Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Going to Australia on hols, whats the best way to take money?
gazzarose

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Going to Australia on hols, whats the best way to take money?

Hi guys,

I'm off to Australia for 3 weeks at the end of July so need to sort out how to take money. I've only ever been to Spanish type countries before and usually only for a week so just took euros and not worried about cards or travellers cheques. Only thing is because we're going for three weeks, and not sure what we're doing out there we don't know how much money to take (may go to barrier reef for a few days and/or hire a car). I don't want to empty my account, but don't want to be short either. I've tried looking at my banks (HSBC) website but I'm confused about the different charges for my debit card, and can't find any definate fees for a credit card. Is a credid card safer? Cheaper? I havn't got a credit card at the moment but if its worth it I'll get one just for using abroad. Il only spend what I've got so I'll pay it off in full when I get back if that makes any difference. Is one better for cash and one better for spending?

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Cheers

Gareth

fha772

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
In your pocket...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

gazzarose

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
hahaha my sides nearly split then,not, ......

smart arse,lol

norfolkluego

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
In your pouch.....possum

Seriously my son went travelling for a couple of months around Europe (east and west) a couple of years ago, he opened a special bank account which allowed him to use a debit card without incurring any charges for using it abroad and not exposing his 'real' bank account to being ripped off. Pop into your bank and have a word.

gazzarose

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I'll pop into my bank at some stage, just wanted a bit of background first cos they are bound to be biased towards they're cards. Il have a try researching these 'special cards'.

There just seems to be a catch with every normal card I find, Some are free withdrawls, but charge you a fortune on currency exchange, then some are opposite, then some credit cards seems perfect, until you notice they charge you interest even after you've paid it off, its all very confusing.

Thanks

Gareth

Chippy

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just don't take pounds to Aus, the fee's for changing to dollars is stiff. Take a big fist full of Aus dollars. When we went we got ours from the post office, and there is no charge by them to change any left over back into UK pounds, (not that we had many left when we got back, :-) ) HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

daviep

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I can't believe there's anybody on LCB's who isn't an MSE (money saving expert) subscriber.

Read HERE and HERE for the definitive guide to holiday cash and cards.

Love
Davie

Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've just come back from Melbourne with work and I took dollars I exchanged over here. I drew some more out on my VIsa Debit whilst I was there and it cost me about £3 for 100 Aus Dollars (about £65 at the exchange rate).

Didn't show charges at the ATM, just on the statement as exchange charges.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

JoelP

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
when we went to florida years ago we followed the advice on MSE, and got a post office credit card. At the time it was no fees, and an exchange rate at their own purchase rate.

Obviously it may have changed now, but money saving expert is the way forward.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

gazzarose

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant thanks for the replies. Il have a look over at MSE.

Thanks again

Gareth

gazzarose

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant thanks for the replies. Il have a look over at MSE.

Thanks again

Gareth

wilkingj

posted on 2/6/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
DO NOT take more than 10,000 AUS Dollars in total in cash (ie mixed cash total). You will get fined at Customs and possibly have it confiscated.
(Its to do with money laundering, drug purchasing and other illegal activities)

Dont take in ANY food in with you, even an apple from the plane will get you fined.
Some processed foods are allowed, but check first. Unprocessed or raw food, or with seeds, stones, pips, even dried food could be a problem for you. Their fines run from a couple hundred dollars into the tens of thousands of AUS Dollars.

They are VERY strict on what you can take into the couuntry.

Read the declaration form you fill in before you go thru customs / imigration.
Its a LEGAL Document, and ANY falsification, eg saying uou have NO food, and have an apple in your pocket / bag, will get you fined.

They are paranoid about you bringing in pests, diseases etc that will destroy their agricultural economy.

Just read the paperwork carefully, and ASK if you are not sure.

My Cousin lives in Perth WA, and says its a right pain getting into his own country.

CHECK BEFORE you go, and see what you can / cannot take in with you.

Take a credit card, then you have access to other funds. They get funny about people with out any money on them, just as much as those with too much.

Its down under all right... all upside down!

Enjoy, its a wonderful place.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
WanchaiWarrior

posted on 2/6/10 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

Dont take in ANY food in with you, even an apple from the plane will get you fined.
Some processed foods are allowed, but check first. Unprocessed or raw food, or with seeds, stones, pips, even dried food could be a problem for you. Their fines run from a couple hundred dollars into the tens of thousands of AUS Dollars.

They are VERY strict on what you can take into the couuntry.

Read the declaration form you fill in before you go thru customs / imigration.
Its a LEGAL Document, and ANY falsification, eg saying uou have NO food, and have an apple in your pocket / bag, will get you fined.

Sound advice regarding food, however as long as you declare anything you do have, its not a problem. Raw meat or fruit is a definate no-no, but Ive taken through cereal (rice crispies and they could tell what it was by the x-ray), chocolate orange (which they thought was a real orange by its shape), tea bags and bourbon biscuits with no problems. Its the not reading the form properly and not declaring they really dislike with a passion.

Cashpoint machines work the same over here, Cirrus and the like. All countries have a cash limit, but who wants to cart around large wads of notes ? Get a visa card.

Dont forget both parts of your driving liscence (sp?)

Oh and have a great time. Ive been here 4.5 years and just got PR, its sometimes an odd place to be but the weather is great, work is busy (for me) and the relaxed relatively safe lifestyle is great as well.

rick q

posted on 2/6/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
It's the best country in the world - but then I'm biaised!!

