Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD: Hollow threaded bolts or rod
sprouts-car

posted on 21/7/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
WTD: Hollow threaded bolts or rod

Afternoon all,

I'm looking for some m10 hollow rod or hollow m10 bolts. Can't see find anything for a reasonable price.
Does this have a special name or is it actually hard to get?

Build blog

SeaBass

posted on 21/7/11 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Would that not be O/D threaded tube or pipe?

I presume it's for a non stressed application.

JC

Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/7/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar requirement a while back. It depends how long you need it, but I wanted some for my nosecone indicators and after being given the idea of here, I just used a pillar drill down the M8 bolts I had and then cut the heads off after I'd done it, simples

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

sprouts-car

posted on 21/7/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Would that not be O/D threaded tube or pipe?

I presume it's for a non stressed application.

JC

Threaded tube seems to be what its called. Seems to be for making lamps and light fitting. Just for indicator extensions, so not much strength needed.

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
I had a similar requirement a while back. It depends how long you need it, but I wanted some for my nosecone indicators and after being given the idea of here, I just used a pillar drill down the M8 bolts I had and then cut the heads off after I'd done it, simples

HTH

I dont have access to a reasonable pillar drill, which might make drilling a little tricky. How hard is it not to "go through the side".

Build blog

Litemoth

posted on 21/7/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
This kinda thing?

LINKY

daviep

posted on 21/7/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on how long you need it's pretty easy to bore a hole down a 10mm bolt. I prefer drilling horizontally so the bolt goes in to the vice horizontallly, assistant stands at the side and makes sure you keep the drill level up and down and you can see that you stay straight side to side.

I'd be confident of mangaing 60mm everytime, just take your time and make sure your assistant keeps correcting you if you start to wander.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

RichardK

posted on 21/7/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Some bmx bikes have hollow head stem bolts, however not threaded all the way down so not sure if this helps?

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 21/7/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
If it's not load bearing, electric lamp fittings has hollow threaded rods. It's a fine thread though!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 21/7/11 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
use a centre punch on the thin end and drill towards the head. Start with a small drill and work up. I did 4 with a hand drill and 2 of them came out usable. Wasting 2 bolts is not really a big deal.

norm007

posted on 21/7/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car
Afternoon all,

I'm looking for some m10 hollow rod or hollow m10 bolts. Can't see find anything for a reasonable price.
Does this have a special name or is it actually hard to get?

How long do you need them???
I could do some for you on my lathe if you like???

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sprouts-car

posted on 22/7/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I need two bits of about 5cm min length. Think I'll try the drilling method. If that fails then the lamp stuff. Thanks for the offer of lathing norm007.

Build blog

norm007

posted on 22/7/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car
I need two bits of about 5cm min length. Think I'll try the drilling method. If that fails then the lamp stuff. Thanks for the offer of lathing norm007.

Offer still stands.

If you U2U me your address I could have em in post before Monday evening.

Something about this, so very wrong.....I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn`t like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nick205

posted on 22/7/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I made my indicator extension pieces like this....

15mm copper pipe, small cross cuts at each end to open the end up, knock in an M8 nut then slightly peen the ends of the tube to retain the nut. Make any length you want and then cover with black conduit or heatshrink etc.

Then use drill press to drill through a short M8 bolt (I found socket caps work best as the socket recess acts a good centre for the drill) to allow wiring through and voila extension pieces made from bits laying around the garage. An hours work tops.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.