Board logo

K Series flywheel
Hammerhead - 14/10/06 at 02:53 PM

Some of you know that i am having issues with my 1.8 (1996 spec) K series off a lotus elise. The 1.8 flywheel is too big for the caterham bellhousing I have.

It has been pointed out to me that I will also have issues with the timing marks on any replacement flywheel I try.

So...I wondered if it might be a workable idea to have my 1.8 flywheel machined down to the same radius as a 1.6 and use the ring gear off the 1.6. This way I will have the correct timing marks. As long as they do not fall within the area to be machined.

Any ideas??

GeoffT - 14/10/06 at 07:20 PM

Just to give you another option, the reluctor ring that contains the flywheel code CAN be removed from the flywheel - but it's not easy. I removed mine to change the code to a 36-1 pattern to suit megajolt, in my case this involved welding a couple of extra tabs to the reluctor ring. So it *may* be possible for you to change these rings over.

From memory the one on my 10" flywheel was held in with 4 tabs accessed from the back of the flywheel. I punched these through and levered the ring out. It looked pretty sorry for itself by now, but was made from a fairly soft material and straightened up easily. As mentioned, I then had to add a couple of extra tabs, and tap the ring back into the flywheel.

I did this to remove the need for a 36-1 wheel on the front pulley, but had the insurance that I could fit one if I totally fecked the ring up. Like I said, a possible option, but not one to be taken on lightly....

DIY Si - 14/10/06 at 08:07 PM

Could you not do whatever it is caterham do? Or buy a flywheel off them/an owner/FleaBay?

Steve Morten - 14/10/06 at 11:09 PM

You just need to get a flywheel of a 1.6 k series. That firts straight on I've just done it. Actually I might have a spare, I'll have a look.

Steve Morten - 14/10/06 at 11:16 PM

The timing marks are mostly the same. I think it depends on year. Have a look on the BBS MG site for 16v k series midget and B's;

http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs&access=41729141105034&mode=tlist&subject=76

There's loads of info on there.