Board logo

Removing paint overspray off powder coat?
Oliver Jetson - 24/1/11 at 08:45 PM

Can car paint that has ended up as overspray be removed from a powder coated item without destroying the powder coat?

Thanks

Steve Hignett - 24/1/11 at 08:51 PM

Not that I'm recommending you do this, but if it were mine, I would give it a very swift wipe over with a rag and a bit of acetone...

The acetone will soften the powdercoat if loeft on for any time, but like I said, it's what I'd do!

MakeEverything - 24/1/11 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Jetson
Can car paint that has ended up as overspray be removed from a powder coated item without destroying the powder coat?

Thanks

A green scourer, then t-cut the powdercoat afterwards,

blakep82 - 24/1/11 at 09:03 PM

depends how much 'overspray' there is. if its real overspray, ie a very thin dusting, bit of wet and dry paper, wet.

Oliver Jetson - 24/1/11 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Not that I'm recommending you do this, but if it were mine, I would give it a very swift wipe over with a rag and a bit of acetone...

The acetone will soften the powdercoat if loeft on for any time, but like I said, it's what I'd do!

Will it soften the dried paint faster than the powdercoat giving time to scrub the paint off?

gazzarose - 24/1/11 at 09:11 PM

What kind of car paint was it?if its was celulose from a rattle can then celulose thinners will remove it and it doesn't damage most plastics so should be fine on powdercoat.if its 2 pac then it won't work.

Gareth

Oliver Jetson - 24/1/11 at 09:12 PM

I just read a clay bar might work?

avagolen - 24/1/11 at 09:33 PM

I used T-cut and turtle wax polish - (plus a little elbow grease)

Nice smooth slippery finish.

Len.