Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keeping a sealed gel batt n charge indefinately? Bad idea? Looking to run a car stereo in house.
gazzarose

posted on 5/2/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Keeping a sealed gel batt n charge indefinately? Bad idea? Looking to run a car stereo in house.

Hi guys,

First of all I know ifs not techically in a car but it is related, so bear with me.

Im in the process of reoing my kitchen, and thought it would be a good idea to use a car stereo I've got lying round. Its a dvd mp3player so would be handy to have. Only thing is how to power it. I first thought of using a big regulated power supply like a PC psu or similar, but if I wanted to be able to store presets and be able to turn it on with the remote, it would have to be on 24/7. So then I thought about using a small sealed gel battery (like those used in booster packs or burgular alarm) with a trickle charger keeping it topped up. It wouldn't have to be much, because for the length of time the stereo would be on it would take ages to run down the battery. What does everyone use on they're cars during the winter? If it works I could use the stereo to power a couple of waterproof speakers in the garden, and maybe do something similar in the garage (I'd just like to use some of the stereos I've collected from my boy racer days).

Regards

Gareth

flibble

posted on 5/2/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm probably missing something important being a little drunk but can't you just get a normal 240-12v adaptor from argos etc, cut off the little minijack thing and solder on an adaptor for the stereo (either homemade or cut one of the halford stereo adaptors up)?
McLannahan

posted on 5/2/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't a car battery charger be more suitable?
graememk

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
car battery charger wont be 12v, so dont use one of them.

Fozzie

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well not sure about the application you intend ..but to answer one of your questions....

When ever the car is not in use, I always use this:-

ctek xs800 linkydink

Whether or not it is suitable for your particular needs, I have no idea....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

gazzarose

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
The stereo needs 10A to run properly, so would need quite a substansial 240-12v adapter. It would also need to be left on all the time to allow the stereo to be left in standby mode as well as keep the stereo presets. So I think what I need is a 'smart' trickle charger to keep the battery topped up without cooking it. I work with boats and they have chargers on them running 24/7, but they're big chargers capable of 20-30 amps and pretty expensive. So i want something, locost(ish) thats going to be reliable and not set fire to my house,lol.

Thanks for the fast replies.

Gareth

Fozzie

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazzarose
The stereo needs 10A to run properly, so would need quite a substansial 240-12v adapter. It would also need to be left on all the time to allow the stereo to be left in standby mode as well as keep the stereo presets. So I think what I need is a 'smart' trickle charger to keep the battery topped up without cooking it. I work with boats and they have chargers on them running 24/7, but they're big chargers capable of 20-30 amps and pretty expensive. So i want something, locost(ish) thats going to be reliable and not set fire to my house,lol.

Thanks for the fast replies.

Gareth

See my post above and click on the linkydink...

Plenty of info about the different cteks....I have the 800 ..... But although you may not think it is lo(w)cost......I think it's worth every penny...

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

stev24276

posted on 5/2/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
hi you can use a 240v-12v power supply that CBs use when use a moblie rig as a home rig you can get them from maplins for about £20,
hope it helps

bi22le

posted on 6/2/10 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
i have a similar set up bt home. I use to do car electrics for a living and gathered some bits. I have a kenwood stereo inc 6 disc changer. It also has a small amp. It all runs from a largeish pc power supply. I play cds and mp3. Im not bothered about turning it off because its on shuffle. Radio 1 is on preset 3 with one tap down on autoseek. I find it very good and useful! No problems to report

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Steve G

posted on 6/2/10 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Personally i'd just go and buy a DAB digital radio - save all the hastle of trying to bodge a radio and speakers into a kitchen unit - which if it doesn't work will just leave you with a redundant hole in your new unit.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/2/10 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
Personally i'd just go and buy a DAB digital radio - save all the hastle of trying to bodge a radio and speakers into a kitchen unit - which if it doesn't work will just leave you with a redundant hole in your new unit.

borrow one first and check it plays in the kitchen as mine wont work in there it just bubbles

rgrs

posted on 6/2/10 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to use a battery and charger then you can but make sure that the battery is designed for continuous charging, such as yuasa NP series and the charger is designed for sealed Gel batteries.

Its not going to be very cheap but try a local fire or security alarm company charger/psu £20-30 and 2 x 7Ah batteries £35.

Roger

gazzarose

posted on 7/2/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've been having a think and I think I'l probably use one of those cheap solar panels for keeping cars topped up. Would be a lot less hassle, and no risk of over charging (not with the amount of sun we have anyway,lol).

Thanks for all the replies

Gareth

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.