Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modding DCOE Trumpets, anyone tried it?
r1_pete

posted on 11/2/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Modding DCOE Trumpets, anyone tried it?

I have a set of 60mm long trumpets on my DCOE's, I want 16mm ones, so I can fit some K&N filters.

What I was thinking was to cut them down, anneal them, then re create the bell mouth in the lathe, in a metal spinning sort of way.....

Anyone tried this? I have 6 to do or buy which would be well over £100.

Or, what would the trumpets and gauze filters be worth in say a 4 and 2 lot?? Rescued attachment My E Type 3.jpg
Rescued attachment My E Type 3.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jed

posted on 11/2/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 4 x 16mm trumpets that were for my DCOE 45s that I no longer need. Just to confirm though, the outside diameter that seats into the carb is about 48mm and the internal diameter is 45mm. I never did fit them but picked them up as being for the DCOE 45.

PM me if you're interested.

Jed

RAYLEE29

posted on 11/2/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
if i remember correctly at that short your better of with stub stacks
better flow apparently
Ray
you coul try and spin them out youd need to put them up in nearly fully encompassing soft jaws with a bung in the middle.
use a small bearing (possibly from a roller skate shop) bolted to a piece of steel mounted in the toolpost and use a high speed try and work it out a little at a time be carefull if youve never done it before it takes a lot of pressure and also the metal may split
hope this helps
Ray

rick q

posted on 11/2/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Instead of modifying the trumpets to fit K&N's, have a look at Unifilter foam socks :- http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d135.html .

You can get them as all foam i.e. no rubber mounting neck. Filter efficiency is as for the K&N's, I believe. Over here, they're inexpensive [$Aus65.00 for 4]

I had them fitted for a time - they stretch over the bellmouth and you fix them behind the bellmouth with cable ties - just make sure you get long ones so there's enough filter left in front of the bellmouth. I used 150 long

MikeRJ

posted on 12/2/10 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
The socks don't flow very well compared to a full filter. Then again, it looks like those horrible gauze "filters" on the OP's pic, and you might as well put a cork in the end of the carb for the reduction in flow they give. They don't do any filtering worth speaking of either.

If those are gauze filters, and you remove them you may well find you need the carbs re-jetted (assuming they were jetted with them fitted).

[Edited on 12/2/10 by MikeRJ]

andkilde

posted on 12/2/10 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK the K&N filters that suit DCOE carbs are available in a deeper 3 1/4" version that might suit your existing trumpets.

http://www.knfilters.com/racing/customcarb.htm

Do you have room for these perhaps?

t

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.