Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec
goaty

posted on 19/5/09 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec

hey guys,
I am looking to buy a duratec but wanted to ask some peoples opinions on mileage of the motor.
I have found one for £300 not too far from me and the mileage is 98k.
I know its fairly high but i am planning on all new forged pistons and rods etc so do you think the mileage will make any odds?? I know the crank may have some wear but woudl a regrind solve this if it was found to be worn??
what do you think???
cheers

philw

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goaty
hey guys,
I am looking to buy a duratec but wanted to ask some peoples opinions on mileage of the motor.
I have found one for £300 not too far from me and the mileage is 98k.
I know its fairly high but i am planning on all new forged pistons and rods etc so do you think the mileage will make any odds?? I know the crank may have some wear but woudl a regrind solve this if it was found to be worn??
what do you think???
cheers

If you are planning to do all the above just take it apart and see if at worst needs a re-bore, then all you do is buy oversized pistons.

Must try harder

hughpinder

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Compression test before strip out?

Regards
Hugh

flak monkey

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
You would be better off finding a low mileage one TBH. High milers are known to suffer big end problems (150k+ miles normally though) and I wouldd definately want to see one of 100k miles running before I bought it!

I dont think oversize pistons are available for the duratec yet, neither are oversize main/big end bearings.

They do come up on ebay regularly, its just waiting for one with a reasonable mileage at a low price. (The fiesta ST150 engine is a duratec, and they are often listed cheaper).

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

viatron

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
If you doing that lot it wont make any difference unless the bottom end is so bad the crank is beyond a regrind. One of our sponsers does duratec pistons and rods and does the pistons in oversize

www.performanceenginecomponents.co.uk
01376 583030

Ask for Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
only 48k on this one. £500 though

ebay

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
philw

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
only 48k on this one. £500 though

ebay

Good find but, anybody can make up a milage, says from a 2002 car if you say an average of 8k per year(which is very low)=56k, most do 12k upwards.

Must try harder

goaty

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
it will be going overbore as i have found a supplier from the states, i will go see it running before i decide but think it shoudl be ok.
thanks for allt he advice guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.