Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Still not bloody working!
leemarkadams

posted on 11/8/09 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Still not bloody working!

Hello all, well have got a replacement relay as in the post here:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=118624

Connected it all up, with a working fuel pump too, and nothing. When you turn the ignition key to position 2 the fuel pump does not even prime like it used to!

So, any ideas as to what to try next, as have done all the tests in the workshop manual and they all passed ok (except the relay).

The only things I can think of are the side stand switch (but am getting a negative signal on the light blue wire at the relay), as the neutral switch is working. So what else can I sodding well do (before I think of ripping the whole car apart :mad............If it is the side stand switch how do I ensure it is bypassed correctly?

As I said before it was working really well on the track day before it just coughed and spluttered then died. Initial tests showed the fule pump was not working at that time, further tests have shown the relay was gone too.

Anyway, any help greatly appreciated as I do not want to call in a professional if I can help it!

Thanks

Lee

[Edited on 11/8/09 by leemarkadams]

rgrs

posted on 11/8/09 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have a test meter ?

Roger

leemarkadams

posted on 11/8/09 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rgrs
Do you have a test meter ?

Roger

Hello, yes I do have a test meter, in fact just been out in the garage now and am not getting a signal at all on the blue/yellow wire to the relay (coming from the side stand) so wonder if that is an issue?

rgrs

posted on 11/8/09 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Does your loom contain the cycle lock option ?
and whats the voltage on the 1st wire red/black left connector with the ignition on

Roger

[Edited on 11/8/09 by rgrs]

leemarkadams

posted on 11/8/09 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Does your loom contain the cycle lock option ?
and whats the voltage on the 1st wire red/black left connector with the ignition on

Roger

Just tested the wire and it is getting 13.46 volts. Am also getting power to the coils red/black also.

As for cyclelock, no idea, as the car was buult when I bought it and was running fine until the track day.

rgrs

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
check if you have a neg on the black/yellow 4th from left.

also have you tried the fuel pump off the car

leemarkadams

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
I have a negative on the black/yellow you mention and the fueln pump works fine if you run wires direct to it.

Bloody car!

mad-butcher

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Lee
Take the fuel pump fuse out and make shaw you have 12v on the terminals, then try putting a new fuse in, (or at least one you know works )

tony

[Edited on 11/8/09 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Flamez

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Although my car is a kawasaki I wired the two wires in the connector of the side stand directly together and it works fine

my build mac1motorsports

adithorp

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
It's unlikely to be the clutch, side-stand or neutral switches as they all stop the starter operating. From what I remember of your earlier posts it does turn over?

Does your car have the Cyclelock? Most BEC are built with looms that don't have it.

adrian

[Edited on 11/8/09 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

leemarkadams

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help so far, but still no joy!

Not getting the fuel pump priming via the relay, or the engine sparking! It will turn over but will not fire and no spark seen with a plug out and grounded......

Lee

rgrs

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Try wiring the fuel pump direct to a 12v supply, the pump should then run until pressure is reached and then shut down. Once its done this try starting the engine, at least this will show if its a supply problem to the pump only. Check to see if there is a spark.

Must type faster

Roger

rgrs

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Seems it could be related to your ecu, disconect the ecu and check for corrosion. whilst its still disconected with the ignition on apply a neg to the blue/red on the ecu connector. The fuel pump should run. If it does then the fault is either the ecu or if fitted the cycle lock system. This is an anti theft device and a bit of a pain.

Where abouts are you ?

Roger

mad-butcher

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry just been out to check and I should have said ignition fuse

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Without knowing if the Cyclelock is fitted or not it's not really posible to diagnose the problem.

If it is fitted it could well be that. If not fitted then you're working from the wrong wiring diagram.

adrian

mad4x4

posted on 11/8/09 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ok not knowing much about bike electrics I would throw this in to the equation

If the Fuel Pump is not running and there is no spark then that would be typical 2 point imobilisation of a thatcham Alarm system (cyclock??).

So what you will need to do is trace the wire back from the fuel pump back to find the imobilser (which will be seperate from the ECU well possibly) and try and figure out why it is energised.

Usually a car will have 4 Door switches and and a movement detector (inside) with possibly a tremble switch as well as crank switch etc.

On a Bike not so sure. there must be a tremble switch to stop someone wheeling the bike away. as well as a side stand switch and a crank switch - One mate had a pressure switch under the seat so the bike would only start if he was sitting on it.

It could be that the track day has caused the tremble switch or one of the other switches to fail so the bike thinks the alarm is constantly enabled.

Do you know what bike the LOOM came from you may be able to get the OEM diagram,

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

leemarkadams

posted on 11/8/09 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Seems it could be related to your ecu, disconect the ecu and check for corrosion. whilst its still disconected with the ignition on apply a neg to the blue/red on the ecu connector. The fuel pump should run. If it does then the fault is either the ecu or if fitted the cycle lock system. This is an anti theft device and a bit of a pain.

Where abouts are you ?

Roger

Tried this and not a sausage!! Whether a positive or a negative is applied to the wire you mention.........

Really starting to get despondant now and the wife is not too impressed as she did not want me to get the car!! Still, could always be worse I suppose!

Any more ideas before I rip out all the wiring and start again, as do not really want to do this as it was working fine before!

Lee

leemarkadams

posted on 11/8/09 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Without knowing if the Cyclelock is fitted or not it's not really posible to diagnose the problem.

If it is fitted it could well be that. If not fitted then you're working from the wrong wiring diagram.

adrian

How do I tell if it has cyclelock fitted? It was working fine before.....

adithorp

posted on 11/8/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leemarkadams
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

adrian

How do I tell if it has cyclelock fitted? It was working fine before.....

Either...
Ask the guy who built it. While your at it ask if there's an inertia switch somewhere (that'd cause your problem) or a security switch hidden away that might have been knocked off.

Or...
Check the wiring against the diagram in your last thread and see if you can trace wires going to the cyclelock.

I'm more familiar with the injection engines but I think...
Without the lock you'll have main ignition wires red switched to brown/blue and secondary ignition of blue/yellow to blue/black. The secondary might be perminently connected in the loom, but if disconnected/broken would cause your problem. If the ignition feeds to something else then you've probably got a Cyclelock.

Tracing back the existing loom has to be simpler than making a new one.

leemarkadams

posted on 12/8/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a motorbike mobile mechanic round (friend of a friend hence lo-cost!) and he reckons it could be the ICU if everything else has been checked, so I guess that is the next thing!

Ah well, a call to Yorkshire engines it is....

Lee

mad-butcher

posted on 12/8/09 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
were abouts are you maybe someone handy could loan you theirs to try

tony

leemarkadams

posted on 12/8/09 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I am near Portsmouth.........

Thanks

Lee

leemarkadams

posted on 13/8/09 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Well, bit the bullet and ordered an ICU from Malc at Yorkshire Engines, so will give it a try when that arrives.

If that does not work then I guess it will be strip all the old wiring out and start again, as was planning on doing that over winter anyway as well as put in FIA cut off, savage switches etc...

Lee

RickRick

posted on 13/8/09 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
do you have a lean angle switch on a 99 r1? if so having this facing the wrong way, atleast on my 05 presents the same problem, turning over, no fuel pump or power to injectors
leemarkadams

posted on 13/8/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
do you have a lean angle switch on a 99 r1? if so having this facing the wrong way, atleast on my 05 presents the same problem, turning over, no fuel pump or power to injectors

Have not seen one on mine, as did not build it but looked at everything else and not seen it at any stage. I am sure mine does not have 1...

I will get it working again!

Lee

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.