Board logo

how to make a 4+2+2 chassis
ianmccabe3 - 23/5/05 at 09:29 PM

hi got rons book read it from front to rear covers, now want to start planing but not shore being a big chap if there is going to be room for me, im 6ft 3 size 12 feet is there room or should i build a 4+2+2 chassis ????????
if i go to the bigger chassis what sort of things change ie surspenion ect
also im thinking of fitting and seirra rear diff there are no drawing for the mounting ect
thanks for your help if you can point me in the right direction
ian

TTK77 - 24/5/05 at 09:42 AM

Here you can find drawings and some info about 4+4+2
http://mcsorley.net/locost/drawings.htm

big_wasa - 24/5/05 at 03:55 PM

Mixed opinions on this one m8..

Im the same height/feet as your self and are going to use the standard chassis but use floor mounted pedals and either fiberglass seats or pads ..

Sat in a standard chassis it is very snug

ianmccabe3 - 24/5/05 at 04:22 PM

so it may be a good idea for go for the larger chassis
thanks
ian

dblissett - 24/5/05 at 04:55 PM

i have gone 442 i like the fact there is more room in it pluss standard bucket seats fit (cheaper) i went irs for my backend if i did it again i would get a didion back end from darren at gts tuning it would save you months of head scratching
also i dont have any holes in my bonnet for air filters and the like
good luck dave

ianmccabe3 - 24/5/05 at 05:14 PM

hi does anyone have any drawing or plans of the diffrent back axle set ups and which one would you go for
thanks
ian

Skyllz - 17/9/05 at 10:34 PM

I spent the afternoon with some wood and screws to make some mock-ups regarding size and fitment, I'm 6'4" and I cant see how I would fit in a book chassis, however I can definitly see me in a 442 chassis I'll have a few inches loose for a seat and pedal placement, not to mention i'll be able to bend my knees and get in and out properly

Sucks being tall.

Also, I wear US11 size shoes and i'll definitly have to get some good "racing shoes" t be able to drive this thing properly without braking/clutching and braking at the same time.

[Edited on 17/9/05 by Skyllz]

kango - 18/9/05 at 04:54 AM

I have built a book chassis and now that I am getting to the fitting of seat and pedals I have the same problem getting in and out and having the steering very high to miss my knees.
Next one will be a 442.
The problem is I compared the drawings and the +4 is clearly 4 inches wider in the nose, but the 442 is only one inch wide that standard.
Any explanation?

omega 24 v6 - 18/9/05 at 09:45 AM

I've gone 442 as well and if you look in the running gear section you'll see that I've just started and at the moment I am headscratching about the front suspension brackets as the tube arrangements run at different angles. I'm going to make new brackets to bring the geometry out to the std book dimensions and use my own made bones. I'm a fat lad and need the extra room and as said in an earlier post hopefully there will be a choice of more, and more reasonably priced seats.

Peteff - 18/9/05 at 10:04 AM

Instead of altering the front you could extend the engine bay side rails till they reach the width you want then shorten the parallell rails at the cockpit sides to compensate. It will give you the extra you need where the seats fit. You could use a standard nosecone but you would need to make a scuttle.

scotty g - 18/9/05 at 12:02 PM

Hi Ian, i'm building a +4 car and using the de-dion rear end from GTS. They also have all the grp bodywork for the larger dimensions.
Give Darren a call, he really knows his stuff. Cheers.

Volvorsport - 18/9/05 at 06:43 PM

this is what mine looks like , its 442 , but with a modified front .

Hugh Paterson - 18/9/05 at 10:21 PM

I like the pushrods on the front end any reason why you didnt put the coilovers vertical? Just curious
Shug

Volvorsport - 18/9/05 at 10:23 PM

Height !!

and i still get get very good wheel /damper rates even with that setup.

basically most of the wheel travel that you would need ends at the bump stop .

Hugh Paterson - 18/9/05 at 10:29 PM

Cheers, Im still toying between a top rocker or pushrods on the front, which is why I asked
Shug

marc n - 21/9/05 at 03:06 PM

quote:

this is what mine looks like , its 442 , but with a modified front .

looks familiar although with a falling rate by the look of things

Volvorsport - 21/9/05 at 06:10 PM

looks would be decieving then !!

its pretty much 1:1 .

and its pretty simple to change , you should know that!

marc n - 21/9/05 at 06:31 PM

was actually meaning the incline of your shock

Volvorsport - 21/9/05 at 06:39 PM

shock angle changes a nad , maybe a degree , the rocker actually moves the damper staright up and down , and if i need to fine tune it , ill make some new rockers , for now its miles better than having them stuck outboard !

Volvorsport - 21/9/05 at 06:40 PM

im more concerned nobody has commented on the choice of upright !!!

marc n - 22/9/05 at 07:30 AM

quote:

im more concerned nobody has commented on the choice of upright !!!

why what is it you cant see anything apart from the adapter pin in the picture ?

Volvorsport - 22/9/05 at 07:57 AM

its a cut down volvo strut !! , nothing unusual , i just thought the 'crowd' might have picked up on that , they normally do , like picking out that youve got outdated carpet or somert .

Anyway , need to contact that raceleda man to see if he can make some volvo stubs to alloy uprights .