Take heed of the Customs thing - they do get pretty serious, but that's why we don't have rabies, mad cow etc etc.

Just get your cash out of a hole-in-the-wall. The convenience is worth the small cost.

cd.thomson

posted on 3/6/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rick q
It's the best country in the world - but then I'm biaised!!

Take heed of the Customs thing - they do get pretty serious, but that's why we don't have rabies, mad cow etc etc.

Just get your cash out of a hole-in-the-wall. The convenience is worth the small cost.

I wont bring anything in if you dont bring anything out!

Craig

Benzine

posted on 3/6/10 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
My grandparents ticked all the 'yes' boxes on the entry visa so they had rabies, were smuggling drugs etc... they couldn't see the boxes properly as they were a pale yellow against a white background When they got to the desk the chap just said "you might want to revise your answers..."

Don't do what my friend's dad did years ago. "Do you have a criminal record, sir?"
"I didn't know it was still a requirement"

I took a big stack of cash with me btw. Bring back double chocolate TimTams

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neville Jones

posted on 3/6/10 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I travel quite often to aus, and the best way to take your money is in UK £ travellers cheques.

DON'T BUY AUS$ HERE!!!You'll need a couple of hundred for arrival cash. Don't take any more, the exchanges are better in aus.

You'll get the best exchange rates on cash most times, but only by a small margin. The travellers cheques cover most situations, and can be cashed as and when you need money, at banks.

The way exchange rates are going, you may even end up getting better exchange as the stay progresses.

Debit cards that work in aus will give you good rates as well, but look out for the hidden charges, and the daily limits.

Travellers cheques and the Debit Card would be a good compromise.

Cairns is for backpackers, full of germans 6 months ago. You've gotta go 200mile west to find the real aus, that's where it starts.

Try Rainbow Beach, and Cabarita Beach as well. The stretch from Hastings Point down to Cape Byron is still quiet and idyllic, once you see it you won't want to leave. ( my stomping ground from birth. )

Cheers,
Nev.

THE LAST TIME I WENT, WE WERE TOLD AT HEATHROW THAT WE WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE PLANE WITH DUTY FREE AT DUBAI, SINGAPORE OR BRUNEI. TRUE!!! ANY BOTTLES IN HAND LUGGAGE WERE CONFISCATED ON CHECKING WHEN REBOARDING THE PLANE AFTER THE FUEL STOPS.

BUY DUTY FREE AT THE AUS AIRPORT ON YOUR WAY THROUGH, SAME AS HEATHROW.

WATCH OUT FOR THE RESTRICTIONS ON WHAT CAN BE TAKEN THROUGH HEATHROW AS WELL.

Edit: Just checked x-rates, as I'm going out again in a month or so. Seems best rates are on cash, by a small margin, then travellers cheques. Some banks are paying more for travellers cheques though. My cousin, who works in a big bank, has always told me to bring UK£ travellers cheques.

There you have it. Aus is not Spain or USA, so deal with it as a local would, or not, your choice. Enjoy your stay.

Go on Google.com.au, and search for exchange rates on the aus banks. The numbers say a lot more than the uninformed hot air here.

[Edited on 3/6/10 by Neville Jones]

coozer

posted on 3/6/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't the world covered in ATM's?

I would take about £500's worth of dollars and a few ££'s.

Then take what you need out the cash machine.

That's what we do when we go on holiday.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Humbug

posted on 3/6/10 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
when we went to florida years ago we followed the advice on MSE, and got a post office credit card. At the time it was no fees, and an exchange rate at their own purchase rate.

Obviously it may have changed now, but money saving expert is the way forward.

Whatever you do, don't use a credit card for withdrawing cash. In addition to any transaction charges that may be applied, you will pay interest from the date of withdrawal.

*** ETA I just checked MSE and apparently the Saga credit card does not charge interest on cash withdrawals if you pay off in full ***

My personal approach would be:

1. Change some AUS$ (£100-£200 worth) here before you go in case you need it for e.g. taxis on the first day (some countries taxis don't take credit cards - not sure about Oz though). If you don't need it early on, you are bound to come across some situations where only cash will do. btw, if you go to Travelex online and order it in advance to pick up at the airport, you will get a better rate than if you just turn up at the airport and ask to change it.

2. Investigate the charges for using credit/debit cards before you go. Also check which ones tend to use more favourable exchange rates. As mentioned, Money Saving Expert has good advice.

3. If you do withdraw cash when you are there, only use debit cards, not credit cards [see above]. If they charge a transaction fee (e.g. £2-3) change £100 worth at a time rather than say £20.

4. Use credit card for larger purchases. Personally I prefer not to have huge amounts of cash on me and I have usually found that the exchange rate, even if it is somewhat loaded, is close enough to the cash exchange price. Plus, depending on he card, you might earn points/miles or whatever.

5. Enjoy yourself

Cheers

Simon

[Edited on 03.06.2010 by Humbug]

BenB

posted on 3/6/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

Don't do what my friend's dad did years ago. "Do you have a criminal record, sir?"
"I didn't know it was still a requirement"

britishtrident

posted on 3/6/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
The best (cheapest) high street way to exchange currency in the UK is at the post office, although if a small PO they may have order oz dollars.

Because of money laundering regulations if you are getting a large ammount of currency take your passport and driving licence for ID.

One final bit of advice don't fly to Oz by Garuda they are ****

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

gazzarose

posted on 5/6/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies, i've been busy the last couple of days do havn't read them yet. I'l have a good read through them all figure out what to do.

Thanks again

Gareth

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.