Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help me choose the next fun car.....
FazerBob

posted on 30/4/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
You'll find the Elan very boring. It was always an Asian run-about with a Lotus badge. Very uninspiring compared to an Elise. Now there's a possibility for you. Series 1 Elise is getting affordable, and they're great fun.
I'm on my second Elise. Had the first one for 18 months, then sold it for the same price I paid. I've attended many shows with friends from the kit car club, and the Lotus always attracts as much, if not more, attention as the other cars.

[Edited on 30/4/13 by FazerBob]

Bob

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 30/4/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FazerBob
You'll find the Elan very boring. It was always an Asian run-about with a Lotus badge. Very uninspiring compared to an Elise. Now there's a possibility for you. Series 1 Elise is getting affordable, and they're great fun.
I'm on my second Elise. Had the first one for 18 months, then sold it for the same price I paid. I've attended many shows with friends from the kit car club, and the Lotus always attracts as much, if not more, attention as the other cars.

[Edited on 30/4/13 by FazerBob]

If you see an elise for 5k i'll have it!

morcus

posted on 30/4/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
You might be pushing it now for a good one, but a few years ago me and my brother looked into getting an XJS and in 2008 you could pick one up for £500 with tax and MOT, and you had a few to choose from at that prive point. Wonderful Straight 6 engines or the mighty V12 and such a cool car.

What about an American Sports Car? A couple of Grand will get you a Camaro or a Firebird, and a bit more will get you a 'vette. I don't know what sort of car you'd get and you'd be on the wrong side (Unless you want to go curb crawling).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Dualist

posted on 1/5/13 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
RX7 FD

Rotary build coming soon...

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I recently discovered that pigs can p i s s sideways when being transported

hughpinder

posted on 1/5/13 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
No Alfa Romeos's yet? - you could get a spider if you like convertables.
Regards
Hugh

40inches

posted on 1/5/13 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Put a V6 in the MX5?

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 1/5/13 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
That did cross my mind
FASTdan

posted on 1/5/13 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
944 turbo without a shadow of a doubt

Turbo lairyness, cool looks, awesome handling (as 928, same config), even four seats and a bloomin' big boot for those weekends away! I'd have one in a shot if I could bring myself to sell my XR2 (sad that isn't it, a rusty old ford getting in the way of porsche ownership).

Seen plenty go on ebay for less than your budget.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tegwin

posted on 1/5/13 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
944 turbo without a shadow of a doubt

Turbo lairyness, cool looks, awesome handling (as 928, same config), even four seats and a bloomin' big boot for those weekends away! I'd have one in a shot if I could bring myself to sell my XR2 (sad that isn't it, a rusty old ford getting in the way of porsche ownership).

Seen plenty go on ebay for less than your budget.

Was always put off old porsches because of the perceived cost of parts should it go wrong.... Anyone know if the parts are more expensive/harder to get than say an audi or VW?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

FASTdan

posted on 1/5/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've only had 924's and they were always very reasonable - as you say, just VW/Audi prices really. Of course there's going to be odd ball bits that are sky high prices but thats to be expected. Even then there's plenty being broken so most stuff can be sourced second hand. I think if your handy with a spanner and confident to take most stuff on then they can be run reasonably economically, especially if its only a weekend car (ie you can afford to have it off the road for a few months worst case whilst you source stuff).

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mark chandler

posted on 1/5/13 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I found parts to be no more expensive than other cars on my 928, what I did find was the quality was much higher and plenty being broken with a limited resell market kept the price down.... They do not go mechanically wrong really.

The electrics are overly complicated, the fuel injection a PITA but you can always replace with an aftermarket system today if it fails badly.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.