Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: front splitter how to?
Dale

posted on 6/3/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
front splitter how to?

After way too much time away ( or at least way to much work hours to get anything done) I started on my second fender and decided to change them some as I was never quite happy with the right hand side one. My mold is about 3/4 done and I have smoothed out the inner portion between the nose and the fender and brought the fender to wrap around to the level of the bottom of the nose. Relatively easy to make the existing one look the same.
This gives me an even line across the font of the car level with the bottom of the nose. I would like to bring them down to a splitter that is a seperate piece that sitcks out maybe an inch or so infront of the nose and fenders- I would not mind making this strong enough to work as a minor bumper-mostly for accidental bumping of parking stones or pylons if I do some autocross.
I was thinking of making it out of fiberglass wrapped cedar ( I have plenty of 3/4 inch cedar in the shed) maybe a stip of 1/8 mild steel just over the front of it (3/4 inch strip). any other ideas??
Thanks

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Hammerhead

posted on 6/3/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Lotus 2-11 uses marine ply painted black.
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 14/3/11 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
can you make it in sections - with plastic bolts holding together? theory being the bolts shear - sections refabricated or replaced, maybe out of thin wall ally - bead the edges over to strengthen it. iv just made some ally / fibreglass front arches using same method - very stiff and light. i used sikaflex or similar adhesive to bond them together - left overnight to cure. solid now. painted with rattle cans looks good! ally aint cheap new but if you get a source where it maybe be scratched it may not matter if your painting it. should be cheaper. easy to work as well

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.