l see how finances are as we get closer to the winter.

Thanks again for the replies

Gazza

Jackman

posted on 18/8/08 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
GTS PANTHER

You have u2u
bob

posted on 18/8/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have changed from a pinto to zetec power, i would advise to start with the zetec if thats where you want end up.

Zetecs are as cheap to buy now as decent pintos were 8/10 years back,you can even get brand new crated 2 litre zetec engines for £750 or less if you look hard enough.

Re sale of pinto parts engines and exhaust systems wont bring back 1/3 of the original costs, plus the rewiring and plumbing costs.

I would definatly start with the engine that i wanted to use in the car.

gazzarose

posted on 18/8/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I know what u mean mate. My main problem is money. Also, I may be being a bit unfair to the pinto, cos the longer you research these things, the more you think you want loads of power, even tho theres guys with 1.1 powered cars. And to be honest, at the pace I do things, the zetec probablt wont be in the equation for a few years, and by then Il probably have to get some hydrogencowturdbioethonol powered hybrid drive the way the government is going.

I'd also like to say, this is the longest thread I've ever started on any forum, and its only my first one.

Thanks guys

Gazza

flak monkey

posted on 18/8/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
The pinto isnt such a bad choice. They are a LOT cheaper to tune than a zetec, and many times less complex in terms of electronics etc.

I dont understand why you would change from a pinto to a zetec. They arent *that* much lighter, just a bit more refined in their power delivery. Having said that when the pinto comes on cam at 3500rpm it all starts to get rather amusing!

Took my pinto to ~170bhp for very little money. Certainly less than similar power from a zetec would cost. Done 5k hard miles and not a single problem, to date.

If I was to fit a modern engine I would go for a Duratec if I had the money. More powerful and torquey than the zetec, and not much more cash now.

David

Sera

gazzarose

posted on 18/8/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think a duratec may be the way to go then. But to be honest I just want a good cheap fun car that I can say I built, with as little money and hassle as possible. Also, and I dont really know why, I'd rather a non Q car (id quite like to stick a personalised plate on it) so all the running gear from one doner car would make things a bit simpler. I'l see how finances go in the next 2 oe 3 months (my tin top needs a service this month, and last night to fill it up cost 68 quid which pi55es me off, so saving may be hard).

Thanks

Gazza

oudakontrol

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Dont do it mate, if you like your money give it to someone that would appreciate your business. Ten months and over 1000.00 big ones and I'm still waiting for the parts. I think someone did say wait up to 28 days ? could be months though !
DarrenW

posted on 1/9/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Panther is as good as it looks. Flaks car is a good advert for GTS.

REf pinto first, zetec later. I was going to do this. Would defo say build the engine you want from the start. It wont work out much different in total between zetec and pinto once everything is considered.

3.5k budget is a bit lean. Again i thought the same. Can be done but finished article will benefit from a bit more spends unless you find absolute bargains.

If i was building a Panther id probs be tempted to order everything in one go and pay on collection ensuring everything is there first before travelling.

My mac#1 was nice to build. I know 2 people doing MNR's that are also good.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.