Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing Oil, sucking it out, whats best.
a4gom

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Removing Oil, sucking it out, whats best.

I'm led to believe many garages do not remove the sump plug to drain the oil but suck it out from above.
I'm interested in this for two reasons
1, I have been considering this method for a while as I'm fed up of lying on the ground outside the house struggling to get the plug out on our tin tops and getting covered in oil!
2, I took the plug out on my newest venture only to find the plug was actually loose! the thread in the sump has stripped! After a bit of investigation I found there was actally still a bit more thread in there so I've made a new plug from a longer bolt. Its nipped up this time but there wasn't a lot of thread left and I don't want to count my chickens.

Looking advice on the following: advantages / disadvantages, best tool to use / where to get it from?

Locost would be good oh I have access to a compressor if it makes any difference.

TIA

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

MikeR

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
i've got a silverline oil extractor - got a small one to get gearbox oil out. Haven't tried it yet but it wasn't that expensive.
mookaloid

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
have a look in machine mart for oil extractor

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

smart51

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have an oil syringe thing. Holds about 0.5l at a time. I used it for putting diff and gearbox oil in the cappuccino from underneath the car. Can also be used to remove oil.

The smart ForTwo doesn't have a sump drain plug at all. The only way in is through the dipstick hole. Smart dealers pump the oil out through that and fill it the same way.

adithorp

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
There are vacuum extractors and we've got one and it works (or did till the pipe split) but find it too slow unless we have no alternative. The dealers do it but then in many cases thats all they do on a service.

Is the stripped plug in a VW ally' sump? They seem to be the worst for that. We helicoil them and don't have any problems after.

adrian

[Edited on 12/3/10 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mcerd1

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'd rather drain it out the bottom - the plugs obviously normally at the lowest point so all the crap should come out with the oil
if suck it out the top who knows what your leaving in the bottom
(especialy the ones that just attach to the dipstick tube)

lots of garages just do whatever is quickest - not best for the engine....
I know one place that used to stab a hole in the oil filter with a screwdriver then run the car till no more oil came out

[Edited on 12/3/10 by mcerd1]

-

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have been using a Seago Vacuum oil extractor for a while on the tintop it sucks the 5w/30 out the sump in about 5 minutes and drains it very near as well as the drain plug.
It is so easy and mess free I now change the oil every 5,000 miles instead of the recommended 15,000, although I tend only to change filter every second change.
Identical units are sold under many different brands.

It is best to buy from yacht chandlers as they are much cheaper than the identical items sold under brands like Sealey.

I have a smaller "Silverline" brand 2litre one that I use for other fluids but the quality isn't as good quality..

Chandlers also sell 12v electric extractor pumps which are probably easier to use,

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I'd rather drain it out the bottom - the plugs obviously normally at the lowest point so all the crap should come out with the oil
if suck it out the top who knows what your leaving in the bottom
(especialy the ones that just attach to the dipstick tube)

lots of garages just do whatever is quickest - not best for the engine....
I know one place that used to stab a hole in the oil filter with a screwdriver then run the car till no more oil came out

Really dosen't leave anything in the sump --- I changed the sump on my son-in-laws R45 the vacumm extractor left nothing inside even though the oil was manky 20w/50 mineral, it probably sucked the oil to a slightly lower than could have be gotten out through the drain plug,

[/I]

mcerd1

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Really dosen't leave anything in the sump --- I changed the sump on my son-in-laws R45 the vacumm extractor left nothing inside even though the oil was manky 20w/50 mineral, it probably sucked the oil to a slightly lower than could have be gotten out through the drain plug,

fair enough, but I'll still drain it out the bottom
I change it every 5k, but then I've got access to a 4 post ramp to make it easy (especialy getting to the filter up the back of the engine )

-

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.force4.co.uk/859/Force-4-Oil-Extractor-Pump.html
http://www.force4.co.uk/7760/Seago-Oil-Extractor.html
http://www.force4.co.uk/1947/Force-4-Oil-Changer-12V.html

http://www.mptools.co.uk/products.asp?partno=104616 £16.02 Incl. VAT !

[Edited on 12/3/10 by britishtrident]

[/I]

a4gom

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, Adrian, the sumps on a 406 diesel pug, there looks like there is plenty of material to be able to do a repair but like I said I have been thinking of doing it this way for a while so will probably try it out.

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

ReMan

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
"I know one place that used to stab a hole in the oil filter with a screwdriver then run the car till no more oil came out "

I think that there was a move by local authorities to enforce/ensure that garage trade bought the kit, and used the suck out method for "environmental reasons"

bassett

posted on 12/3/10 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
For me its always warm then just remove the sump bolt. There is loads of crap stuck to the sump so I sometimes remove this aswell and give it a good clean and also a good time to check the pick up mesh (just have a gasket ready) and when refitting where possible i use a magnetic sump plug which catches a suprising amount of metal.

