Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage at the bottom of the garden Q's, what to make driveway from?
Antnicuk

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Garage at the bottom of the garden Q's, what to make driveway from?

I am looking at buying another house as i need more space and would like a double garage. I have seen a house which ticks almost all of the right boxes. It doesnt have a double garage but it looks like i could build one at the end of the back garden which i dont mind.

The house has a 10 foot gap down the side way giving access to the back garden so i could get the car through but my question is for ideas on what to make the driveway out of that would run down the 130 feet to the end of the garden where the garage/workshop would be. It will only be to store the toy cars and not the daily tin tops which would be out the front so only used once at weekends when the weather is nice.

Obviously concrete slabs are the cheapest but as it would be a long strip about 1/3rd of the width of the garden all the way down its length i would like something that doesnt spoil the look of the back garden too much.

If i leave it grass it would be mullered after a few summer weekends when i take the car out.

Any ideas?

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

owelly

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Either 'grow-through' plastic waffles or the concrete equivalent?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Gravel, plant through it at the edges and in the middle with low growing plants leaving some car width tracks.

Make sure of the planning situation on the garage before completing the purchase if it's a deal breaker.

[Edited on 31/3/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

nick205

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for the grow through plastic stuff too. Once grown in you'll be able to mow over it like the rest of the lawn and driving a light kit car up and down when it's mostly going to be dry won't wreck the grass.

Dead quick, cheap and easy to install as well.

bmseven

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Either 'grow-through' plastic waffles or the concrete equivalent?

Agreed Grass crete blocks linky

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

coozer

posted on 31/3/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Get the pikeys in for some flexible grow through tarmac.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

YQUSTA

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Get the pikeys in for some flexible grow through tarmac.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

garyo

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have exactly your proposed situation, and have had for the last four years. I too thought lots about embedding various plastic hex waffle thing in the ground, and eventually I procrastinated to the exent that I realised I didn't need anything at all. You can drive a car over grass once a week with no real issue if you're on fairly firm soil/clay.

Summary - you're going to dig it up to fit something anyway, so why not wait and see whether you actually need to dig it up.

Gary

Irony

posted on 1/4/10 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
My girlfriend works for the drainage department of DEFRA and due to drainage laws you are not going to be able put down paths or driveways that water can't soak through. This is because of our increased non-perminable surfaces throughout the UK. Which adds strain to our flagging drainage/sewer system. This is not law at the moment but apparently it will be soon. If you want to put blocks down I would do it quickly.

And the Girlfriend says I don't listen to her when she talks about her job.

fesycresy

posted on 1/4/10 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
My girlfriend works for the drainage department of DEFRA and due to drainage laws you are not going to be able put down paths or driveways that water can't soak through. This is because of our increased non-perminable surfaces throughout the UK. Which adds strain to our flagging drainage/sewer system. This is not law at the moment but apparently it will be soon. If you want to put blocks down I would do it quickly.

And the Girlfriend says I don't listen to her when she talks about her job.

They'll only refuse permission if you ask

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

ashg

posted on 1/4/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
my mate has got concrete blocks with diamond shap holes in them filled with soil which allows you to plant grass. looks pretty good think it cost quite a bit to do though.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

martin1973

posted on 1/4/10 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
mini digger + couple of skips + 20 ton of gravel = sorted and you dont have to mow gravel.

martin

Peteff

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Limestone chippings 3/4" to dust will compact nicely over time with water and weather. Put some boards either side to give an edge to work up to and add come cement sparingly if you want, 9:1 would be plenty.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Antnicuk

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, i like the idea of less grass to mow, means more quality time........................... in the garage

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

HOL

posted on 9/4/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Used to be a landscape gardener in my youth.
Personally, I would concrete the lot on the same day that you lay the garage foundations.

That way when its dried you can run a van down the drive to deliver the actual building materials for the walls/roof. That will save you carrying it from front to back of the land.

Make sure the concrete mix is strong though, you see too many driveways breaking up with not enough cement in it. At least 4:1.

[Edited on 9/4/10 by HOL]

Super Six Sold -
Proton AWD Turbo Hatch Track Car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.