Board logo

Klicktronic gear change and IVA !!!
Markyb13 - 28/2/13 at 07:39 PM

Hi guys
I read on a forum somewhere that someone had failed their IVA test because they were using a klicktronic electric gear change system with buttons, does anyone know if this would be true? if so why it would fail???
I've got my IVA in a few weeks and have this system fitted ! They guy said that he had to buy the electric paddles for his re test to pass at a cost of over £300 !
Just a bit worried now.

Thanks

Slimy38 - 28/2/13 at 07:55 PM

Only thing I can think of is external radius on the buttons? Paddle shifts would be behind the wheel and excluded.

daniel mason - 28/2/13 at 08:24 PM

i failed sva with this as the wire was more than 6" unclipped when coiled and when pulled tight wrapped around steering column

russbost - 28/2/13 at 09:31 PM

Depends on your tester & his interpretation of the manual. If I were you I would talk to Vosa & get their interprtation, they can't overule, but if you go armed with an email saying they feel it's fine (IF that's the case) then you are streets ahead of going unarmed!

Markyb13 - 28/2/13 at 10:01 PM

Thanks for your reply's, I think I'll do as you suggest and ring vosa and see what they say nothing to lose.

Daniel, did yours pass with the paddles fitted then? I'm not sure but it looks like wire to the paddles moves with the paddles that are attached to the steering wheel, do they not still twist round the steering colum when the wheel is turned on full lock ? IF I did manage to find the money for the paddles from somewhere which is very unlikely, I wouldn't want to fit them then still fail.

daniel mason - 28/2/13 at 10:05 PM

i had to make a plate with the up/down buttons on and fix it to dash so all wiring was behind dash pannel

snapper - 28/2/13 at 10:33 PM

So in essence button gear change is not the issue, why would it be? It's just a gear change mechanism.
The concerns seem to be radius and/or cable clipping.
If this is indeed the only issue then its not the gear change system thats in question.
I do agree with Russ, ask VOSA