Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: suspension brackets haynes roadster
hellbent345

posted on 27/2/09 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
suspension brackets haynes roadster

im doing the haynes roadster, and have finally got round to attempting to weld on the front suspension brackets, however, to put the brackets where they need to be puts them about 7-8mm away from the chassis tube they are supposed to be connecting to. This is becuase of a combination of welding distortion, moving the chassis tube maybe 1 or 2mm up and a few in, but mainly because the suspension brackets im using have had the holes cut 4mm to close to the chassis side, (bought not made)

So what can i do to fill in this huge gap? its a bit too big to gob weld in and ive fully welded the chassis, so i wouldnt distort the positions of the brackets as i would have done if id welded it after positioning the brackets. I dont have a very powerful welder either so i cant machine a spacing block really either without being worried about the penetration of the weld... any bright ideas..?

Thanks very much
al

[Edited on 27/2/09 by hellbent345]

James

posted on 27/2/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you use those brackets (holes 4mm to close), are you going to be able to fit your wishbones in? Mine are a bit close. The wishbones fit fine, but the shocks are *almost* too big to fit.

I would have thought you could get away with fitting 2x3mm and a 2mm plate behind the bracket. But it's going to look ugly!

You might get away with just leaving it 8mm out. It *will* have some degree of effect on your suspension.... but I doubt it's enough to be noticeable.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 27/2/09 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
simple send me a drawing for the correct brackets you know will fit then some chap or chappess delivers them right to your door

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.