[Edited on 12/3/10 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Tatey

posted on 12/3/10 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've just purchased one of these, as I wasn't looking forward to doing my first ever oil change, due to the risk of getting oil everywhere, this should make the job easy to do.

Cheers

02GF74

posted on 12/3/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

hmmm, you are probbly thinking of old skool engines, cross flow, pinto, rover v8, zetec maybe .... it wouldn't surprise me that modern engines run so clean and are built to much tighter tolerances that there will be a lot less solids and crud.

there are even gearbox now that are sealed for life so no way to top up oil on them.

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Fully synthetic oil makes a big difference, particularly the grades at the lower viscosity end like 5w/30, you just don't get the carbon contamination and varnish build up.

When change the oil on the tintop it looks amazingly clean for an engine with 80,000 miles on it --- although the last 10,000 have been on LPG which helps a lot.

MakeEverything

posted on 12/3/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got the room, put cardboard down to cath any drips, and use the sump plug to remove the oil if its at the lpwest point. The flow of oil will remove most of the sediment with it, but be aware of how much oil is in the engine!! I tried to drain 7L with a 5L can to catch it in, dropped the plug in the full 5L tub, and got stuck under the car with my finger in the hole full of warm oil!! I eventually had to take the plunge ad spill oil (over the cardboard) that was displaced when I put my hand in to fish out the drain plug!!

[Edited on 12-33-10 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

bimbleuk

posted on 12/3/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using a hand pumped vaccum jobbie from CBS. I use it for just about all the liquids on a car.

When I stripped the engine bay of an RX7 recently I ran the nozzle up evey pipe on the car which contained a liquid. There's plenty of places where pipes don't naturally drain. This made the whole process a lot cleaner than I've experienced before especially as it wasn't my drive I was working on!

MikeRJ

posted on 12/3/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have been using a Seago Vacuum oil extractor for a while on the tintop it sucks the 5w/30 out the sump in about 5 minutes and drains it very near as well as the drain plug.

I use the same one on my car, and it does an excellent job. The first time I tried it I undid the sump plug afterwards to see how much it left in and barely anything came out.

I do find you need to get the oil nice and hot first or it takes forever.

Canada EH!

posted on 12/3/10 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have a small brass suction device for my inboard boat, I find it just as messy as dropping the drain plug on the car and your hands still get hot from holding the brass tube.
There are large vacuum units which hold about 6 litres that the marina's use to service the boats, but expensive.

gazzarose

posted on 12/3/10 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
In mork with us we use a sucky outy thing when we service the boats, theres no room under the sump to get a tray under so its the only way with out dropping the oil into the bilge. We do it with everything from V8s to big diesels. The VW marine diesels, actually have a pump built in, so you just push a button and it pumps its self dry.

Gareth

mcerd1

posted on 12/3/10 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
hmmm, you are probbly thinking of old skool engines, cross flow, pinto, rover v8, zetec maybe .... it wouldn't surprise me that modern engines run so clean and are built to much tighter tolerances that there will be a lot less solids and crud.

zetec = old skool thats modern as far as I'm concerned

but I did start of with a 21 year old mk1 fiesta running half decent mineral oil, but it was actually quite clean (it had only done 24k when I got it )

quote:
Fully synthetic oil makes a big difference, particularly the grades at the lower viscosity end like 5w/30, you just don't get the carbon contamination and varnish build up.

When change the oil on the tintop it looks amazingly clean for an engine with 80,000 miles on it --- although the last 10,000 have been on LPG which helps a lot.

There was a bit of crap in the bottom of the focus sump at 80k (1.8 zetec, sump rusted through ) but I've no idea what oil it had in it before I got it
The semi synthetic 5w/30 I use now is a lot better
but its doesn't stay clean for nearly as long as the crapy old pug 106 I had before that, the focus must have had a bit of a hard life before I got it

-

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Big difference between semi and fully synthetic. Havoline Energy 5w/30 fully synthetic is only 17 quid for 5 litres from Morrisions petrol stations.

I once put Castrol Magnatec in the engine but was so uhappy with it out it came after 1,000 miles.

[/I]

mcerd1

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I once put Castrol Magnatec in the engine but was so uhappy with it out it came after 1,000 miles.

thats what I've been using in the focus, but I've only done a couple of changes since I got the car - it worked a treat in the 106 though..... (that car just doesn't want to die)

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.