Board logo

replacing mx5 headlight switch gear with individual dash switches HELP
ctwv50 - 25/3/15 at 10:40 AM

I've wired up my lights as this images demonstrates and have removed the dim/dip light relay and ballast resistor and wiring as shown.

I don't understand the diagram when it comes to the side/head/main switch. Can anyone help me understand it so I can then replace this item with idividual savage switch gear with apem switch blocks and 40Amp relays.

http://uk.farnell.com/apem/a0152b/contact-block-dpdt-tht/dp/1082354

Thanks

yngndrw - 25/3/15 at 01:25 PM

I've not driven an MX5 so I'm not exactly sure what the stalks are like, but I can go through the diagram and explain what it looks to be doing.

The headlight switch shown is made up of two parts:

1) The Off / Head / TNS switch which is a double-pole-triple-throw latching switch. It looks like TNS might be the side lights ?

2) The passing light switch which I would assume is a bit like a double-pole-triple-throw switch that is latching in one direction and momentary in the other direction. (For the flashing functionality) It looks like the left hand switch can be replaced with a separate single-pole-single-throw momentary switch for your headlight flash, and the right hand switch can be replaced with a single-pole-double-throw latching switch for your high/low beams.

ctwv50 - 25/3/15 at 10:12 PM

Thanks for the reply I'm going to have to put more thought into this than I imagined. Hmmm